Smyrna, TN

Posted June 08, 2014
Thurman Francis is a great school. My son completed Kindergarten with Mrs. Melissa Parker this year. She was a Godsend to our family and made my son's first school experience a very positive and memorable one. I can not say enough about how professional, passionate and positive Mrs. Parker and Ms. Allen (her EA) are. Mr. Duke and Mrs. Templeton are wonderful leaders for TFAA. They volunteer in the drop off lines and in the cafe most days. We have a exemplary PTO and parent involvement is top notch, in my opinion. I would recommend any parent have their child test for this outstanding school in our little Smyrna community. Thank you for great memories TFAA!

Posted April 18, 2014
Thurman Francis is a great school and needs more money. We should all help to get this amazing school more money

Thurman Francis Elementary School 2

Posted November 05, 2013
Went in the class room for a party and Lysol wiped the tables off. The wipe was brown. I called the principal and he said the janitors only clean them and mop on breaks. That is 3 times a school year. The perfect little magnet school is absolutely disgusting. He obviously doesn't care if the children are sitting in filth.

Thurman Francis Elementary School 3

Posted October 05, 2013
The Good news: Ms. Fan. I don't think there can be any higher praise for anybody. Good job. The Bad: Bullying not properly under control. Teachers favoritism, although that's not just this school. The principles makes students write contracts for disciplinary violations. Although minors aren't legally bound by them.

Thurman Francis Elementary School 1

Posted September 17, 2013
Not a fan of TFAA. I pulled my kids out because of the snobbiness of both the staff and parents. All they seem to care about is teaching to the test and if your child isn't cookie cutter, they treat them like they aren't worthy of being there. So glad to be out of there, away from the pressure to be perfect...kids need to be allowed to be kids. They don't need prison wardens, they need encouragement to LEARN, not just how to score well on TCAPS. That being said, my children are both highly gifted and love to be challenged...I was an involved parent. I tried to work with the school, but they didn't really seem to care about the kids, only that they made the school look good. Made me sad to see such snobbiness.

Thurman Francis Elementary School 3

Posted December 06, 2012
I have two kids at TFAA. I love that they are challenged, and that they get to learn through the arts. I also love that they get Spanish, even if for only six weeks a year. My younger son's teacher is a bit negative for my taste. I wish she would talk about more of the positive of the class, rather than just the negatives. My older son is in fifth grade and already changes classes, which seems to be challenging for a 10 year old. That being said, his teachers are all wonderful, and have been trying to help him transition in any way they can. I love the parent involvement for field trips, class projects and parties etc, but the PTO is very small. I also think parents can be a bit snobby, constantly talking about how much better TFAA is and how other schools are jealous, etc. It's very expensive. It seems like every week I'm having to send money in for this or that. Of course I may just feel it more than most, since I have two kids at the school. I have lunch with my boys every week and I have to say that the cafeteria attendants are wonderful. They know my boys by name and always tell me stories about what they were doing during lunch. I also love the crossing guards.

Thurman Francis Elementary School 4

Posted July 19, 2012
My daughter has attended TFAA for four years. Her first three years were great and I had no complaints with any of her teachers. Her teacher last year was very demeaning to the children. When confronted about this, she denied everything despite independent confirmation from five other students concerning a specific incident. This aside, the parent involvement at TFAA is great. Field trips usually provide a 1:1 ratio of parent to student.

Thurman Francis Elementary School 2

Posted July 11, 2011
My son went to TFAA for Kindergarten and 1st grade. After Kindergarten, I was pleased with the school. He learned & great deal and had fun doing it, which is important to keep kids interested in school. However, his 1st grade teacher ruined all the good feelings. She encouraged the students to be competitive in their learning, which left a few of the students feeling like they lacked the smartness that others had. My son's self esteem was greatly affected this year because of his teacher's actions and he cried often about how much he wanted to go to a different school. I know he wasn't the only child in his class feeling this way. While he learned a lot this year, the schhol definitely did him more harm than good in the way of his self image. We have enrolled in a school in a different county and I look forward to his self esteem & image sky rocketing this year. We are both very glad for him to be away from the judging ways of TFAA.

Posted November 18, 2010
My oldest has been at TFAA for 8 years, since Kindergarten, and we have enjoyed each day. The teachers are caring and challenge the children to excel in all areas. The programs offered compare to no other school. Each child is able to go to gym, art, music, dance, Spanish, and computer class every 6 weeks beginning in Kindergarten. It's an amazing opportunity! As she has entered middle school, I am thankful she was able to stay at TFAA since it is K-8. They have been able to be shielded from many middle school experiences that I don't want her to be involved in like drugs, gangs, pregnancies, language, etc. The students are just a high caliber of kids with good behavior and attitudes. I have been very impressed with the school and from other parents, understand kids from TFAA are more than prepared when they go to high school because of the experience they had here.

Posted May 21, 2010
My son is finishing up his first year at Thurman Francis as a kindergartener and we love it there! I have nothing but good things to say about TFAA. He loved his teachers...really enjoyed the arts classes such as music, art, dancing & computer. There was a Christmas play as well as a Spring musical that he was involved in. He has learned so much this year and I'm very impressed with this school. A great group of kids indeed! I can't wait to see what next year has to offer.

Thurman Francis Elementary School
221 Todd Lane, Smyrna, TN  37167
Last modified Thurman Francis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thurman Francis Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top