Lamar High School

Public | 9-12 | 2865 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 10, 2014

Lamar was a great school. I really liked it , The teachers were great , the enviorment was really nice . i felt comfroatble there. i enjoyed coming to school every morning . everybody was very friendly . i just really enjoyed my self there and i wish i could come back !

Posted February 4, 2014

As a parent of two Lamar graduates, I am most pleased with the educational opportunities that were given to them. Lamar is the "real world" of cultures/ traditions, an important part of education. Lamar teachers are hard-working, go "above and beyond" for students, and care deeply for their students in all areas, not just academics. When there are problems, those students tend to be disinterested in learning, feel that they are entitled to passing grades, and have uninvolved parents. Once the student is having difficulties, the parent shows up only to blame the teachers/administrators for the student's failing grades and/or unruly behavior. Those students and parents are NOT the majority at Lamar. However, those students and parents "make the most noise" in the community and media and run to central office, again making sure that the community and media know that the parent is certain that the student has been treated unfairly. Lamar, or any other school, should not be judged by those students and parents. Lamar is a top-notch educational preparation for life beyond high school, whatever path a student may choose. I am very proud that my children are Lamar graduates.

Posted January 17, 2014

Lost its rating, extremely dangerous, theft is ridiculous. I have had two kids attend this school and it's just become extremely poor in education as well as several of their other programs. There are simply too many children attending this school and not enough resources or properly trained teachers. Do not send your child to this school if at all possible!

Posted August 19, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised :). We transferred from Martin HS to Lamar for the IB program. I have never experienced an easier transition. Lamar HS staff went out of their way to make this process easy- unlike previous schools in the Arlington school district. I truly believe that each school is what you choose to make of it. We are positive and look for great things and have experienced them so far. This school has far exceeded my expectations.

Posted March 30, 2012

Honestly, this school can be pretty good at times, depending on which teacher you have. It is an interesting school, although most people think of it as a bad place, I think of it as helping me with my life skills.

Posted October 27, 2011

I'm pretty pleased with Lamar High School. I had a son who graduated June 2011 and now I have a daughter who will be graduating in 2013. The school has great resources the students just have to want it. I think our children are so used to having things done quick and in a hurry they don't want to take out the time to do the work. And then the parents think that once they send their child to these schools it's all on the teacher. No, these teachers still need the backing of the parents. These teachers are here to prepare your child for college or life after High School. And I've noticed the reason a lot of these kids are out of control is because the parents are not involved and they are lazy. You can't blame it on a single parent home because you can be from a 2 parent home and kids still out of control. We as parents need to stop blaming the schools for our children not receiving a good education. My only concern I have with Lamar is that from the Principal to the Faculty we need to support our students when they are involved in something that will recognize not only that student but the school too.

Posted August 27, 2011

This was my first week at Lamar and I hated it. The school is extremely over-crowded, and most classes have 40 or more students, and many have to sit on the floor. All the students go to lunch at the same time, so many of them don't get to eat because the lunch lines are so long. The Pre-AP teachers, especially the english teachers, give out mountains of homework, even though they say they focus on the quality of the work, rather than the amount. During this first week, there was one a fight and a student pulled the fire alarm during lunch. Overall, this is not a good or safe school.

Posted June 7, 2011

Lamar this very good about keeping parents updated on how their child is doing in school. If a parent has any question regarding a class you can email the teacher and you will receive a response within 24 hours. Lamar offers alot of activities that are outside of the classroom and appeals to a wide variety of interests. The student/teacher ratio is very good and allows the teacher to interact with the students. Lamar is a good good high school.

Posted November 16, 2010

I have twins at Lamar. Over the course of the years we have had as many as 16 different teachers at any given time. I have yet to find a teacher who does not give above and beyond what could be expected. Before school at 6:30 and after school at 4:30 to 5:00. These are long hours of availability. One teacher even meets kids on Thursday evenings at a very public place so he can help one on one. I am surprised and disappointed that a school of 3000 kids does not fill up a theater when there is a school play or fill the stands at sporting events. I think the recruitment of kids into the clubs could be much stronger. I think support for the sports and clubs could be much stronger. I give the school an overall 4 stars, but the teachers and education are a 5.

Posted September 22, 2010

My son started 9th grade this year at Lamar. This school is a joke. Its is the worse the teachers are lazy. The school is old. They have ran out of lunch my son never gets to eat lunch. One of his teachers has lost his home work. At open house I asked one teacher how my son was doing she said I dont discuss grades at open house. I asked one teacher when progress reports would be out he said I dont know next week this week. The air condition went out I called and asked when it would be back on the secretary asked was I called the right school because I have air in my office. She put me on hold then came back and said oh it is out in some parts of the school. My son says he is learning the same thing from last year.

Posted May 25, 2010

Large school with broad demographic mix of students. Has problems and challenges, but has a strong tradition, a lot of outstanding students, many good teachers and administrators, and a strong base of very involved parents.

Posted November 27, 2009

I am currently a freshman at lamar. Class of 2013 and I am very impressed with this school. Yes, there are fights but that's just life. Education is very very important at this school. Most of the teachers are willing to help no matter what. They do not put up with the kids that walk in and just go to sleep. Football is very important to this school but every other sport is also! Soccer this year should be very good! Thats all I have to say.

Posted October 9, 2009

Lamar High School is not as bad as people say, it is not 'getto' or anything. It all depends on the students and the choices and friends they pick. If your child cares enough about there education they are not going to let anything or anybody get in there way- it's as simply as that. So basically don't blame the teachers or the school for your childs mistake. I love Lamar &I wouldnt want to be anywere else! Go Vikes!

Posted September 14, 2009

This School is great!!! But There is too Much Violence at the school! and idk how we put up with it but they need another high school gor nichols to feed into because we are packed full my temporary has 35 kids!!!

Posted June 19, 2009

Lamar ia a great school. It has great adadimics and a great security staff. I recently unenrolled my son for AHS due to gang activity and I feel safer with him at Lamar. His teachers are helpful and the other kids attitude are great. My son loves his new environment. Athletics do not pulll a big punch im Lamar as they did in the other school. I am happy with Lamar beyond words. 10 out of 10 star rating for me.

Posted May 31, 2009

When I went to UTA I was lost bc the teachers and advisors didnt lead or help students as to what to do after high school and how to go about it if you arent a popular kid or straight a sstudent as for the parent involvement theres tons but they are rude parents if your kid isnt the class bully or gets around then you nor your kid will fit in

Posted February 2, 2009

I think it is a good school the teachers are very nice but the athletic department has a lot to do with the school.

Posted October 8, 2008

I disagree with the prior statement that this school is only about football. Volley ball track and soccer matter just as much to us, the students. We have excelent school spirit, and teachers. But I have seen 4 fights involving at least four students since the beginnig of the year.

Posted August 26, 2008

Lamar has wonderful academics as well as extra and co-curricular classes.

Posted May 26, 2008

Lamar has always had caring teachers with high expectations. However, the change in attitude is not with the teachers but with the parents of the present day students. They choose to send their child to a school that has high expectations but then they do not do their part to ensure their child is doing their homework and becoming involved in the school activities. PTA night used to be standing room only, but not any more, but all the teachers are there to meet the few parents that show up. You can only get out of education what you bring to it. If you come to school for fun and socials then you are there for the wrong reasons.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

827 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

790 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

618 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

605 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

598 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

595 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

553 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

555 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

557 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

555 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students94%

White99%
Economically disadvantaged97%
Special education74%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Unacceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

499 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

205 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

666 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

461 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

765 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

774 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

602 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

603 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

589 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

739 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

572 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Non-Gifted58%

Asian 5% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Dance

• Dr Larry Harmon
Fax number
  • (817) 801-6255

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1400 Lamar Blvd