Bad
Good

Here s an anecdote that speaks to how good Cooper is A friend of mine recently returned to Abilene from Virginia. His bright, straight A student ranked as #71 of 390 or so. He was disappointed because she had been in the top 2% at the previous school! The principal and staff are very concerned about the quality of education each child receives. AP teachers prepare diligently for the annual AP exams - to a fault. I can t understand or explain why the standardized scores are poor. The athletic program has had some hiccups until late, but the most obvious program, football, won district. There are A LOT of clubs and other extracurricular activities for kids to be involved. The booster club is sad, but the programs do well regardless. As far as drugs go, from my kids' reports, Wylie is far worse. So far, my kids have 'just said no'.

I went there and they have the best teachers ever. I loved all of my teachers and wouldn't trade them for the world.

Absolutely the worst school. Drugs are rampant, even to the point of bringing them to school. Security is niland the supervisory staff is totally apathetic. We had to transfer our child to another state so he could go to a college prep school because there is nothing a Cooper for the very bright students. If you are interested in a dumbed down school, it's the one for you

I graduated in 2005 and was very well-prepared for college. Wonderful fine arts programs, an excellent array of PAP and AP courses with superb teachers. Wonderful school spirit and a great mix of backgrounds among the students keeps Cooper an interesting tapestry of diversity. I'm so proud to be a Cougar!

I am a student at this school and I want to let everyone know that we are a great school with teachers that are easy to work with. Our teachers challenge us to do better all the time and seem to hae the patientce of a saint. We cherish our acedenic career while expanding our athletics. There is room for improvement and the school sees that and tries to improve very frequently. Overall I am very satisfied with my education. I do not skip school, nor do I want to, because my teachers engage in teaching in a way that it is fun to learn.

I'm a former Cooper student and I think that Cooper was a great school, I did have some wonderful teachers and that I did graduate prepared for college. I will agree that I wasn't then, nor am I now, pleased with Gregg as a principal. Teachers did teach and the vast majority did it because they loved teaching; if they were 'in it for the paycheck' as you stated, wouldn't they choose another career? I'm currently a junior in college and I've maintained a 3.5 gpa, I don't think that I could have done that if I hadn't been 'prepared for college.' It is also partly your job, as a parent, to 'prepare your children for the rigorous demands...,' that all can't be put on teachers. Finally, as far as test scores go, with 'No Child Left Behind' they have to be concerned. You can blame Bush for that one.

The principal is no leader. The school has no direction...solely 100+ teachers going their own direction. Many teachers do not teach; they are there only to get a paycheck. Students in the district are not prepared to enter college and the rigorous demands it places on students. The school and district are only concerned about money. They do not see education as an serious goal. Bottom line is test scores and $. Teachers who receive recognition are often those who are popular, not ones who work hard, teach and expect the students to produce. Those teachers are the ones who go unnoticed. The priorities of this school and its district are in major need of upheaval and re-evaluation.

Last modified Cooper High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.