Alvin, TX

Posted July 29, 2014
Again, I am not a teacher at Wilder, I'm a parent who is also a classroom teacher. In my experience, many parents expect miracles from teachers and administrators; by the way, we expect the same thing of ourselves. I, in no way, intend to make this a negative exchange; so I would really encourage you to take the time now to speak with the administration at the school before classes begins. Please advocate for your child, teachers and administrators appreciate that. Ask specific questions and speak to specific examples so that they can be addressed with their staff. I advocate for my kids and it works.

Posted July 28, 2014
Usually people pay higher taxes thinking that school will have best teachers and administrators. However, unfortunately, there are not too many good teachers at this school. The Principal and teachers should be realize that this community expects a lot from this school. Only the the best administrators and teachers should be left to work here and rest should fire themsleves or take proper trainings to improve themselves. Also, it seems that every time a negative review is posted by a parent, some school staff writes a positive review about this school. Again as I said earlier, parents expects a lot from this school which is the only good thing so far. Hopefully this next year, we parents can work together and write to the new superintendent (who is yet to be hired) about bad/lazy teachers and administrators.

Posted May 16, 2014
My children currently attend L.E. Wilder and each year the school continue to get worse. The school is over crowed with over 900, the 3rd grades are portables so when it rains they have to do their classwork in the hallways. The teachers do not have the proper training on how to deal with large classes, so when a child acts the whole class is punish. The City of Pearland continues to allow apartments to be built around Shadow Creek so the regardless of having news school being built it will continue to be over crowed. The residence of Shadow Creek and the surrounding sub-divisions pay over $8000 in taxes for bad teachers and over crowed schools. Principal Flowers was elected principal of the year by Alvin ISD shows the favoritism that is played in the district. I would say 70% of the people who has a child at Wilder is wondering how that even happen since a lot of parents including myself have complain about various incidents at the school. We believe that she was picked because of the current rezoning in Shadow Creek. If you are not in good graces with the Principal your child will be retaliate on. They will not get pick or recognize for anything they do. Horrible School.

Posted May 12, 2014
The communication at this school is terrible. The front office staff is terribly rude & inconsiderate. The PTO is nothing but a big clique & if you're not in it, don't bother attempting to join. For the amount of taxes that are paid here, there are a TON of fundraisers & every fun extra activity will cost you. The principal (the third one since the school has been opened, mind you) seems to know your children better than you do. Don't waste your time trying to have a conference with her to discuss your concerns, she will disagree. As for the teachers, all have at least 5yrs or less of experience & are CONSTANTLY away for training.

Posted April 13, 2014
As a former student of Wilder I can say that many reviews are far from the truth. The staff is excellent. They know how to motivate students and strive to get us to perform at our best. From what I can remember, communication was superb. We always received letters from staff to bring to our parents. The academics blew the other schools away. At UIL, a state academic competition program, the kids at Wilder annihilated the competition, even winning over "the school next door" and my other former school, Marek. The only issue that comes to mind is overcrowding and traffic. Back in '11, we had about 1000 kids. There were maybe a dozen "T" buildings, and an overwhelming majority of us were car riders. Every one lived very close to the school, so the district was not obligated to provide bus transportation. The car rider line may very well have stretched for a mile. However, with the new Glen(n?) York Elementary and another one opening up this year, the traffic and overcrowding issues should be ameliorated.

Posted February 11, 2014
This school is horrible! The principal is horrible. The teachers are lazy. This school has very poor communication. I would not recommend this school. Parent

Posted January 29, 2014
This school has horrible communication. Emailed the principal repeatedly about my child being bullied and only got one email in return on the subject. A "we'll investigate" response that I am now beginning to think was just to shut me up. Even when I would see the principal in person, she never mentioned what actions she has taken, or planned on taking. But had no problem reminding me it's fundraiser night at Longhorn Steakhouse. Bullying is a major issue in schools and whether my child be the bully, or the one being bullied, I expect adequate action to stop it. There was none taken. Fundraisers. If you plan on enrolling your child into Wilder, also plan on signing over your paychecks. Money matters most here. And nothing else. Oh wait, test scores do. But that's so they can get more money. I have lost such faith in this school, we have already checked our children out and began homeschooling. I am now starting from scratch.

Posted March 21, 2013
I also had high hopes for the school because of the amount of taxes we pay to live here. This is our second year. The first year was good, but 1st grade has been anything but good. Teachers do not seem to care about the students here. The work ethic of the teachers if horrible. My kid always has at least one teacher absent once a week. The classwork seems to not even be challenging for my kid and parent involvement is very low if you are not in the class where all the PTO kids are. The new principal is nice, but she has a big job to do here in order to turn this school around.

Posted February 01, 2013
I find it interesting to read some of the negative reviews Wilder has received. Many of them seem to be based on the traffic situation or 1 experience with a teacher. I get the feeling that those parents simply got mad and used this website to vent. I am a parent of a student at Wilder and I am THRILLED that the CITY finally changed the traffic situation to make it safer for the students. The request came from parents and was supported by the city, so why is the school getting the blame? How would you expect a school to safely release over 800 kids at dismissal when most of them are picked up in a car. It is going to take time, especially when many parents don't play by the rules or follow the procedures set. Student safety is obviously their main concern, so I encourage other parents to take those complaints with a grain of salt. They are not seeing the big picture. Student safety should NEVER be sacrificed to save a parent a few minutes. In addition, I think that the teachers at Wilder care about their students and put their education first. The curriculum and teaching is challenging, engaging, and effective- just as it should be! They have the test scores to prove it!

Posted January 31, 2013
High hopes turn to disappointment. Most of my daily frustrations are a direct result of this school. In order to avoid the long lines at drop-off and keep them from being tardy we have to leave the house by 7:30 (we live 1.5 miles away). You can easily spend 30 minutes after school in the pick up line. Traffic near start/stop of school is horrible and dangerous. But worst of all I find their tone with parents to be inappropriate. I recently received a letter from the school threatening me with legal action and fines and a summons to meet with the vice principal. My children had missed 6 days in 5 months. At least 30 other parents were summoned to the meeting, and what I took away from it was 1) the office/teaches/staff don't know what they are doing or who does what 2) they are more concerned with making sure they get their funding than the are with teaching, and 3) they think they know what is better for my child than I do as their parent. They would rather children miss school to attend a funeral or be in the hospital (excused) than making memories with living people (unexcused) they may never see again. I find their policy unsupportive of families. We won't be returning.

Laura Ingalls Wilder
301 East House Street, Alvin, TX  77511
Last modified Laura Ingalls Wilder is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laura Ingalls Wilder Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top