Bad
Good

Cambridge Elementary School 4

Posted March 01, 2015
We transitioned to Alamo heights public schools from private school and I was very nervous about how my 5th grader would do but it has been the best experience of his life. His teacher has been there many years and you can tell she truly cares about the kids and making learning fun. They have technology available at their fingertips and they learn using computers, iPads, smart boards, etc which keeps the kids interested. the principal does a great job keeping parents informed with weekly emails. Overall excellent experience.

Posted September 26, 2014
Cambridge is an amazing school. IT has a small town feel and teachers are constantly striving to engage students and creating live long relationships. Children are happy and the faculty carries a smile in their face

Cambridge Elementary School 4

Posted April 23, 2014
I attended Cambridge from 2006-2010 and I had a fairly good education. Although I was bullied throughout my education was excellent- except 4th grade. I had good teachers and Ms. Reese was probably the best I had and Mrs. Alexander who has since retired. I was well prepared for middle school, and I loved my experience at Cambridge minus the bullying problems.

Posted November 14, 2013
This school has taken my daughter to an all new level of academic accomplishments and self awareness. She has a high self esteem and loves school. I have to give the credit to her first grade teacher, Mrs. Harney. Mrs. Harney is my daughters other "mom", and my daughter professes her love daily for her teacher. This is a great school with great teachers!

Posted September 18, 2012
My children are in 1st and 3rd grade and are doing very well in their studies. I do agree that there are some teachers who are pushing green agendas, but I think that is a direct influence by the Department of Education, and a travesty for public schools in general. That said, the class sizes are relatively small, parents are actively engaged and to paraphrase the superintendent - teachers are encouraged to teach according to their lesson plans rather than teach to pass a test. While AHISD gets a bad rap for being elitist, I think the atmosphere is fairly balanced and the children especially integrate well regardless of their economic backgrounds, cultural differences and ethnicities. It really is sad that this distinction has to be made, but since other posts alluded to it, I wanted to make sure I addressed it and confirmed that Cambridge is a school designed to ensure all children thrive in their academic careers. There are an abundance of enrichment courses and physical education courses available, it is worth the extra property taxes we pay to ensure our children receive the best education possible.

Posted September 30, 2010
Cambridge is an excellent elementary school and worth every penny we pay in Alamo Heights property taxes. Our son is in the Spanish Immersion program and Strings. His teachers have high academic standards and consistently teach with enthusiasm and creativity. While AH may be perceived as elitist, our son has a diverse group of friends both in and outside of Spanish Immersion. Parents are highly involved and Cambridge administration is focused on preparing children for academic excellence.

Posted March 20, 2010
Change is a part of life, when I had a concern regarding my child the principal he set aside time (from I am sure a very busy schedule) to let me discuss the situation. A plan of accountability was established and he asked me to follow up with him. I felt his genuine concern not only for my child but all the children at Cambridge. This is my 3rd child at Cambridge, first time in Spanish Immersion, her teacher is great! They encouraged more participation, by urging her to test for G/T, entering in the Technology Showcase, not just to be satisfied for just showing up at school. The music program is great ,as a parent who son started in Strings and is now in HS Band. The HS Band fosters a family atmosphere which I know the Band/music directors from elementary to Jr High to High School strive for.

Posted October 30, 2009
I'm frustrated with the revolving door of principals. The campus is definitely not what it used to be. Too many traditional teachers, or too many green teachers. The spanish immersion program is too elitist. Also too many discipline problems.

Posted June 16, 2009
Cambridge is an amazing school. Our son came here for 3rd grade from an ISAS private school and this school is light-years ahead than anything his old school had. Wonderful, caring teachers. Outstanding fine art department - the annual family art night is an amazing event & the afterschool music program is just fabulous. The librarians worked up a summer reading list for our son tailored to his interest & needs. The dyslexia program is 5++ stars - Mrs. Dolan you are a treasure! There is limited teaching to TAKS needed because the students know the work already. Students are happy at this school and it shows.

Posted November 22, 2008
Cambridge has seen an enrollment increase due in part to its emphasis on enrichment opportunities including a four year Spanish immersion program, strong after school opportunities including gymnastics, cooking, chess, pottery etc, and an emphasis on technology integration. Over half the teaching staff have a Masters degree and the partnership between parents, administration, teachers and students is terrific. It has a small town feel in an urban setting. The new principal is doing a great job of bringing in the best talent and maintaining excellence as many veteran teachers approach retirement.

1001 Townsend Avenue, Alamo Heights, TX  78209
Last modified Cambridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.