Summit International Preparatory

Charter | 9-12 | 146 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 3, 2014

This is our first year at Summit. Educationally, it's been fine. My son has learned to read well and do simple math in kindergarten. Far, far, far too much homework is given to kindergarteners. I have been very disappointed with the amount of screen time, as pointed out by a poster below. PE should not be a platform for movie time. Operationally, the school is a disaster. Functions are poorly planned and executed. Parking is extremely inadequate. The carline is an absolute nightmare. Many of the specials teachers and administrators of the primary school have inappropriate expectations for behavior of kids this age.

Posted February 27, 2014

Extremely unorganized. I don't think anyone there has any knowledge on how to run a school. I stopped going to any meetings or festivals because it's so ridiculous how No one knows what they're doing. If your child goes to the nurse, you don't get told about it. Hardly anyone follows the dress code but you Will get a phone call for having even nude nail Polish on. They lie about having smaller class sizes. My daughter has 24 students in her 1st grade class and there's No teacher aid. They show movies in art, music, and even PE Alot. They aren't educational ones either. I didn't choose this school for that, she can watch movies at home. I chose it so she could have a bit of a higher education. Teachers are great but can be disorganized too, I think the way the school is ran is to blame for that. I will let my daughter finish the year but this was a huge regret.

Posted October 25, 2013

The school is poorly ran. The organization for events is always a disaster. For example, grandparent's day breakfast and the awards assemby. I also called one day because my daughter was going to miss school and they said that I don't have to call them if she will miss. I found that a bit odd or like they weren't concerned. However, I love, love, LOVE my daughter's 1st grade teacher. She is amazing. She's very dedicated to teaching and helping her students learn. I love the weekly email she sends out letting the parent's know what's going on for the week.

Posted September 7, 2013

Our son started at Summit in the 6th grade last month. We are beyond overwhelmed with positive experiences!! Teachers are SO committed and so eager to harness the info usual strengths of every scholar, rather than forcing them to all assimilate to generic expectations. The teachers are creative and teach "why" and don't just force test information down the scholars. When we asked our son the biggest difference. Between Summit and his previous "exemplary" rated elementary he said "The teachers actually answer my questions instead of telling me to ask another student to explain to me." Amazing! The teachers actually get to TEACH at Summit!! We are so thrilled and feel so lucky! He is on a solid track to college and we feel so blessed that he is under the care and guidance of these tremendously qualified and caring teachers!!!

Posted August 23, 2013

My son started going there this year and he loves it. The teachers are nice and are willing to help you with any question you might have. At first I wasn't sure about the school because I couldn't get any one to return my calls at first but I am glad that I stayed on it.

Posted March 19, 2013

I have a 9th student and a 6th grade student at Summit. Kids at this school seem to have a tight bond. Teachers work amazing hours and the dedication is refreshing. Teachers are also always available to the student till 9 pm by cell phone. Curriculum is advanced and expectations are high. Positive atmosphere. A little unorganized, but inspected with the amount of stuff they try and fit in.

Posted August 22, 2012

I never had a chance to find out about the school. My son was accepted and when I asked to have a tour of the school before going further, I was told they didn't have time for a tour. They politely said the adminstrators were too busy admitting other students. Guess that decided it for me. My son won't be going there if there isn't any more effort made than that to accommodate the parents.

Posted August 11, 2012

Everyone who is saying bad things about this school is wrong maybe its your kid who does not work hard. I go to school here and my teachers are great the teacher there actually make school fun. i don't like learning but with the way they teach i just don't want to stop learning!! I love all my teachers and classmates. And parents that say that this school is not good then first look at your child and then say things about it because your child does not want to learn and you are blaming the teachers and the school. Everyone this school is great and i I give this school a 100!!!!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 8, 2012

This is our second year at Summit and I couldn't be more content with the academic results. Luckily, my children are small (1st and 2nd graders) so they got to experience important skills early on. During the summer, my Kindergartener was able to read chapter books thoroughly and my first grader was telling time and working with currency, Most importantly, their self esteem and attitude demonstrate a sense of maturity at such a young age. The staff is friendly and maintains a profressional attitude at all times. Parent involvement can be better.

Posted June 21, 2012

This school was the worst school that my child has EVER been to. The teachers just don't care. Two of my child's teachers didn't even have an education and they were teaching! He used to be a straight A student and fell behind a year from being in this school. Please do not make the same mistake as we did. I do not recommend this school to ANYONE.

Posted March 29, 2012

Our first year at summit has been a good one. My son's kindergarten teacher has been great. She genuinely cares and is easy to contact if there are any questions or concerns. I agree that Summit is not perfect, but what school is. For those who posted complaints - did you ever bring these concerns to the director, or did you just sit and complain. If you are a parent with a concern about a teacher, it is your duty to let the director know - this school is here for your student, stand up for them. The school requires that each family do 40 hours of volunteer work at the school, but when I went to put in my 40 hours, I only saw the same few parents there every time. The people who complain the most are probably those who do the least. It takes a whole village to raise a child - don't expect to send you child to school and have the school do everything for you. Things that are challenging about the school: Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri ; 8:00am-3:30pm Wed: 8:00am-1:30pm No Buses: To pick your child up you must wait in a carline, and some of the parents are always trying to cut in line. Lack of Parent Involvement: It seems like a lot of the parents are not involved.

Posted December 1, 2011

What a complete disappointment this school is. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, new teachers with out education degrees. No consistency from the teachers and no accountability. No true extra cirricular activities, sports or clubs. Teachers are demanding of the kids but don't deliver themselves.........................very sad that they have many families fooled.

Posted September 16, 2011

It is important to note that those test scores represent the first graduating class. Some of the students scored very high on the SAT and some did not. That is why it is called an average. Texas overall had a low average SAT. Those students came to the school starting as 9th graders and all have been accepted to a 4 year schools. You have to start some where and the expectation is to see even higher SAT scores in the future. $6.4million in scholarships and grants is not a bad number for 22 students. What other school is the area can give you that?

Posted September 16, 2011

My son hated school because he was not challenged in Public school. Here the teachers expect more from the students but also help them achieve those high goals. Everyone is involved from there Advisory teacher, the the principle, to the clubs leadership. Thanks, Summit

Posted September 14, 2011

Summit has lofty goals but is far from reaching their goals. Go to the TEA website and you will find their SAT scores are well below average as well as their college readiness scores. Teachers and administration lack common sense. Their moto states that students are responsible for their own learning, which is the truth. Teachers are grasping at straws and do not teach well. Students are expected to teach themselves. If you are not a native Spanish speaker, your child will have a disadvantage in ranking and AP classes. Students are expected to forgo lunch, bathroom breaks, and sleep even with an extended school day. From experience, I would not recommend this school to anyone.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 13, 2011

Summit is a great school. We've been a Summit family since it opened. The school recieved an "Exemplary" rating (highest in Texas) based on the results of required State testing. My 5th grader participated in the Robotics club with 6th and 7th graders. My 1st grader enjoyed Soccer and got PLENTY of math and science lessons, homework and projects. My 4th grader needed extra reading and math help and reicieved extra tutoring before and after school. The Administration makes an effort to inspire the teachers and students to excel. Certainly there are areas needing to improve, but each year it gets better and better!

Posted May 16, 2011

My middle daughter had an A avereage at the local public school so I shouldn't have worried. I sat down to help her with her homework and she could barely get through her directions. I asked her teacher about it and she said my daughter was fine.Then a friend of mine told us about SIP. I went there with my questions and they had her tested right away. Turns out she has a learning disability and SIP does everything they can to support her needs.4 yrs later all my kids go there and I will never send them anywhere else.

Posted April 19, 2011

I am amazed at badly this school is run. My 4th grader is doing 1st and 2nd grade work. There is NO Science or History taught at all. The math and reading is BELOW par. My child has been hit multiple times by one child yet nothing has been done. As for Middle school the drug enforcement policy does not exists. And the education is lacking as well. RUN they sell a good game but the reality is this school is below par and lacking in MANY areas.

Posted February 28, 2011

Stay Away and Run. Summit has great aspirations and will one day achieve their goal; however, there are a few years away from obtaining the goal. My child has attended the school from the day it opened, which was 4 years ago. The curriculum has yet to become advanced and when homework assignments are not turned in, there are no repercussions. The selection of AP classes has increased but SIP is far from offering the needed curriculum.

Posted July 19, 2010

The educatuion is awsome! But communication with the teachers & Dean,Mrs. Martinez is horrible. If you have time to be at the school in peron when you have a problem then you have no worries. This year we are suppose to have a new Dean for pimary school so hopfully things will get better!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

40 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

40 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

32 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

29 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

30 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

30 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

• Karen Evans
Fax number
  • (817) 287-5132

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1100 Roosevelt