Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My son is very smart, outgoing and energetic. My opinion... having a student in a self contained class with one teacher for all major subjects in 5th grade is not for every child and apparently not for every teacher. You get little or no support when you call with a concern of any type. The kids have NO FIELD TRIPS, NO SCHOOL PROJECTS. nothing rewarding or fun throughout the year. Education is important but they need a lil fun, smiles and encouragement. Macon-Hall is not welcoming at all so the previous reviews are telling the truth. They are good in academics but kids need more, they want to enjoy sometimes. My son said this was a very frustrating year for him on so many levels and he is a A n B student. This was my son's first and last year at Macon-Hall. Would I recommend this school? If you want your child to sit in a chair and do nothing but learn for 8 hours with little to no activities beyond that. Academic only ...its a good school but my child came from a school that they changed classes interacted with different teachers, they did school projects and had discussion and presentations and to me those things are important in education as well. Macon-Hall doesnt do those things and that works for some but it wasn't a good fit for my son. Please visit before you choose and don't take my word for it. Ask other parents as well. I asked and didn't take heed to what I was told and should've so please visit for yourself and ask many questions. My son is finishing out with a 93 English and 96 Math but his spirits are not very high about school anymore..he didn't enjoy the school year overall and he normally loves school. Look at all your childs needs. I was so big on wanting him to go there for academics I assumed we would love it. They didn't care for my son and put me at ease the way ChimneyRock did. Good for some but wasn't for us. I will be more careful when choosing his middle school

Supports LD students: Neutral

I don't know.. my son is a average learning student

Effective school leaders: Neutral

I have never seen or met the principal so i wouldnt know. I always talk to the Guidance counselor and i met the Vice Principal one time the entire year.

Develops character: Disagree

My son did not feel good about himself after this school.. my son was a E and G conduct student at last school in 4th grade and couldn't get over a S here. They complained about every thing. My son got in trouble for always standing.. always walking to the front. Turned out he needed glasses. He threw away paper a million times today.. ok, well you teach all the subjects. What's minor to a teacher that may have a child one class is major and nerve wrecking to a teacher that has to see the child all day.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

They don't seem welcoming or happy to be teaching. My son learned but he wasn't happy

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework assignments are fair and my son never had any problems with his assignments

The teachers seem very nice and knowledgeable for children outside the autism spectrum. If your child has any form of autism, please do not send your child to this school. Read the forums, The teachers are very inexperienced. Our IEP was basically the school protecting the teacher & neglect him education isolation. I received a call regarding my son having a huge knot on his head. Shelby county schools are full of crooks and don't look for them to have any interest for your kids. Please research and stay away from this school.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

If your kid have any form of autism, run like Usain Bolt from this school!!! They are very very very very very ineffective. They misdiagnosed my kid condition and his behavior started to digress. Their example for attention seeking is when he ask for juice or sweets he gets mad. That's any kid at that age. Please find another school if your child have any learning disabilities. Do yourself a major favor and stay out of the Shelby county school system.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Shelby county has destroyed the education system in Memphis. Teachers are no longer in school for the love of their skill set, merely there for money. This is impacting the quality of education. Avoid Shelby county school system.

my daughter has been in this school for 2 years now and I'm not at all happy with anything. The biggest problem is that they're never welcoming of a parent who needs to speak to a teacher or principle about any matter. My daughter isn't happy with the overload of homework and tests that are almost given everyday. Currently I'm looking for a new home to move to and not be zoned for Macon Hall. This school is just too much pressure on the kids.

Last modified Macon-Hall Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.