7-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted January 06, 2016
Mr. Hutton- thank you for making my MBA transition smooth, and helping me in any way. Mr. Shone- thank you for realizing that i'm good at math, and sharing your personal experiences with us. I learned something new every time.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted January 06, 2016
I learned a lot from their classes. With some of my teachers, I can connect with them on a more personal level.

Posted May 30, 2015
I am a recent graduate. The academics, athletics and arts are all superb, and I could not really ask for more. Not many people will debate the proficiency of these programs. I do, however, wish to dispel a couple of rumors, so here is my own take on the true nature of MBA. First, the school is in no way opposed to diversity, and all kinds of people are welcomed. I greatly enjoyed getting to know many of the students who were different from me, and I do not think they are singled out or discriminated against at all. Second, the all-boy status does not hinder social skills. I have greatly enjoyed getting to know my class, and I feel as if a real brotherhood exists between us that I would not have gotten at a co-ed school. Also, Harpeth Hall works with MBA on a number of events, and I know personally a good majority of the girls in my class there. It is not difficult to be socially active, so do not pass up on this school for fear of social atrophy. In many ways the single-sex nature is MBA's greatest strength. This school has been a fantastic one, and I would not exchange my experience over the past six years for one at any other school.

Montgomery Bell Academy 2

Posted May 29, 2015
MBA is great for a number of reasons. The young men will get a good education (even though their GPA may not reflect it because the coursework is so difficult), and they will learn useful life tools including time-management. Unfortunately, if your child is ANY thing other than a rich, white republican, this is absolutely NO place for him. I made the mistake of sending my black son to this school because I thought that he would receive a great education, and it would be so beneficial to his future. Boy, was I wrong. As a parent, I can honestly say it was the biggest mistake that I ever made. I had heard the rumors, but I didnt believe it. There was no way that "my" exemplary young man could be treated like it was the 1950's. Well, I was terribly wrong. He grew up in a predominantly white Christian school, had many white friends, and didn't understand how much a group of people could "hate" so much! The children that he went to school with were taught to act the way that they do. They're led to believe that they're better, and this institution encourages it. MBA is considered a very traditional school, and they most certainly are. Take a look at how many African-American educators are on staff there - NONE. Take a look at how many African-American young men have left from this institution. This is a private institution, and they can run things anyway they want to (Brad Gioia - headmaster - own words). Its very sad that there are still places that exist in this country. Don't be fooled. Do your homework. Your child deserves better than this.

Posted April 01, 2014
I love MBA. I currently attend this school, and it has been the best, and at the same time hardest experience of my life. Our motto, Gentleman, Scholar, Athlete, is truly represented by the good sportsmanship, number of AP/Merrit finalists each year, as well as the oportunities we have for sports (We have 15 varsity sports currently). Not only that, but MBA turns a boy into a true man, and gives that man true character. The great thing about MBA is that here, it is COOL to do things that are weird elsewhere. Like singing, robotics, astronomy, and being in a band. Also, the teachers truly engage in the lesson. Unlike Ensworth, the teachers here truly understand their students and don't mind spending a few extra minutes helping a kid understand a concept. I cannot thank MBA enough for the opportunities and character it's given me. Thanks, MBA.

Posted August 12, 2013
Today my son begins another year attending MBA. He woke-up at 5:50 and is showered, fed, and dressed in his blazer and tie. The excitement is all-over his face. MBA his truly his home-away-from-home. I do agree with some of the comments written below. MBA is a highly-competitive environment. Academically, athletically and morally, MBA challenges you to rise above and overcome. At the same time, the faculty and administration realize that there will be struggles and even set-backs and that learning perseverance is as important as passing AP Exams or being a National Merit Scholar.

Posted August 11, 2013
I owe a great deal to Montgomery Bell Academy. Not a day goes by that I do not draw on my MBA experience, and there is no doubt that my time at MBA has contributed significantly to my success as a husband, father, and businessman.

Posted August 07, 2013
I am a graduate of MBA and a former faculty member. As a student, I was moved by the high expectations of my teachers as well as my fellow students. The environment was challenging and fun. As a faculty member, I was blown away by the commitment of my colleagues to the program and their students. The goals were very apparent. Prepare young men for college and give them confidence to take risks where appropriate and walk away from bad situations. MBA enjoys a unique place in the Nashville community and they take that distinction seriously.

Posted August 06, 2013
MBA is one of the best private schools in the country. There are so many opportunities here compared with other schools (international travel, top-notch debate, less common languages like German or Greek, less common sports like rowing or rifle). The boys are pushed in order for them to excel. There is an emphasis on both written and oral communication. MBA truly prepares the boys for success in college and in life.

Montgomery Bell Academy 3

Posted April 29, 2013
used to be very great school. still is good but it is made up of students, families, faculty who believe in lack of diversity and judgement based on social level, economic stability and athletic ability. basically all minorities are mistreated and are athletes. also the motto is very misleading. they should change it to ATHLETE. SCHOLAR. GENTLEMAN... that would provide outsiders more accurate information regarding the best interests of the school.

4001 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN  37205
Last modified Montgomery Bell Academy is a Private school that serves grades 7-12