Posted May 21, 2014
Why are so many teachers leaving SMS??? It appears they are treated very poorly, their computers are outdated ,their support is non-existent, Sad to see the kids being directly affected by this.

Posted December 23, 2013
It's funny that the one positive review was written by a teacher with a child there. The school is a complete failure. Many of the teachers are under duress from an admin that has no concept of its student body. Those that are happy with the working environment are part of a small group that consider themselves special for being in close with the admin. By close I mean, taking so-called professional development trips to places like Vegas and getting shots of alcohol poured in their mouths "like baby birds". I heard several accounts of football players "grinding" on the principal at school dances and carnivals. The kids are a really special group of kids who seem to thrive under the slightest amount of actual education. However, many are far below grade level due to the laughable feeder school Smyrna Primary and Stewartsboro, who will send kids out of elementary school unable to read. The kids are not held accountable and this have no reason to want to perform. Though they seem very aware that teachers and admin are only interested in test scores which tie loosely if at all to the skills the kids will need to succeed in the workforce.

Smyrna Middle School 4

Posted October 07, 2013
This is my daughter's second year at SMS and I have to say that I am quite happy with everything. The teachers take the time to email the parents everyday with homework assignments, upcoming events and links to needed information. My daughter never ate hot lunch at her previous school, but chooses to eat it everyday here at SMS. I do wish their website was more up to date, but the teachers in the 7th grade are great at keeping us informed via email. The teachers also give the students multiple chances to better their scores on tests, daily work and cumulative reviews. My daughter (and I agree) has only one complaint - the lockers are tiny.

Posted October 05, 2013
The school basically requires uniforms of you, in a state where no legal law requires it.

Posted July 05, 2013
I attended this school for three years . It was a very hostile environment while I was there . The students do not have the will power to learn , and gave up early on . The students disrespect many ,if not all, of the teachers . The teachers were aggrresive towards unwilling students . The teachers and students just did not care . There were a select few teachers that were amazing such as mr.bratten,mrs.anderson,mrs.salmon,ms.newman,and mrs.shaffer. The only way this school can turn around is if the student body changes dramatically , and the teachers become motivated . The teachers that I listed above deserve better .

Posted November 23, 2012
My Daughter Is a straight "A" student and she says there is too many teachers who act like they are doing there job only when administrators are there. She keeps on complaining how the environment there is very unhealthy (and honestly I've been in there and it really is) and also, like i said she is a straight a student and most of the teachers are only talking about there life and not guiding them to the doors. They also expect the students to know the material the teachers have not taught.

Posted October 02, 2012
My kid saw a teacher slap the kids when they got a answer wrong on a worksheet

Smyrna Middle School 3

Posted December 14, 2011
most of the teachers are great at teaching and very nice . bad parts- the food is disgusting uncooked and gross we have found hairs and spiders and worms in our lunches.a girl got food poisoning last year-they found out because that was all she had eaten that day.

Smyrna Middle School 3

Posted January 20, 2011
i have to agree,parent/teacher/principal communication is very bad. listening to my chid only clarifies what my child is telling me. rutherford county has a fantastic rating,lets keep it that way by opening our eyes and ears to children. they tell it like it is. my child is a very smart girl already and i know when she is speaking truth. lets help make sms a 5 star school,it can be with help from everyone.

Posted February 23, 2010
I am a parent of a student at Smyrna middle school. This is my Child's 3rd year at this school and to say the least I feel very uninformed about what goes and and how my child is doing. Teachers do not do a very good job of keeping the parent informed if the learning problems arise. I feel that education is not the primary focus of this school or I would be more informed.

Smyrna Middle School
712 Hazelwood Dr, Smyrna, TN  37167
Last modified Smyrna Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smyrna Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top