Posted October 28, 2012
We love Reed. My son loves going to school and that says so much. The staff is loving, caring, and encouraging and that means alot to me as a mom. I know my son is being taken care of when I am not there. The school offers alot to help the community and teach the students to help others. The principal and vice principal is tremendous. They take the time to learn kids names and parents. Communication between the staff and parents is great too. Parents are encouraged to be apart of the kids learning and fun. We had our first field trip last week and so many parents volunteered to come - even dads (way to go dads). I have nothing but praise for this school.

Gene M Reed Elementary School 1

Posted March 05, 2012
We had a terrible experience at this school. My daughter was treated differently and unfairly. She was blatently targeted to a point that the school board allowed us to move. I feel that if you are new or not from this area, then you are not welcome. This is not a school for newcomers to Allen or anyone who does not "look like" the average person there.

Posted February 24, 2010
Two of our grandchildren attend Reed Elementary. Our oldest grandchild attended Reed and is now in middle school. I was a public school teacher in the Austin area for thirty years, but I never had the privilege of teaching in a school as warm, as academically involved as the teachers and staff at Reed Elementary. What a fantastic school!

Posted May 08, 2009
By far the best school my children have attended. The teachers are dedicated to the success of the kids and they are open to parent feedback and suggestions. I could not ask for a better school

Posted March 22, 2009
We love Reed! My husband went there K-6th 20ish years ago, my brother recently finished K-6th there, and now our only child attends. The staff are supportive, listen when we have concerns, and truly care about making each student's school experience the best it can be. It is true that many of the parents are not involved directly in school activities, but so many of them work long hours. Others are very involved; I realized that I can make a difference by joining the PTA and signing up to help with activities. I've made friends and gotten to know the school staff. I work a full-time job, so I don't have tons of free time. If I can do it, so can anyone! I do completely agree that parental involvement is the key to making Reed absolutely excellent.

Posted October 30, 2008
I can not comment on the higher level grades, because my son is in the first grade, with that being said, all of his kinder and 1st grade teachers are outstanding! The pay close attention to the childeren in there class as well as others.

Posted March 11, 2007
I have had 2 children attend this school and I think most of the teachers are great. The Principle team has made big changes in the past 2 years and I feel it will only get better. It does lack in parent involvement, but the ones who do get involved are very dedicated.

Posted January 22, 2007
We love Reed! My son has never been happier. He has the most wonderful teacher and the school is excellent. They really push the kids to strive for success, but they do it through self-confidence building. They are never negative and always supportive.

Posted May 24, 2006
I can tell anyone interested in the special education program in this school that it is fantastic. People that truly care about the kids and want to do everything possible to help them be sucsessful and feel that way. They will actually help advocate for your child at times. They keep you in the loop... when they know, you know. Feel very blessed to have landed our child there.

Posted February 23, 2006
Like most schools I've known there are many great teachers but this year we have one who seems to have chosen our child to make an example of, so we are not happy about her now. Parents seem to be less involved for some reason at Reed than at other local schools. When we were in scouts the parental interest was small and willingness to be a leader even more rare. It is a tragedy that the ed system cannot provide more arts and sports due to the overwhelming emphasis put on the Taks tests. I seem to have learned the same items in my grade school as my kids and we had 5 hours of PE and 5 hours total of art/music each week and track meets with other schools in town. What's up?

Gene M Reed Elementary School
1200 Rivercrest Boulevard, Allen, TX  75002
Last modified Gene M Reed Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gene M Reed Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top