Posted March 07, 2012
I have LOVED this school. I have had 2 children attend this school. My oldest from 3rd grade through 5th and my second from Kindergarten through 3rd. I think this is a fantastic school. We do not have any problems with the teachers or the other students. It is unfortunate that they had to d/c their GT program b/c of budget cuts, but they tried to group those kids together and give them full time GT certified teachers. My girls have had wonderful teachers and I would absolutely send them here again. My girls do not have any issues socially or academically so we have not had any problems to address. I believe the school does try to maintain a high degree of order as they do have a large number of military kids going through a lot of transitions in their family lives so perhaps children who are a little more disruptive do not thrive well here. My kids have plenty of friends and we never had any issues with bullying.

Dyess Elementary School 1

Posted February 29, 2012
First and foremost I can not stand this school I despises this school with a passion on a whole new level. My son only attended of his kindergarten year here. His teacher at the time wrote me a letter stating that my child needed to be medicated for ADHD! Hello he was only 5 years old at the time. It was not a letter suggesting he be tested but a letter stating he has ADHD and needs medication for it. She didn t go to college to be a doctor, and does not have a license to practice medicine. So after talking to the teacher and the principle which backed his teachers we pulled him out immediately and transferred him to another school. The teachers that we dealt with just wanted kids that were perfect little angels that sat still and didn t make a peep. They pushed me and a few other parents to have our kids put on meds because they didn t want to deal with normal typical children. And for the recorded we talked with our doctor and she sent him to a child psychiatrist and he dose NOT have ADHD or suffer from bipolar disorder and his GPA is a 3.0!

Posted August 17, 2009
My children have attended Dyess for 2 years. Many of the teachers are very nice but there are a few that are horrible. When we went to discuss our issues with the principal, he betrayed our confidentiality but forwarding what we had discussed to the teacher in question. I was horrified by the lack of professionalism. There's also very little offered to help children who struggle, as my oldest does. I'm hoping this year is an improvement over previous years but, with classes packed to their maximum numbers, I'm not crossing my fingers.

Posted May 09, 2007
My son has been going to Dyess since he was in kindergarden(2005). He is excited to learn and I feel like the teachers have done beautifully supporting his gifted and talented potential. He has aced the school test for GT and his future looks great! Thank you Dyess for caring and placing children first. Heather

Posted February 28, 2007
The first year we were at Dyess was okay, the next year was awful. My daughter was bullied and it was not taken seriously. There were not any extra curricular activities to speak of. Most teachers were very nice, but some just chose to look the other way.

Posted May 05, 2006

Posted April 09, 2006
My son has been going there since he was in kindergarten and is now in the 3rd grade. They have wonderful teachers and we have nothing but a posiitive experience with Dyess.

Posted March 06, 2006
Having most of the population of students from military families, I wasn't sure what that meant for us civilions. WHat a blessing. The faculty and the families that are at Dyess are truly wonderful loving people. Academic standards and expectations are high and reasonable. My children were a little uneasy at first, Kinder and 1st graders, but they love it. It is highly recommended in the education community also. It is also a safe school, the staff won't give it a second thought to stop and ask you who you are. At first someone might be offended, but it is for the safety of the children.

Dyess Elementary School 4

Posted September 07, 2005
Dyess Elementary was an acceptable school, does well in overall test scores. There is a high attendance of military children, so military kids all relate to each other. School, community and American pride run high in this school and it is taught to children as values.

Dyess Elementary School 4

Posted July 27, 2005
- a former student
Loving staff, great school. Parent involvement is essential.

Dyess Elementary School
402 Delaware Road, Abilene, TX  79605
Last modified Dyess Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dyess Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top