Amarillo Montessori Academy

Private | PK-3

Living in Amarillo

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $86,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2012

My three children attended the Amarillo Montessori Academy and I served on the board of directors. My children played outside every day unless it was freezing or wet on the playground. They also had indoor recess with gross motor activites in their very large classrooms. Three of the six classrooms are larger than 1,000 square feet each. From toddler classes through preschool, my children were never in a class with maximum ratios. The very low ratios were what attracted us to the school. My family was treated with love and respect and my children even wanted to invite their teachers to their birthday parties. We loved the individual attention that each child got and we were so pleased that all three children were respected for the gifts that they brought to the classroom. I am sorry that the Amarillo Montessori Academy is sometimes confused with other Montessori schools in town because I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for education, respect and affection for their child!

Posted January 30, 2011

Both of my children attend Amarillo Montessori Academy. My daughter is four, she is reading, writing, making patterns, adding, and loves seeing Ms. Ince and Penny the Prairie Dog every day. My son is two and loves Mrs. Ray. They are finishing up a unit on penguins, learning letters, phonics, and numbers. She is working so patiently with his potty training. I get a write up of what he worked with during the day and how his day went. I couldn't be happier with the choice in a school.

Posted April 11, 2010

If you have a child who is totally compliant and can entertain him or herself in a 2x2 square this is the school for you. My son was significantly happier at a school where there was room to play and understanding teachers.

Posted January 16, 2010

Things have not changed since 2004. There is still no place for the children to play in bad weather. This means they are cramped in small rooms for the entire day. The rooms here are also much smaller than classrooms at other schools. My child attended this school for a year and loved it until he became an active little boy instead of a small toddler. His new teacher made it clear she could not deal with him. My son is now in a school with large rooms and a gym to play in on bad weather days and is thriving. I haven't had to leave him crying for me once at his new school. When considering schools for your child please look for one with a gym for bad weather days.

Posted September 29, 2008

We like the low teacher/student ratios and low turnover, but feel unwelcomed by the staff who seems to be indifferent towards parents in general. Perhaps a gentle nudge into reality, out of the complacency that comes with tenure would remind them that - in addition to providing all supplies & snacks - we also pay their salaries...Some regard and courtesy is in order.

Posted June 21, 2007

My children attended the Amarillo Montessori Academy for preschool and elementary school. They were each treated as individuals with different needs. The curriculum was challenging and they were able to excel at their own pace. Spanish, music and art are all offered either as part of the tuition or privately at the school. They were loved and respected by the staff and any concerns that we had were handled to our satisfaction. My husband and I both volunteered at the school and got to know the teachers and administration. I believe that children get more from school when parents are involved and communicate regularly with the teachers. My children felt accepted and cherished for their individual gifts. They never felt rejected if they did not understand a new concept or if they were learning a new social skill. I hope that my grandchildren will someday attend the Amarillo Montessori Academy.

Posted May 20, 2006

I would not take my son anywhere else. He is in the infant/toddler class and loves it. they take time to teach babies what they have the potential for learning, it's not just playing. they play with learning toys, listen to music, outside time. they encourage parent involvement and we can help as much as we want. They have certain amount of hours of parent activities required,which is not much, to get the parents involved but there are plenty of things to get involved in. I love it and wouldnt trust many others with my son, especially with all the day care 'problems' lately.

Posted April 12, 2005

My son is in the toddler program at the school. He really seems to enjoy the atmosphere and teachers. The activities they have on a daily basis include art (color, marker, paint, stamps, etc), music, reading, outside time, learning life skills (using utensils, intro to the potty, manners, sign language, etc).

Posted February 3, 2005

Both my son and saughter went to this school and we loved it. The staff was kind and great to work with. The worked great with my gifted children. My kids would still be at this school if we had not moved out of sate. I would highly recommend this school for any and all kids. They really look out for the whole family and include parents in the classroom. A+

Posted December 6, 2004

My son went to this school for a year and it was difficult and frustrating for him and for us. The facility does not provide for indoor play. So when it is cold they are cooped up in small classrooms with maximum capacity student loads. The administration was ineffective in solving problems and if I had looked closer they have very few boys enrolled. In retrospect they prefer compliant little girls over active little boys. We have changed to another school with kinder teachers, listening administrators and a great big gym.

Asian 8% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3806 Bowie St