Amarillo, TX

Posted August 22, 2015
With the introduction of the new principle, Mr Chevy, the school has gone downhill fast. When a student who had a child requested, and had previously been approved for, a 2 hour class day to go home to her baby, he told her that she would have to be a full time student until 5 weeks so he could get the money for the school with her as a full time student. The staff is horrible. The only things this school cares about is money and looking good on paper.

Posted February 01, 2015
I graduated from River Road ISD & was involved with many extra-curricular activities. I had several friends, although I wasn t classified as popular. I enjoyed my classes & several teachers went the extra mile helping when we didn t understand. I wanted my children to have the same experience with caring teachers & admin, hence why we moved back to RRISD. My son went from an A-B student to a D-F student. I m highly disappointed with the service (or lack therefore) for my child. I'm a very involved parent & was told to back off- let the school handle it . We were hopeful, when we enrolled him, due to small classes & the small town feel; promised an individualized curriculum & caring environment. Our son has special needs & we feel defeated where education is involved, instead of well informed. Meeting after meeting has been rescheduled, most teachers don t have tutorials, & papers can t be corrected. Teachers have favorites & the other students tend to be ignored. This is not a district that wants every child to be successful; this is a district that mainly cares about looking good on paper. Bottom line, the quality of this school has deteriorated since I attended.

Posted August 08, 2014
Worst school I have ever been to and I have been to lots of schools...The teachers rarely teach and when they do they do it very poorly! Do not send your kids to this school worsr school ever!!!!

River Road High School 5

Posted October 04, 2012
River Road High School and River Road ISD is the best in the Area. The teacher and administrators care deeply about every student and work very hard to ensure they receive the best education possible. It is east to cast stones when you have parents who expect the schools to raise their children but despite what the teachers, principals and staff have to deal with, they do a fantastic job. I would not have my kids in any other district. We have been very pleased with our childrens education and will recommend River Road to anyone looking for a quality education for their kids. Thank you River Road!

Posted April 10, 2011
I am a River Road alumni and that school is literally the worst in the area. Most of the teachers are coaches who don't care about any kids unless their on their sports team. And if you want to be in any other extra cirricular activities, they expect you to pay for every little thing because all the schools money goes to their sports teams. The people in the area are either rich farm kids or kids living below the poverty line. The teachers choose favorites and will easily ignore students that are not excelling in National Honor Society, which by the way, they are so desperate for members they let anyone in. Also, the school allows racism to happen. Because a lot of kids are white in the region, they don't care if the kids yell racial slurs or even taunt others kids about their races. Another thing, their academic programs are so bad that students in River Road's National Honor Society don't qualify for Amarillo High School or really any other honor society because the programs are so ill constructed. Any student graduating from this high school is being cheated a real education. Please, if you love your child, do not send them to this school.

Posted October 05, 2009
It is the best high school in north Amarillo, & it has the best students in town

River Road High School 2

Posted January 10, 2009
We have new school that is already falling apart after only two years. The superintendent is clueless and the school just want to spend money to be like the jones. They were going to demo the old school building but all of a sudden see possible new student due to a small housing start in the area, so now 3/4 of it will used as a two grade middle. The teaching staff are more concerned about a paycheck then educating students. Indepth teachng is done is done before and after school for student wish come early 30 minutes or staying late. There are not enough teachers in each subject or room for it either. A third of the teaching staff are coaches teaching other subject. Sports play a major roll in the district allowing others to fall into a stepchild status ( music, arts, etc.).

River Road High School 2

Posted December 27, 2008
I graduated from River Road not that long ago. I recently went to the UIL Marching Contest at Dick Bivins. I almost cried. I give a huge hand to the kids that had the courage to be on that field against so many big bands. It is dissheartening to see the enrollement drop from when I was in band under Mr. Hutson, by the way was 83 to 12. It must be frustrating for the new director, which my daughter had the honor to play for before our move. What is going on at this school? Programs like band and choir are so important to the development in our children. No wonder people are moving away at such a fast rate.

Posted December 18, 2008
As a river road alumni, I just have to say that River Road is one of the best small country high schools out there. The teachers know you and if you give them the time of day and don't act foolish or violent everything is fine. One thing that is a real downer is the student body. They would first insult their own school then others, granted insulting your palce of learning is pretty immature it's worse when you do it to your own school. It isn't hard to make good grades and pass course, if you try. 9 times out of 10 the students you here flaming their own school are the students who are un-involved because they are just to cool for school. But if you talk to any student who is actively involved with an organization or sport you will find a whole different attitude.

Posted March 23, 2008
First they were going to tear up the old high school and build a new HS with the bond money . Hah!!! We were lied to from the get go, now they are going to put the Jr. high kids in the old part with the asbestos. I don't have any respect for the ones that decided to do this, Notice the superintendent is still in the new part. For this reason I give the school and all who run it a big fat 0 I am just glad the people in bushland were smart enought to vote down the second bond. Way to go Bushland!!!

101 West Mobley Street, Amarillo, TX  79108
Last modified River Road High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
River Road High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top