Allen, TX

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted August 26, 2015
The have these attitudes that show they don't want to teach just yell and blow their whistles

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 26, 2015
My kids have yet to bring homework home and it's ending the first week of school

Kerr Elementary School 1

Posted August 26, 2015
This school uses military force with these children it's disgusting and sad. My kids first day of school was standing in lines all day with a whistle being blown at them. They tell the children to be quiet yet the teachers yell more then the children do. PE they don't even do anything. My kids come home telling me that they either are just allowed to talk or not talk at all and run during PE time. I'm very disappointed. At my children's last school PE was very important. They had so many fun activities planned. Out of the 20 teachers I've met I would say 1 seemed to love there job. The other 19 have this nasty attitude, they blow there whistle and tell children line up now and say stop talking. I've moved from out of state and I'm not loving this high rated school. If you want to be a teacher then please teach. Don't act like your an army sergeant. It's been 1 week and all I've heard is negative things how much yelling teachers do, yet they are telling the kids not to yell or talk. My children are A+ award acheiving students. They come home and tell me everything. If things don't change I will be forced to homeschool. What happened to the common all American school? Teaching to teach because that's what you love. What happened to dropping your child off at school so they can play or eat breakfast, not be forced in a line where they can't talk nor stand. The bell rings at 7:55 they tell you. Yet I drop my kids off at 7:45 and they are yelling at my kids no you stand off by yourself with this group of kids not with your class.........because why!???? The bell rings at 7:55. Why are my children being forced to sit out and be humiliated. Whistle being blown at them and to not talk your late. Sorry I didn't know 7:45 was late??? This is not the school for us.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 26, 2015
This school treats children like a military class. They make children stand in lines all day and yell at them if not yelling then blowing the whistle

Kerr Elementary School 1

Posted March 14, 2015
This school uses a very thumbs down approach to controlling children's behavior. When my Kindergarten child was sent to the Principal's office for not listening, they created a new behavior chart to be followed. Then when my child had a PERFECT day under their new system, her teacher didn't give her the reward (a brag walk to the Principal's office). We emailed the next day and the Principal said she would be happy to see her. But then when my child was sent for the brag walk, only the Asst. Principal was available. FAIL! This Principal is terrible! The communication with the teacher was also terrible. She redid my child's behavior chart so much in the last few weeks my child was at Kerr that I didn't even understand the expectations (so how was a 5 year old suppose to get it?) The best thing I did for my child was transfer out of Kerr. As my child would say "it is a hateful place with hateful people". My only regret was trusting that the school wanted to help get my child on track, and not making the transfer sooner. My child is now happy to go to school again and guess what, no Kerr = no behavior issues!

Posted August 27, 2014
This school is really fun..... Whenever I went to middle school a couple of years ago,I felt like I wanted to run away from middle school, and just go back into Kerr elementary! that is how much fun/memories are there !!! I cried because I wanted to go back to that place Kerr ! I always did feel that urge to go back..to the really fun place Kerr elementary... The teachers are really nice and take care of you very well.. This school gives you a very nice environment to work... Let me tell you their #1 priority is keeping children safe....... Please go to this school.....

Posted March 12, 2014
This school is great. My kid has been here in the past 5 years from kindergarden to 5th grade. It makes me feel great every morning to say goodbye to her and watch her going to Kerr happily.

Posted January 23, 2013
I now have a Kindergartner and a 3rd grader at this school - the few times we have had concerns regarding our 3rd graders progress, the teachers were very quick to provide assistance and help us enhance her progress. If you read through the reviews - most of the reviews focus on lack of parental involvement. I think it's important to understand the differences in "parental involvement". First and foremost, there are several moms up at the school 20+ hours a week - volunteering in PTA, room mom, etc... I work full time, but do manage to be a room mom and have lunch with my kids at least 2 times a month on stage (cafeteria). Then, there are the moms that feel they are more educated than the teachers and they know best in how to teach children. These are where the negative comments are coming from. Parents need to put their children in a school that will teach their children, then, for any gaps in education, it is the parents responsibility to enhance academic learning at home. In short, the school administration will not let you sit in your child's class and interrupt with your way of teaching. If you are looking for that - this school is not for you.

Posted December 19, 2012
I am a retiring school teacher from another district whose daughter teaches at Kerr Elementary. Not all schools are wonderful to their teachers, but Kerr sounds like the kind of school I would love to have taught in myself--supportive parents, supportive administration, kind students, supportive co-workers. To the few bad-apple parents who think the school ought to be focused on you and willing to work with you and willing to help your child and willing to blah blah blah--you are clueless. I know you. I've had your children through the last thirty-two years. They are just like you--spoiled, selfish, lazy, and think that the world revolves around them. Grow up. Thank you, Kerr Elementary, for treating my daughter so well and making me even more proud of education in north Texas, some of the best schools in the nation!

Kerr Elementary School 2

Posted November 05, 2012
So far this year there have been three BASIC science issues that have come to my attention. No luck discussing it with the teachers because they do not know what they don't know. My children like the teachers because they are "nice". Nice does not equal competence.

1325 Glendover Drive, Allen, TX  75013
Last modified Kerr Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kerr Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top