Nolan Ryan J High School 3

Posted September 16, 2014
Poor communication-Administration and staff ignore emails and calls. Students are encouraged to buy the school t-shirt and PE uniforms but the school runs out of uniforms and then require a gray t-shirt but it can't be the gray school t-shirt! Lockers are available but not assigned to students. Afterschool the halls are filled with rowdy kids With little or no supervision. Lots of rules and regulations but very little leadership, organization or consistency. Classes aren't challenging. This school is a huge disappointment and the administration either ignore or dismiss complaints so nothing changes-

Posted March 27, 2013
We got an apartment close by just so my son could go to school there. He loves school now which was not the case in elementary. The principal and the 2 assistent principals are always smiling and around where the kids see them so that they do whats right. He loves his teachers. His sweet science teacher calls with good phone calls and notes a lot and his math teacher sends a news email informing us of what is upcoming. The school has a good feel to it. My son is real involved and interested in learning and he doesn't come home with loads of worksheets like before. His teachers are always available for extra help and helped me get through the 1st kid going to junior high transition smoothly. He loves it there and is very happy which makes us happy. It's a happy feeling school and the teachers and office staff all care for there students. He wants to be a rapping science teacher now and I know that is because he thinks school is fun and it should be fun. LOL! We made the right choice in sending him to Nolan Ryan and are looking forward to the same success in our other 2 children going there. I like the way they run things and the order they seem to have.

Posted February 02, 2013
Nolan Ryan Junior High is a great school. with awesome teachers, and caring administrators. Nolan Ryan is exemplary in both academics and athletics. My kids love going to school here and enjoy learning.

Posted January 27, 2013
Nolan Ryan junior high is a great place to learn. The classes are challenging and the teachers really try to engage students in the learning process. The fine arts department is fantastic and the academic teachers are highly qualified. There are also lots of successes in sports. High expectations for class work as well as behavior is present. I recommend sending your child there.

Posted January 26, 2013
Nolan Ryan is awesome! The students excel in academics, athletics, and fine arts. Teachers put in long hours. Bullying is no greater and much less than most jr. High schools. Each time a bullying incident has been presented to the staff, it has always been addressed. The school can't address what they don't know. I advise parents to check out the school for yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Posted November 03, 2012
Some of the teachers are not clear and concise with instructions. Students are failing every which way because of unspecific instructions and incompetent teachers. Teachers expect students to just understand what they want their students to do without giving examples or showing the proper process of getting the correct answer. Some teachers (not all) expect too many things from developing minds. Instead of constructive, it is bashing and hateful. My child is not passing PE because she did not hit two volleyballs over the net! How can you expect an inexperienced child to hit 10/10 volleyballs over the net each time?! Also the PE teachers expects the children to run 11 minutes!!! Not all children have this type of stamina!!!

Posted July 31, 2012
This school has a terrible issue with bullying. I had to take my child out of here to protect him. I'm not going to say the staff doesn't try, but they still aren't doing enough to solve the problem.

Posted March 18, 2012
My husband and I are currently considering either selling our house and moving or putting our son into private school. We witnessed students talking, sleeping, playing, listening to IPods during class, teachers give nothing less than a 70- even if it isnt earned, many teachers have little control of the classes and my son hasn't passed TAKS and the STARR test has no consequence as kids are "passed along" regardless if they are able to perform at the standard level. I am VErY disappointed in this school. My son prev attended HISD and was a honor student, he is now failing many classes. The teachers are very unprofessional and come dressed in yoga pants, flip flops and T-shirts.. and it carries over into their teaching ability as well.

Posted September 21, 2011
Nolan Ryan is great i love all the teachers there and they have fixed the bullying problem by hiring a mean assistant principle it is a great school!

Posted May 03, 2011
I agree with previous poster. Bullying is rampant and it is tolerated and never addressed. I am sending my children to private school after this horrible experience. Trashy behavior is the norm and I highly regret exposing my kids to this. I chose one star because you have to choose one- otherwise I give it zero stars.

Nolan Ryan J High School
301 East House Street, Alvin, TX  77511
Last modified Nolan Ryan J High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nolan Ryan J High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top