Amarillo, TX

Posted December 22, 2013
Wonderful school, the teachers love my children, and my children love their teachers! Texas has dropped a lot of things I think are important in school, but that is not the primary schools decision. The teachers we have had are very passionate about their jobs.

Olsen Park Elementary School 3

Posted February 14, 2013
This school does not grade children like a traditional public school. They provide report cards where the teacher rates the child on a scale from 1 (doesn't meet) to 4 (almost always exceeds) on where they think they are as compared to where they should be at that point in the year. My children have had some just okay teachers and also some amazing teachers at this school. I do not like the pass/fail system that the school uses. This is the only school in the district to use this system at this time. I had a teacher tell me that none of the other schools have "jumped on board with this program" and from the conversation it sounded as though she disagreed with the program as well. There is nothing spectacular about this school from my experience but at the same time there are worse schools in the district.

Posted April 16, 2012
This is a school that is filled with caring educators. My daughter has ADHD and every teacher has been beyond patient with her. The school within a school program teaches real learning not just for the test. She is always questioning things and talking to others about her questions.

Posted January 14, 2011
We have three children and all have or are still attending Olsen. It is a small school with family value and a focus on TRUE learning. The school within a school program is the first of its kind within AISD thanks to all the long hours and hard work from the Principal and his staff who volunteered. That kind of dedication is hard to find in this self serving world we live in. Thank you Olsen for your dedication to the students, our children, our future. P.S. Keep prayer at the PTA meetings!

Posted October 12, 2010
My son has learned a great deal in kindergarten at Olsen during the first six week of school. My wife and I met with my son s teacher yesterday so she could talk with us about the work my son has done. His teacher explained what he has learned so far and showed us some of his work that she has kept to illustrate his learning. We were given a paper to fill out so the school could test my son for the gifted and talented program. My son is participating in the School within a School program and it has been great. No religion or Christian theology has been forced on my son in anyway. This is his second year at Olsen because he attended pre-k there last year. All of the time he has spent at Olsen has been great.

Olsen Park Elementary School 0

Posted October 18, 2009
Olsen Park is a great school. I have three children attending the school within a school at Olsen Park and it has been a wonderful experience so far. The principal and staff are all so wonderful and really care about your childs learning and safety. We are a Christian family, but with that being said there has been no kind of any religion pushed on my children. I love this school and praise the teachers for their hard work.

Olsen Park Elementary School 2

Posted October 26, 2008

Olsen Park Elementary School 4

Posted October 19, 2007

Posted August 28, 2007
Yes, it's crazy and offensive there's a prayer before PTA meetings. And yes there are some looney religiosity around here. But the teachers are golden at Olsen Park, and each of our kids has had a wonderful education there. We haven't had any teacher trying to push a religious or Christian doctrine in class. If that happened, I'd be the first to complain. Now the GT program is nearly non-existent, and don't even ask about it. The inspiring teachers are getting shut down so they can teach to the test, but for the most part the school has a hard working staff who care about their kids. It's a neighborhood school so parent and family involvement is top notch. There are really some amazing teachers at Olsen Park. The principal needs some help. Dump the PTA prayers!

Olsen Park Elementary School 2

Posted July 22, 2005
My son attended Olsen Park Elementary School for half of 2nd grade. We removed him from the school when it came to my attention that during the GATE pull out time that he was being taught Christion docterine. I was met with deaf ears from the admin. when I complained. We were treated as trouble makers as the vast majority of Amarillo is Christian.

Olsen Park Elementary School
2409 Anna Street, Amarillo, TX  79106
Last modified Olsen Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Olsen Park Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top