Signal Mountain, TN
Students enrolled: 1,325

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 27, 2015
We are pushed to arrive for better and are not left hanging. We get the help we need, we have the people and the facilities to do so. Since our teachers are determined we are also. They will not let us fail.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted July 27, 2015
We have a voice at Signal and that voice is listened to. We respect our teachers and our teachers respect us.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted July 27, 2015
Whenever I have a problem it is solved and I love that about the faculty and staff. There was a time a few years ago when it was harder to get help or to get someone to listen but now in 2015 with all the new faculty and counselors it's great.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 27, 2015
I believe this school gives everyone equal opportunities. Everyone is helpful. There are students who have stronger relationships with teachers but I don't see any favorites. We are talking about a school in a close knit community where your teacher and your mom are bestfriends. I don't think I was c treated any differently.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 27, 2015
I felt very close to my teachers. We respect them and they are very fun. The teachers try to make class as interactive as possible and relatable to the students.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 27, 2015
Homework isn't bad sometimes if you do get homework from multiple classes a teacher might change do dates or make exceptions.

Signal Mountain Middle/High School 5

Posted July 27, 2015
I love Signal. I didn't notice how far behind I was in school until I got there. The teachers are helpful and so are our counselors. I have seen the school change a lot and glad to be a recent graduate. Students have good relationships with the faculty which really helps for college recommendation letters. It's not strict but I feel we got private school learning at a public school. The campus is great and huge. The community is also very involved and caring. We get new books or those that are gently used. At Signal Mountain I noticed there are no "cliques" and everyone is free to do other activities. Football players are also in choir and IB students are friends with the "standard students". There is a lot of diversity but the school is not "divided". There is no perfect school so any middle or high school will have minor problems. We get a lot of freedom at Signal. The only thing I regret is not going there in middle school. If a middle school student is advanced they can take high school courses which is great. I wish I took Algebra 2 in 9th grade. I can't stay brief about this school. If you are looking g for an absolute perfect school home or virtual school would be best but Signal Mountain is close to perfect for a public school!

Signal Mountain Middle/High School 1

Posted May 07, 2015
Do not send your kids to this school. It is full of bullies who are friends of the administration so only the victims get in trouble. I speak from experience, I am pulling my kids out and sending them elsewhere. It's absolutely horrible how they handle things, what a mistake on my part as a parent.

Signal Mountain Middle/High School 4

Posted November 01, 2014
I haven't seen 3 football fields at the school. Re: merging the old Junior High because enrollment was half the projected estimate - adding onto the Junior High was also in Phase 2 of the plan started in the 1990's, and building one combined middle/high school cost less than building just the high school and adding onto an approx. 50 year old structure. My oldest graduated from our former zone school, my other 2 graduated from here. I wish my oldest child could have had some of the teachers my other 2 had here. I only wish arts programs were given as much importance as STEM classes, but I wish that for all schools. My child at the top of his college class in a science field has told me he's found no one at the university who even cares about IB coming in. Maybe it will become more important, but I understood while the school was getting accreditation that it was a program so that a student could be at grade level & on course no matter where his family transferred worldwide. Bottom line - it's a good public school.

Signal Mountain Middle/High School 5

Posted June 24, 2014
My daughter transferred to Signal Mountain from a semi-private school a few years ago and was instantly aware of how far behind she was by Signal Mountain standards. Thanks to the caring and dedicated faculty, she was able to catch up and is now in all honors classes and is absolutely thriving. Signal Mountain has very high standards and is not for the faint of heart but the kids come out more than prepared for college and career. The IB program helps to develop well rounded students who can think and act as problem-solvers. The school is not without its problems (most of which are very small), but overall, we are very, very glad that we made the move to this school.

2650 Sam Powell Drive, Signal Mountain, TN  37377
Last modified Signal Mountain Middle/High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Signal Mountain Middle/High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top