Portland, TN

Posted April 07, 2014
Highland, with the strange no touching policy towards a romantic interest, and also with no tv or radio allowed (at least when I was there) left me terribly vulnerable when I graduated and entered the real world. As a matter of fact I believe the failures I endured in those early years after graduation could be chaulked up to culture shock from being sheltered from the world. The teachers for the most part were wonderful, sincere people... I think the ideology and method of controlled exposure to the real world is where the school fails... you can't stay in that environment forever, nor will it help in the long rong of a person's life.

Highland Academy 3

Posted April 23, 2013
Highland was wonderful I spent several years at this school while I agree that the school is not stellar academically I grew into a responsible young adult and I grew spiritually. If I had not come to highland and been influenced by the staff my life would not be the same. If you are looking for a spiritually strong school Highland is the place to send your child.

Posted November 14, 2012
If you're looking for a school where your child needs to act fake and walk on ice with staff members then you have chosen the correct school to send your child to. While it may be a christian environment , the things that go on behind closed doors are worse than some actions that take place at a public school. I don't recommend this school to any parent. The staff try to be involved with students' personal life and try to force themselves upon the students. They allow the students to be involved romantically but even holding hands with the opposite sex can get you into very big trouble, and possibly even dismissal from the school. The rules aren't hard to follow but the staff really try to pick any situation apart. If you don't have a name up there or have a lot of money you won't be "good enough" for the staff. Very one sided and closed minded staff run this school. They only offer a few classes and don't have a big enough variety. The environment is in no way spiritual. The staff force religion down the students throats so much that the kids hate the church. I highly recommend a different school.

Highland Academy 2

Posted April 13, 2012
I grew a lot through my experience at Highland Academy. However, it was not because the environment provided encouraged growth. My year at Highland was very hard for me socially, academically and spiritually. For my tenth grade year, the Geography class was combined with Social Studies and English 10. Consequentially, I fell behind in all 3 areas of learning. Spiritually, Highland is not a very good atmosphere either. This is largely because of the gossip problem. There are sincere staff at Highland. However, there are staff members who are just as much involved in the "cliques" as the students are. Highland allows students to date, while trying to draw a line before "physical interaction" takes place. I see this as absolutely ridiculous. I agree that teens should not be involved physically. However, if you allow them to become intimate in their feelings, their bodies want to express it. I say this as a teen. When I got in trouble for this, the whole student body found out, because the staff were not private about their decision, and were involved in gossip. I highly encourage prospective students and parents to visit Highland before sending your child there.

Posted June 09, 2008
Highland Academy is an excellent school. The teachers and principal are at a more personal level than most public schools. They will always take time out of their schedules to help the student overcome any obstacle they might encounter. The staff also know what they are teaching and are extremely enthusiastic about their respective areas. I reccomend this school to all interested in a close community of students and teachers that will kstay with you even afte you graduate.

Posted May 07, 2007
- a staff
Highland has the unique opportunity to help teenagers in all areas of their lives during this important time of their development. This school offers a variety of programs for teenagers in the following areas: College Prep academic and boarding life, Work place skills, Biblical learning and living, Community Outreach, Music, Sports, Drama, Church involvement, Evangelism, Missions, Computers, Media and Digital tools, Leadership roles and much more. All of these activities take place in a loving,caring,nurturing and safe environment. Highland has as a one hundred year history because once families experience Highland they continue to suppport it. Most importantly is the fact that Highland is a place where students and their families lives are changed for here and eternity.

Posted April 03, 2007
I am so pleased with what Highland had to offer my children.I found the academic program to be superior to most private schools. There were so many extracurricular activities for them to take part in. Something going on all the time. Gymnastic's,band,choir,drama,,mission trips,ski trips,picnic's,ball games. Much too much to list.It would be hard to attend Highland Academy and not have the fun with such wonderful and Christian leadership coming from Don Mathis and his staff. This is a great school to find the best of friends for life. God blesses Highland Academy. Sandi Carney

Posted March 29, 2007
- a former student

Highland Academy 2

Posted November 25, 2006
This school has a few good programs, but they spend way too much on their gymnix program.

Posted November 28, 2005
- a former student
This was a great school but it did have its down sides including limited extracurricular activities(if you weren't involved in drama, choir, band or gymnastics you had very little to do besides go to school),poor principle leadership (Mr. Mathis does not run that school in a organized manner)and teacher quality (although the teacher are kind and encurraging they are not completely qualified for the positions they hold). The school is in whole a good place only if you are specifically wanting college preperation courses.

Highland Academy