No rating

Abilene Christian Schools

Private | PK-12 | 343 students

Living in Abilene

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $113,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $680.

Posted March 15, 2012

My children have been at ACS for five years. My husband and I could not be more excited about our children's growth in EVERY area. No person or place is perfect. HOWEVER, I cannot imagine a safer, more structured, and supportive environment for my children to learn and maximize their potential. I have compared my experiences with my friends with kids at other schools, and I am convinced now more than ever that we made the right choice with ACS. I love the small classes and feel of family. The teachers are wonderful, encourage parental involvement, and teach classes on a "gifted" level. The technology available makes learning fun and is truly astounding. The kids participate in high quality classes like Spanish, Music, Computer, and Art. The teachers are very invested in the growth of the kids and I am always pleasantly surprised with what my children are learning and how. But most importantly, I am so pleased with the Christian aspect of their education. The ACS approach is based on the Bible rather than a denomination. My children have experienced God in a way they could not have in public school. I am so grateful to ACS and look forward to many more years!

Posted March 15, 2012

We were completely blessed to have doors opened January 2011 for our son and daughter to attend Abilene Christian and have been nothing but completely thankful to God for this blessing! Both of my children were immediately accepted and encouraged by both the faculty and the students. We enrolled them in the middle of the year (which as an 8th grader and a Freshman could have been devastating). The first day of school at ACS and both of my children said they loved it and never wanted to go back to public school. A year later and we are just as pleased and thank God everyday for the faculty, parents and students. There is no "perfect" school, but as a mom and a past educator, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this school to anyone wanting a Christian environment and people who really care about your children's education, growth and most importantly their walk with God.

Posted March 7, 2012

My husband and I have had both of our children at this school since Pre-k and kindergarten. We feel they have helped them grow spiritually as well as academically. They have participated and excelled in sports at the state level and achieved honors that only a handful experience. One of the best things about ACS is the family friendly environment- class sizes are small enough that you know the other parents and share similar values. You truly feel like an extended family and love watching each others kids grow, learn and excel. You can tell how much the teachers and administration have the whole child's best interest at heart and love them. Our oldest child now attends college and entered very well prepared, much more than some of his peers from other area schools. ACS test scores are consistently higher than schools in our area. There is no perfect place but we have had no complaints at all and love and appreciate this special place. We highly recommend this school to all who want an exceptional education for their child and a loving, safe, Christian environment to grow and learn in. You can't ask for more than teachers who give of themselves and pray for their students daily.

Posted February 18, 2012

We were a military family living in the area and put our two children in this school for two years. We loved one out of the four teachers we had in that time period. One was okay, and the other two were unloving, un-motivated, teachers. The first year we were there, my oldest daughter was the new kid. She was left out of the 'circle' of friends who had been attending that school for some time, and the teacher did nothing to include her. The kids bullied her at first and it was my daughter who was taken to the office for finally standing up for herself. Her second year there was much better as she found another new girl to befriend. Still, the teacher she had was uninterested and seemed lazy to me. Also, I tried to help out in the classroom and with class parties and when I wanted to do a Jesus theme for Christmas, the school told me I couldn't because Jesus wasn't born in December. Instead the Christmas party was about Santa. Thankfully they allowed me to create a Jesus theme for the Easter party! We have since moved so my kids don't attend this school any longer, but had we stayed in Abilene, I think I would have put them in a local public school instead.

Posted October 11, 2011

Very disappointed in this school. I moved my child here from his daycare for preschool. My child learned more from daycare than from the "curriculum" this preschool offers. We are military and bought into the Abilene hype about this school, and I have to say do NOT waste your resources on this institution. I honestly feel that Abilene's "academically unexpectable" school district would better prepare your child. I had mine in St. James day care and he was able to spell ALL of his colors, write his full name, all of his alphabet, count to 100, and was working on sight words. When we moved him to ACS, he has reviewed one letter per week, and plays in "centers" every day. The centers do no facilitate learning, and they use an iPad to interact with the child rather than the teacher. I was excited about the technology at first, but now feel it is used inappropriately. The teachers are far from what I would expect from a private institution derived from ACU. Very pathetic. I work more with my son to prevent regression than I have ever had to. I would much rather be spending more time on learning new skills, such as phonics and sight words.

Posted July 21, 2011

ACS - Claims to - ensure an atmosphere in which students can grow in wisdom, and in favor with God and man - seeks development of moral excellence, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love. - NOT TRUE by experience I know -THEY SHOW PARTIALITY Ro. 2:11 and - James 2: 9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, 10 - stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. -- THEY place MONEY above the LAWS of GOD - 1 Timothy 6: 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil,- 2 Timothy 3:2-5 For men will be lovers of money, [Teaching] disobedient to parents, 5. having a form of godliness but denying its power - TEACH Children to DISHONER PARENTS Ro. 1: 30-32 HATERS of God, inventors of evil things [Teaching] disobedient to parents -THEY IGNORE - Ep. 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 "HONOR your father and mother, - Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord.- THEY Willfully break God s Laws and Teach children so. - Matthew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and TEACHES men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven

Posted July 11, 2011

Wonderful school! I have had three children at ACS and have been thrilled with the teachers on both the elementary and secondary side. I have really been pleased with the secondary teachers and the college prep aspect of ACHS. My children have scored well above average on their ACT exams and I'm very pleased with the well-rounded Christian education they have received at ACS.

Posted July 7, 2011

This school does NOT practice what they preach. Safety is not a priority. Curriculum is NOT what they say, and has gaping holes. This is horrifying. I'm having to hire tutors to bring both children up to LEVEL. The "well rounded curriculum" is utterly lacking and not rounded at all. The public school offers better student safety and curriculum. Overall this school is flashy and massively disappointing. *I would not recommend anyone send their child to this institution.*

Posted May 7, 2007

Overall a good school. Low pay and benefits cause hiring problems affecting the school's ability to hire and retain quality teachers and leadership. Example given 3 superintendents within the last ten years. Always with the same apparently ineffective interim superintendent for sometimes months long periods. Also noteworthy is no required parent involvement or class monitoring. A point of concern for parents who voluntarily (as they should) participate and monitor. On a positive note, a deeply religious Christ centered school with Bible from the ground up. In an old established quality neighborhood in a medium sized city which has been highly rated for it's child raising environment. With good leadership would come improved accounting and fund management which would greatly improve the ability to recruit a higher quality staff that would match the student body. But, we've been hoping for that since pre-k and that was years ago.

Posted April 27, 2006

Great teachers, small class sizes!
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 8, 2005

Parent involvement strongly encouraged and welcomed. Academics include biblical applications. Great opportunities for music, art, sports, and other activities. Only wish there was an after-school program for middle school.

Posted February 28, 2004

I am a grandparent that has paid for 6 grandchildren to go to this school over the past 15 years, and I can highly recommend every phase of its leadership and impact it has on kids. The school is excellent as a college-prep institution, and the moral emphasis and impact on the young people is a bit of fresh air in this society. The teachers are great, and children from all religious groups are welcome and dealt with in an appropriate fashion. No drugs, bellies showing or foul language allowed here--only tough discipline in the four 'R's' including religious studies. Sincerely, C. Bruce Davis, Ph.D

Posted September 16, 2003

I have two grandsons who attend ACHS (Abilene Christian High School)and they are receiving a quality education. ACHS is designed to ready students for college and the curriculum is somewhat advanced. There is a wonderful Christian atmosphere in the school and prayer is included in the chapel services and in the classroom. Bible is taught along with the other studies. We are thankful our grandsons are enrolled in this very good private school!

Asian or Pacific Islander N/A 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
Associations
  • NCSA
Fax number
  • (325) 672-1262

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious