Thompson's Station, TN
Students enrolled: 1,539

Posted June 06, 2014
Independence High School is amazing. I'm currently a "honors student", and take mostly "AP" classes. The teachers are instructive and challenging. The students made me feel at home, and the teachers made my journey, through high-School, even better. The extra classes are,and always be , amazing! They challenge me, but at the same time help me learn new things. I have no problem saying that this school is "AMAZING." The administration are awesome, and always help me with problems. I have never seen any physical attack, nor any bullying. This is the school for you.

Independence High School 2

Posted April 26, 2012
Every time I try to write a bad review of this school, it gets pulled. The school is average at best. Problems are hidden and you cannot get an honest answer from administration. It is a poorly run school and it has been going downhill ever since the current principal arrived.

Independence High School 4

Posted March 27, 2012
We love Independence. No school is perfect. I would rather fault on the side of being too churchy.

Posted June 30, 2011
great school. lots to do and everyone goes to the sporting events, especially football games. the education is very good here and the teachers are great.... INDY NATION

Independence High School 3

Posted June 02, 2011
As a student of four years, I agree with some of the other people who've posted that a lot of favoritism is shown towards the churchy kids, and I'm not afraid to name names. The members of Thompson Station Church (it's Baptist no matter what the try to tell you) has a massive hold over both this school and the community in general. The students that go to the church are very cliquish and rude and they usually all vote for each other for class offices. Out of all the student speakers at our 2011 graduation, all of them attend TSC to my knowledge, except one. Thankfully, our valedictorian was not part of the club and kept her speech free of religion. I'm a Christian myself, but I don't appreciate having another church forced down my throat and I disagree with subjecting non-Christian students to it at school. Guidance is slow and the administration sucks. Otherwise, I enjoyed my time at Independence. The standard classes are a joke, but AP classes are great and honors classes usually are, too. There's a lot of extra-curriculars to get involved in and if a student puts in the work, they can be massively successful here no matter how they feel about their teachers and fellow students.

Independence High School 1

Posted June 01, 2011
Having suffered along with my children wth this school for 4 years . . . I have issues with: Favoritism of sports and religious groups (even having school events at a specific church). It favors the establishment of one religion over another by allowing that religion to bully non-belivers or other religions ON CAMPUS, including physical attacks. Difficult relations wish Student Services/Nurse/Check-In Out and Sick, each child and parent is treated like a criminal Gifted Program is a joke - it caused more problems rather than assisting me or my child with the unique challenges of being gifted. Unless you or your child are a sports person or a southern baptist, you shouldn't attend this school - you, and especially, they will be miserable. School should be about academics. Period.

Posted February 01, 2010
IHS is a great school. We moved here from another state just for the highschool. It was the best decision for schools and area to live in. Love it!

Independence High School 4

Posted December 31, 2009
I could not have been happier at any other high school in the county. Something about the teachers and students and IHS make you want to get involved. I took advanced classes and was very impressed with the quality of teachers. I do not think that the teachers of lower level classes were as good, but that is expected. I often took AP and honors classes in subjects I was not interested just because of the quality of the teachers. IHS was an amazing experience.

Posted December 28, 2009
I have a child who attends this school with an IEP. And I for one have not one complaint.(as of yet) I have found the faculty, staff, and administration very helpful. They communicate with student and parent as often as I would like. (I am a very involved parent and seem to meet with the entire group of administration and faculty involved with my child every marking period always evaluating what can be done to make the four years here successful). Looking at choices of homeschooling, private or Independence, I could highly recommend you to try Independence.

Independence High School 1

Posted October 29, 2009
If your child is a struggling student this is not the school for them. IHS is only interested in educating students that are self motivated and do not need any guidance along the way. If your child is extremely bright and self motivated they will be happy to service you to improve their test scores.

Independence High School
1776 Declaration Way, Thompson's Station, TN  37179
Last modified Independence High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Independence High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top