Sevier County High School

Public | 9-12 | 1776 students

Posted Thursday, October 16, 2014

As an ex employee I can tell you we had done away with corporeal punishment years before 98. Read the law about interrogation with police. Of you have nothing to hide what would it matter? And yes, underfunded.

Posted July 7, 2013

This school was cool I went there back in like 98 or so and while they still did corp punishment back then I had to threaten the vp if he touched me I would kick his so they would act like normal people.other then that the school was great and the vocational building was awesome , and they had the hottest English teacher Mrs Childress

Posted October 4, 2010

the encouragement of many of the teachers and staff

Posted August 29, 2010

Do you know this school has took students in a room with a police officer and let them interrogation them when they have done nothing wrong and never called the parents, never let them know about it. They call this 'loco prentice" look it up it does not apply!!!!! And when confronted they say that they can do this, they sit in for the parents. WOW

Posted May 15, 2010

I am a senior and for three years I have attended one of the worst schools of my life. The teachers are great, but are unable to do much due to the budget defict. The art department gets little money, the Drama department none what-so-ever, yet they can afford to remodel the stadium, and buy a large flat screen TV that is used to post announcments everyday. Need I mention the bathrooms?

Posted November 6, 2009

The faculty and administration work very hard to see that each student has the opportunity to learn, build self-confidence, and are ready to take their place in today's society as a productive citizen.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 16, 2009

This school is a decent school and there are many staff members that will go out of their way to help you. I've had teachers that would be willing to help you as much as possible. Some staff members are different, but there are various members of the staff that will do everything in their power to make sure your needs are met. Funding priorities are a bit disoriented. The school can not afford certain supplies and tools such as technology for the science department and decent art supplies for the art department. However, they can afford to make various renovations to the stadium. This disappoints me since I believe that the school is not spending their money wisely. They could be using this money to provide for the various departments at our school that actually need funding. School's a bit crowded, but I still enjoy it for the most part.

Posted September 18, 2009

I've read the reviews and can agree with some dating back as far as 2004. This is 2009 going into 2010 and things will never change. The bathrooms are a mess, no locks, no privacy, i've been there. The cafeteria will never change, for two years my sons have been eating out of snack machines because the lines are so long and if you do manage to obtain any food there is no time to eat. The system hasn't changed, still the ole who's who still works at this school. And parent involvement..forget about it!!! They don't want us there!!! I was very involved in middle school, but high school.. The staff thinks it knows better! I've been in the office and when a parent arrives the staff is very edgy and defensive. Things probably are not as smooth as they would like us to think.

Posted September 17, 2009

Oh sevier county...where do I begin. I should have graduated with the class of 2009. Although I instead finished my education at Whites Adult High School. When I was a sophmore at SCHS I got pregnant about halfway through the year and everything went downhill from there. I dont expect kids to turn and look the other way when one of their peers turns into a balloon, but the rude comments and head turning was unbearable. It was obvious to see the way I was treated by both students and teachers was unfair and judgemental. My son is two now, and i'll tell you what, he's not setting foot in sevier county unless he's a star athlete, thats the only way students are treated nice.

Posted June 17, 2009

Much better now that it is under new management of the new principal. One can see that the vast improvements made. Could not always see this with prior administration. Good Job moving up in the world from what is was just a short time ago. Morale is improving and problems are actually dealt with and not ignored.

Posted February 12, 2009

I am so impressed with the quality of education that my child is receiving at Sevier County High School! The teachers and administrators are willing to make time to inform me of my son's progress and are really making him feel secure while learning. I am so thankful for SCHS.

Posted March 16, 2008

I think this school is wonderful! I am in my freshman year and it is wonderful. I just moved here the summer before and I thought I would have a hard time meeting people and making friends. So not true! The people here are great and friendly. It's so diverce here its impossible to not find anyone you can become great friends with. You can get a great education here with so many classes to choose from. And teachers especialy want to help you. It's great! We also are the only school is this area that has a vocational building. So if your planning on finding a school in this area, this school is the best!

Posted August 29, 2007

We are the only school in the area to offer vocational classes. We serve all students and meet their needs. I work with the best teachers ever and we have a new principal who is inspiring change.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 26, 2006

I think all you parentals have it wrong. As a former student and graduate of 05, I stand in protest. Sevier County High School was one of the best times of my life. Sure some of the books and desks were slightly outdated, but when a school is growing so rapidly like that one, it's harder to keep up. I know they were trying! Every year I would help sort through new books and rearrange new desks in rooms. As for the administration, they are the best in town. Noone could ask for better and that 'good ole country boy' bs...they never pushed any type of political stance on anyone. Many have opinions but they would never intend to completely justify their own political views over your own. They honestly informed us more so of a world outside the confines of SCHS. SCHS is one of my best and most missed
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 12, 2005

As a parent of kids that have and are attending Sevier County High i will say that the principals and staff are great. The principal has been around for more than 15 years and has done wonders in turning the school around. Maybe some of these negative parents need to look into how far the school has come along or try putting them in another school if this one is that bad.

Posted September 27, 2005

What problems! Where do I start? Atheletes receive preferential treatment. Big political distinctions. Supplies are nil. Desks are old and probably stay together only from years of gum underneath them. Girls and boys bathrooms do not have doors. Kids are told to buddy with someone to 'be their door' while they go to the bathroom. This is a gross privacy issue. Rest assured, administration and teachers have bathroom doors. Kids do not give up their constitutional rights because they attend public schools. For heavens sake, this is a public establishment and the kids are entitled to bathroom doors! Administration gripes that they have no money, yet, athletic department certainly does not hurt for funds. Priorities in the wrong place. True all over the county. School is large and overcrowded and poorly managed. Morale county wide is very poor. 'Good ol boy' system is rampant here! Our tax dollars spent how?

Posted January 4, 2005

I think that some of you parents are just wrong. Yes, we may lack the beauty of the school, but the teachers are extreamly helpful and friendly. The staff has always been helpful and told me if I needed anything else to come see them. And I have and they have been nothing but kind and helpful. Many of the students I go to class with are extremely rude and disrespectful to the teachers. Most of them sleep in class and could care less. All my teachers have offered extra help always ask if there are any questions and care about us students. The regular lunch is not nasty. And the pizza is our choice to get. I am in the band and it is wonderful to be in.

Posted October 2, 2004

SCHS in my opnion is a very nice school. Although it may not be the most newest school around-It has been around for a long time and the money issue is true. But I do believe that the teacher are very educational. And while alot of the kids at the school dont want to be there i think the teachers make it as easy as they can. While I do believe they teach at the same thing. If a student needs help with something they do help. And about the food policy: Pizza is not the only food they have. They have another bar everyday. And if thats not something they have many of snack machines.

Posted September 17, 2004

As with any school, Sevier County High School has high points and low points. Sure, some things are based on politics (ex. whether you have the 'right' last name or whether your family has money or not) but, honestly, the whole county is like that! As Students of SCHS we resent the appearance of our school when we are supposably rated one of the 'richest counties in Tennessee', looking at SCHS, you could hardly tell that we would be thought of as any kind of 'rich'. Our school looks rusty and moldy and plain gross but no one is doing anything about it. The staff at SCHS is typical. There are the very educated and friendly teachers and then there are the exact opposites.

Posted August 13, 2004

Something is very wrong here. Administrators and teachers talk out of both sides of their mouth. Most children (my child included) learn by example--teachers use foul and profane language in front of students, yet admonish the kids for doing so. Attempts are made by administrators to threaten kids into submission. School food is bad--administrators engage in nepotistic activity--school cafeteria is said to have lost the pizza contract (which was the only edible food) from a local town vendor to a member of the school board's nephew in a neighboring town--now is horrible and does not sell. Few good teachers but most live in their own little world. Very poor coordinator for special education. Lacks initiative and drive. Monies are greatly needed here. The equipment is old and falling apart. Money is not equally distributed in this county school system. Administrators apathetic and not willing to promote positive change. Very scary place!

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

458 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

440 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

446 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 56%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1200 Dolly Parton Parkway