Bad
Good

This school has wonderful teachers but has the most reprehensible administration I have seen in raising 4 children over 33 years and 18 different schools (we were military). I withdrew my daughter after one year due to belligerent students that disrupt classes and administrators that won't support teachers in ensuring safe and healthy environment for students. Principals and vice principals allow students to get away with Cursing at teachers, leaving classes and returning at will, wondering hallways, bullying kids, and talking while teachers are trying to teach. In order to understand why my child was bringing home outrageous stories of classroom disruption, I took a job as a substitute. I discovered the situation far worse than my daughter described. Many parents I've spoken to believe it's the demographics of the school. I found, by sustituting at other Arlington USD schools, that it's not the demographics. It's the administration. Other high schools in Arlington have poorer demographics but principals and their management are far better than Lamar.

Terrible. Don't send your kids there. The academics are ok, but the riff raff is not worth it.

Lamar was a great school. I really liked it , The teachers were great , the enviorment was really nice . i felt comfroatble there. i enjoyed coming to school every morning . everybody was very friendly . i just really enjoyed my self there and i wish i could come back !

As a parent of two Lamar graduates, I am most pleased with the educational opportunities that were given to them. Lamar is the "real world" of cultures/ traditions, an important part of education. Lamar teachers are hard-working, go "above and beyond" for students, and care deeply for their students in all areas, not just academics. When there are problems, those students tend to be disinterested in learning, feel that they are entitled to passing grades, and have uninvolved parents. Once the student is having difficulties, the parent shows up only to blame the teachers/administrators for the student's failing grades and/or unruly behavior. Those students and parents are NOT the majority at Lamar. However, those students and parents "make the most noise" in the community and media and run to central office, again making sure that the community and media know that the parent is certain that the student has been treated unfairly. Lamar, or any other school, should not be judged by those students and parents. Lamar is a top-notch educational preparation for life beyond high school, whatever path a student may choose. I am very proud that my children are Lamar graduates.

Lost its rating, extremely dangerous, theft is ridiculous. I have had two kids attend this school and it's just become extremely poor in education as well as several of their other programs. There are simply too many children attending this school and not enough resources or properly trained teachers. Do not send your child to this school if at all possible!

I was pleasantly surprised :). We transferred from Martin HS to Lamar for the IB program. I have never experienced an easier transition. Lamar HS staff went out of their way to make this process easy- unlike previous schools in the Arlington school district. I truly believe that each school is what you choose to make of it. We are positive and look for great things and have experienced them so far. This school has far exceeded my expectations.

Honestly, this school can be pretty good at times, depending on which teacher you have. It is an interesting school, although most people think of it as a bad place, I think of it as helping me with my life skills.

I'm pretty pleased with Lamar High School. I had a son who graduated June 2011 and now I have a daughter who will be graduating in 2013. The school has great resources the students just have to want it. I think our children are so used to having things done quick and in a hurry they don't want to take out the time to do the work. And then the parents think that once they send their child to these schools it's all on the teacher. No, these teachers still need the backing of the parents. These teachers are here to prepare your child for college or life after High School. And I've noticed the reason a lot of these kids are out of control is because the parents are not involved and they are lazy. You can't blame it on a single parent home because you can be from a 2 parent home and kids still out of control. We as parents need to stop blaming the schools for our children not receiving a good education. My only concern I have with Lamar is that from the Principal to the Faculty we need to support our students when they are involved in something that will recognize not only that student but the school too.

This was my first week at Lamar and I hated it. The school is extremely over-crowded, and most classes have 40 or more students, and many have to sit on the floor. All the students go to lunch at the same time, so many of them don't get to eat because the lunch lines are so long. The Pre-AP teachers, especially the english teachers, give out mountains of homework, even though they say they focus on the quality of the work, rather than the amount. During this first week, there was one a fight and a student pulled the fire alarm during lunch. Overall, this is not a good or safe school.

Lamar this very good about keeping parents updated on how their child is doing in school. If a parent has any question regarding a class you can email the teacher and you will receive a response within 24 hours. Lamar offers alot of activities that are outside of the classroom and appeals to a wide variety of interests. The student/teacher ratio is very good and allows the teacher to interact with the students. Lamar is a good good high school.

Last modified Lamar High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.