Thurman Francis Elementary School

Public | K-8

Posted June 8, 2014

Thurman Francis is a great school. My son completed Kindergarten with Mrs. Melissa Parker this year. She was a Godsend to our family and made my son's first school experience a very positive and memorable one. I can not say enough about how professional, passionate and positive Mrs. Parker and Ms. Allen (her EA) are. Mr. Duke and Mrs. Templeton are wonderful leaders for TFAA. They volunteer in the drop off lines and in the cafe most days. We have a exemplary PTO and parent involvement is top notch, in my opinion. I would recommend any parent have their child test for this outstanding school in our little Smyrna community. Thank you for great memories TFAA!

Posted April 18, 2014

Thurman Francis is a great school and needs more money. We should all help to get this amazing school more money

Posted November 5, 2013

Went in the class room for a party and Lysol wiped the tables off. The wipe was brown. I called the principal and he said the janitors only clean them and mop on breaks. That is 3 times a school year. The perfect little magnet school is absolutely disgusting. He obviously doesn't care if the children are sitting in filth.

Posted October 5, 2013

The Good news: Ms. Fan. I don't think there can be any higher praise for anybody. Good job. The Bad: Bullying not properly under control. Teachers favoritism, although that's not just this school. The principles makes students write contracts for disciplinary violations. Although minors aren't legally bound by them.

Posted September 17, 2013

Not a fan of TFAA. I pulled my kids out because of the snobbiness of both the staff and parents. All they seem to care about is teaching to the test and if your child isn't cookie cutter, they treat them like they aren't worthy of being there. So glad to be out of there, away from the pressure to be perfect...kids need to be allowed to be kids. They don't need prison wardens, they need encouragement to LEARN, not just how to score well on TCAPS. That being said, my children are both highly gifted and love to be challenged...I was an involved parent. I tried to work with the school, but they didn't really seem to care about the kids, only that they made the school look good. Made me sad to see such snobbiness.

Posted December 6, 2012

I have two kids at TFAA. I love that they are challenged, and that they get to learn through the arts. I also love that they get Spanish, even if for only six weeks a year. My younger son's teacher is a bit negative for my taste. I wish she would talk about more of the positive of the class, rather than just the negatives. My older son is in fifth grade and already changes classes, which seems to be challenging for a 10 year old. That being said, his teachers are all wonderful, and have been trying to help him transition in any way they can. I love the parent involvement for field trips, class projects and parties etc, but the PTO is very small. I also think parents can be a bit snobby, constantly talking about how much better TFAA is and how other schools are jealous, etc. It's very expensive. It seems like every week I'm having to send money in for this or that. Of course I may just feel it more than most, since I have two kids at the school. I have lunch with my boys every week and I have to say that the cafeteria attendants are wonderful. They know my boys by name and always tell me stories about what they were doing during lunch. I also love the crossing guards.

Posted July 19, 2012

My daughter has attended TFAA for four years. Her first three years were great and I had no complaints with any of her teachers. Her teacher last year was very demeaning to the children. When confronted about this, she denied everything despite independent confirmation from five other students concerning a specific incident. This aside, the parent involvement at TFAA is great. Field trips usually provide a 1:1 ratio of parent to student.

Posted July 11, 2011

My son went to TFAA for Kindergarten and 1st grade. After Kindergarten, I was pleased with the school. He learned & great deal and had fun doing it, which is important to keep kids interested in school. However, his 1st grade teacher ruined all the good feelings. She encouraged the students to be competitive in their learning, which left a few of the students feeling like they lacked the smartness that others had. My son's self esteem was greatly affected this year because of his teacher's actions and he cried often about how much he wanted to go to a different school. I know he wasn't the only child in his class feeling this way. While he learned a lot this year, the schhol definitely did him more harm than good in the way of his self image. We have enrolled in a school in a different county and I look forward to his self esteem & image sky rocketing this year. We are both very glad for him to be away from the judging ways of TFAA.

Posted November 18, 2010

My oldest has been at TFAA for 8 years, since Kindergarten, and we have enjoyed each day. The teachers are caring and challenge the children to excel in all areas. The programs offered compare to no other school. Each child is able to go to gym, art, music, dance, Spanish, and computer class every 6 weeks beginning in Kindergarten. It's an amazing opportunity! As she has entered middle school, I am thankful she was able to stay at TFAA since it is K-8. They have been able to be shielded from many middle school experiences that I don't want her to be involved in like drugs, gangs, pregnancies, language, etc. The students are just a high caliber of kids with good behavior and attitudes. I have been very impressed with the school and from other parents, understand kids from TFAA are more than prepared when they go to high school because of the experience they had here.

Posted May 21, 2010

My son is finishing up his first year at Thurman Francis as a kindergartener and we love it there! I have nothing but good things to say about TFAA. He loved his teachers...really enjoyed the arts classes such as music, art, dancing & computer. There was a Christmas play as well as a Spring musical that he was involved in. He has learned so much this year and I'm very impressed with this school. A great group of kids indeed! I can't wait to see what next year has to offer.

Posted May 29, 2008

Thurman Francis is well-equipped to draw the cream of the crop in Rutherford County. The future of Rutherford County's Northern magnet school depends on attracting high-achievers (like a magnet). The high-caliber school administrators, Dr. Andra Helton and Jeffrey Duke, make an incredibly attractive leadership team. They've grabbed the 'Ram' by the horns to set high standards of excellence for students and families at TFAA. Strengths include: highly-qualified and professional educators, close involvement with parents who place a strong value on education along with an expectation that college is NOT 'optional,' and a wonderful K-8 concept that provides a small family atmosphere which builds confidence and protects middle-school students from being 'thrown to the wolves' before they are mature enough to make good decisions. Weaknesses include: identity confusion, growing pains, not many after-school clubs, a percentage of students in the magnet classes who are not high-achievers, and a need for corporate sponsorship.

Posted January 29, 2008

My child has flourished at TFAA. He has had wonderful teachers every year who continue to work very hard for my child.

Posted May 29, 2007

We have only been at Thurman Francis one year. My daughter just completed Kindergarten and we were very pleased! She has had a great experience and has learned many new skills. She loved her teacher and her class. I was very impressed with the time and attention that was given to be sure she was challenged and was learning what she needed to know to be successful in first grade. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone who wants their child to be challenged and pushed to their potential. If you do not want to be involved or want the easy way out you may want to look elsewhere.

Posted September 20, 2006

I have a 4th grader who has been a Thurman Arts Academy since they added the 1st grade as well as a daughter who is now in High School who attended as well. What I like best is the extra curriculum which broadens their horizons and exposes students to cultural differences thru the music class, dance class and let's not forget the foreign language that starts as early as 1st grade. The teachers are Wonderful to offer subjects that involves the students hands on activities rather than lecture style and they match your child's ability if they need more challenging work they provide it in the classroom there may be 5 or 6 different levels of academic work, so you will never hear your child say they are bored. It is a Wonderful experience for our family.

Posted February 27, 2006

My daughter has attended this school since Kindergarten and is now in the 2nd grade. Each year I can't believe the teacher can possibly be better than the last, but it just keeps getting better! The teachers have gone above and beyond the normal teacher duties to make sure our child is learning and enjoying it. She is always challenged and the word bored never is spoken. The parental involvement is tremendous. The principal has always been accessible and always appears at the functions and special projects the classes do. This is not a school for those who don't want to be involved in their child's education, but if your child wants challenge and a joy in learning it can be found at TFAA.

Posted August 17, 2005

My son has been going to this school since Kindergarten and it has been wonderful. The teachers that he has had so far have been awesome. The school offers the students a real academic challenge. They get to do so many different things than they have in other schools. The principal is always out in the parking lot to talk and help get all of the kids picked up. I like the small school atmosphere where everyone knows and talks to everyone. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted March 22, 2005

My children went to this school. The teacher was extremely negative. She talked down to the chidren,and was degrading. She was always yelling at the students. Everyone knows that the way a teacher treats children reflects in their performance, and behaviour. I would not reccomend this school to anyone.

Posted December 7, 2004

My daughter has been enrolled in Thurman Francis for two years. Upon her enrollment, I was really excited about the special opportunities the school offered. So far, we have not been pleased with the teachers she has been assigned. Maybe the principal should hire more dedicated teachers to enrich the program.

Posted August 11, 2004

This school provides an excellant atmmosphere for learning. My daughter has attended for two years now, and we have been very pleased with her progress. Kudos to the faculty and administration. E.Garnett

Posted July 8, 2004

This school has some great things to offer children. It also has some very negative teachers. My son is a honor student and had a horrible year! Some teachers can really ruin a childs self esteem! I cant say that I'd recommend it to anyone.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 41% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

Writing

All Students94%
White94%

White95%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

English I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 24%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Dance

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

221 Todd La