PK-K, 5-8
Nashville, TN
Before care: Yes

Posted April 28, 2014
My daughter started school in 5th grade and she did not really like it. Now she is on 6th grade and moving to MLK. She loves her school. Some teachers are well prepared, friendly and encouraging. One teacher in 5th grade was rude and not very supportive. Despite this my daughter had advanced TCAPs. My daughter had a challenging 6th grade and talks very positive about her teachers this year. She has the opportunity to be in the math team too. most likely she will be ready to take algebra in 7th grade. This is not an academic magnet school like Meigs. The main difference is that this school takes neighborhood students that sometimes are not well prepared. Those students with advance or proficiency TCAPs move to MLK. We got a letter and it seems that next year qualifying students will move to MLK until the end of 8th grade instead of the end of 6th grade.

Posted March 21, 2014
Im looking forward to going there next year my cousin goes there and I have heard amazing things about this school and looked the school up like 100 times I really like that the time is 8:00 to 3:00 which is awesome and because I saw how many activites they have and how Vanderbilt scholars come every week to help in science which is my dream college so I am looing forward towards this experience.

Posted September 24, 2013
My child is in 5th grade and the last couple of months have been great. She has moved from a good elementary school to this school and is performing equally good because of great teachers. I am glad she is in this school. The new principal Ms. Williams (started this year with my child) is equally efficient. Parents are equally involved with the activities in the school.

Head Middle Mathematics / Science Magnet 4

Posted March 25, 2013
Head Magnet Middle school is a good school, but like every other school, they have some negatives. I am currently in 6th grade at this school. They stress math and science a bit more than the other arts unlike Meigs Magnet. VSVS ( a group of students from vanderbilt ) comes every week and does hands on science activities with us. For math, we enter numerous math competitions. I recently participated in a math competition (MBA) because i was on Head Magnet's wonderful math team. Not all teachers are very good. Some don't teach, don't even have lesson plans, and don't enforce the skills enough. They also offer an encore program ( I enroll in it) which is for the gifted students. Academically, we do okay. We do a lot better in sports than in academics. The school is not excellent...but okay....

Posted October 13, 2010
Because it gives challenging opportunities to pre-teens who need it the most.

Head Middle Mathematics / Science Magnet 1

Posted November 20, 2009

Posted August 15, 2009
My son is starting his second year at Head Magnet and we have been very pleased. The principal Dr. Carr is really on the ball. If there is a problem, she handles it right away. Ms. Nishimoto is the best science and math teacher in Nashville! Looking forward to another great year.

Posted May 23, 2009
Head is one of the best schools.I go to Head next year MLK.I've learned alot from my teachers.Head has a lot of fun activities.Ban,strings,spanish,drama,art,and others.I love my school and i play 1st clarinet in the head middle band.You should try this cool school!!!!

Posted May 13, 2009
We are finishing our 5th grade year at Head Middle. It has been a great year. The curriculum is challenging and the kids are excelling. My son was in advanced classes and in band. He has made new friends and adjusted to the middle school well. Our math and science teacher was in especially good and did lots of fun experiments with the kids. Vandy students came to the science class as well. Facility isn't the greatest... nor the grounds... but what's going on inside is very good. Consider this school.

Posted May 11, 2009
I am currently a 7th grader at HMS and I think its a great school. The academics are very challenging which is good for a student if the like to be challenged. All the teachers are mostly nice and really like to let the students learn in positive and fun ways.

Head Middle Mathematics / Science Magnet
1830 Jo Johnston Av, Nashville, TN  37203
Last modified Head Middle Mathematics / Science Magnet is a Public school that serves grades PK-K, 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Head Middle Mathematics / Science Magnet Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top