7-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I once heard MBA described as having a “culture of excellence.” Now that my sons have been at the school for several years, I can attest to this. The bar is set very high at MBA. Whether it’s academics, sports, arts, or character, the boys are challenged to work hard and make themselves better. This is done under the supervision of outstanding, highly intelligent, and fully committed teachers and administration. What impresses my husband and me is that while the academics are truly unparalleled in the region, there is an equal emphasis on character development. There is also a great camaraderie among the boys at the school. We feel extremely fortunate to be able to send our sons to MBA.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

In 6+ years of my boys attending MBA, I have heard of no serious incident of bullying. In addition, there are several annual school programs that help educate the students and parents on the issue.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Not every school if for every student. MBA is designed to challenge the most talented- Iron sharpens Iron. In an effort to meet the demands of this sub-set, MBA offers college prep - honors - AP - and Accelerated Independent study to the student-body.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Headmaster Brad Gioia has guided MBA to become the premiere private school in Tennessee and the southeast. His policies have drawn intellectual and academic talent to The Hill and MBA's generous financial aid offerings have allowed for a need-blind admittance policy.

Develops character: Strongly agree

MBA teaches honor, integrity, respect, and compassion among the student body via weekly, monthly and yearly seminars, workshops, and invited speakers. The boys have multiple opportunities to give back locally and internationally.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

It is important to attend MBA starting in the 7th grade to grasp the logical sequencing from the early years, overly-attentive teachers, through the senior years, teachers that guide and advise. Early on the boys learn how to be taught, then they increasingly learn how to teach themselves.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

MBA homework is designed to challenge the students' intellect and constitution. It is a stressor that molds critical time management skills. When one has 5 tasks that must be completed in a night and 5 additional items that the student wants to do something must be prioritized... A great lesson for college and life.

MBA has been great for my two boys. From the academic rigour to the excellence on the athletic fields to the esprit de corps of the student body, the institutions sets the pace in Tennessee and the Southeast.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I learned a lot from their classes. With some of my teachers, I can connect with them on a more personal level.

I am a recent graduate. The academics, athletics and arts are all superb, and I could not really ask for more. Not many people will debate the proficiency of these programs. I do, however, wish to dispel a couple of rumors, so here is my own take on the true nature of MBA. First, the school is in no way opposed to diversity, and all kinds of people are welcomed. I greatly enjoyed getting to know many of the students who were different from me, and I do not think they are singled out or discriminated against at all. Second, the all-boy status does not hinder social skills. I have greatly enjoyed getting to know my class, and I feel as if a real brotherhood exists between us that I would not have gotten at a co-ed school. Also, Harpeth Hall works with MBA on a number of events, and I know personally a good majority of the girls in my class there. It is not difficult to be socially active, so do not pass up on this school for fear of social atrophy. In many ways the single-sex nature is MBA's greatest strength. This school has been a fantastic one, and I would not exchange my experience over the past six years for one at any other school.

Last modified Montgomery Bell Academy is a Private school that serves grades 7-12