Seymour, TN
Students enrolled: 1,254

Posted November 20, 2014
This school focuses more on getting kids in iss and giving them tardies than they actually do teaching the students. On top of that all the staff is not only full of lyiers, but they will make you seem like they are on your side just to get the scoop and once they're done they throw you under the bus. They don't do anything about racial cases. As a victim of this I was blame for getting called a N*gger because I used the term country to describe a group of kids that were threatening to jump me and hang me in a tree. Do not bing your child here. White, black, Asian, Mexican, Native American, male or female. Do not do it.

Posted July 02, 2014
My time at this school was awful. My main issue was with the other students, who were extremely prejudiced and intolerant of anyone who wasn't a white, straight Christian. It was terribly hard on my mental state to even attend every day because of all the constant negativity being thrown around (usually at others) in every corner of the school. There were frequent fights during school and there seemed to be an upsetting lack of respect for the staff as well (though some of the staff weren't as respectful, either). The school itself was small and cramped, and it always smelled of diarrhea in the halls. In addition, the curriculum was too rushed due to block scheduling. I'm very happy that I moved away from this school, and I absolutely do not recommend enrolling your child here. Avoid this school, the system, or just Tennessee in general, and find better schools.

Posted July 02, 2014
Do not go to this school, send your children elsewhere. This school is filthy, and there were not lights in the main hallway until this year, if that says anything about it. Classes feel rushed and not all material is covered by the end of the semester. Many children and teachers here are prejudiced and intolerant, not to mention sexist. This school lacks in racial diversity, as well as mental diversity. Most kids here do NOT want to learn, and ruin the experience for those of us that do. These children are not dealt with, nor are bullies. Bullies often get lesser punishments if they are in sports programs, or are a white male. My recommendation? Avoid East Tennessee all together, or at least this school system.

Posted January 21, 2014
I believe that the experience in any school will be what the student makes it. If a student wants to do bad things they will and as well as the opposite. What you wish your child to be taught as far as views and morals should be taken care of at home. That way you don't have to worry about it. I have strong Christian values and i actually find that most of the people around me do not, despite living in the bible belt. This is most likely going to be the case anywhere. Although i dont agree with many of my peers i still have friends and i still talk to many people.They know how i feel about certain things because i tell them and we move on. When i am wanting to learn and have a good day at school i learn and have a good day. When i go in not wanting to learn i dont. I would love to make many changes if i could but it appears to me that this would be the case at any school i would go to.

Posted December 29, 2013
My children have grown up in this area all their life. But I am moving my youngest child to another school. I have been very disappointed in the school and their lack of keeping my child safe. Seymour children are so bad for bullying especially the girls. They have a greater then thou attitude. Plus the school has become extremely unclean. The school smells like urine. I would definitely look into another school in Sevier County before sending them here.

Posted July 30, 2010
Parents who are this concerned usually check schools out first before they move their families into an area, did you not do this? As for parent involvement there will always be questions that need to asked and answered, giving up because your tired is NOT an option when it comes to your children, if you don't know the answers then find them. As for the lily-white conservatism, hmmm I guess they did not teach History up North, or maybe you did not take the time to read up on the area before you moved here, we are all Southerners here, not that lily-white conservatism is a good thing nor do I believe in the ways at hand but we do not choose who comes into this area or who leaves, the lack of diversity stems from the stereotypical BS that people like you keep running your mouth about.

Posted October 07, 2009
It has given 4 of my children a good education

Seymour High School 3

Posted September 27, 2007
My kids were starting 5th and 8th grade when we moved here -- they had both learned that year's curriculum the previous year at their school up north! Are there plenty of extracurriculars? Sure - there's even a golf team! - too many distractions and too many choices of classes as well to be part of a high school program. Meanwhile the basics suffer. The education and lily-white conservatism are disappointing to say the least. Especially disheartening is the intolerance hidden in the strong 'Christian' values. Fortunately my kids have survived this environment and still have grown to be loving, intelligent, open-minded young adults. As for parental involvement - I tried, but got tired of the same parents asking the same questions and never coming to any resolution. I have made a few mistakes in my life but the biggest I think was moving my family to Tennessee.

Seymour High School 3

Posted May 31, 2007
Some of the teachers at Seymour High are wonderful, but most are not! I hardly ever had homework, very rarely wrote any papers, and did not have to study and still made good grades. I was not prepared for college when I got there... several teachers went above and beyond to help me and help prepare me for college, but the overall experience was not good preparation.

Posted March 28, 2007
we move to Seymour from the Alabama Gulf Coast I have a 9th grader in School and his grades have never been better he loves his school here and wants to be involved in everything. His attitude and overall look on school life has improved. The teachers are great and when he has a question they always take the time with him to be sure he gets it. I have a daughter in the Middle School and she also loves her school. I would reccomend Seymour Schools to any other in Knoxville. moving to this area is the best thing we ever did for our kids. The entire community is very involved with what is going on in the school compared to schools done south..Thanks to SHS Faculity for a job well done!!

Seymour High School
732 Boyds Creek Rd, Seymour, TN  37865
Last modified Seymour High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Seymour High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top