Arlington, TX

Pope Elementary School 4

Posted July 30, 2014
This school has the best teachers, but not the best students. In second grade was punch and had 50$ stolen from me. I felt safe most of the times and had fun, i wasn't bullied or teased, I met great friends. Sixth grade is one of my favorite years, i had great teachers and friends. But the boys thought it was cool to get in fights, so every now and then we would have a fight (not me). And most of the new girls would want to get in fights, but my friends and i stayed out of it. The faculty lacked personality, one of the teachers had inappropriate photos on their computer folder. Overall the school has been wonderful!

Posted June 17, 2014
I had my children transferred here from another school. I absolutely love this school. The teachers are very helpful in keeping you informed on the status of your children and grades. They work with them if closely if they see their lacking in some areas. I wish more schools were like this.

Pope Elementary School 4

Posted June 16, 2014
I am a very active dad in the dads' club and the PTA for the last 8 years at Pope. I have two children that have attended this school and I have been very happy. We have had great teachers in that time with the exception of two who are no longer there. As I read some of the reviews I saw several outright lies. The class size runs around 18-20 children per class. I have made copies for each teacher and know this to be a fact. Also the district has strict guidelines for class size. Ms. Kilgore is very supportive of the Dads' Club and PTA. She has been at every event the Dads' Club has hosted and I have seen her at every PTA meeting I have attended. When we had a problem with one of our children being bullied, the problem was addressed and stopped immediately. I can assure you that the school does not "bus kids in" to get federal money. There is a federal law that if your school does not meet standards you can transfer to another school. Pope has a reputation as a good school so it is a natural choice for parents from nearby under-performing schools.

Posted July 11, 2013
All three of my children are Pope Panthers, and I am thankful for that. The teachers and staff are dedicated, and the diversity of the school's students will prepare my children for the "real world." There are lots of activities for the children to be involved in, including Choir, Battle of the Books, Accelerated Reader, Mythology Club, Chess Club, Books for Breakfast, and Junior Scholars. Parents are welcome to be involved through PTA, Dad's Club or as volunteers. This past year, the school focused on our children building good character, and had a theme for each week. As far as public schools go, Pope Elementary is one of the best in Arlington.

Pope Elementary School 1

Posted October 06, 2012
My daughter is a current kindergartner at this school. I have had two incidents so far with the school that are yet to be resolved. The first is my daughter received 19 insect bites on one leg while playing on the playground in pants and the teacher did not even notice until a few days later when she was caught trying to apply antihistamine cream to herself in class because she did not receive proper medical attention from the school staff. ( I did not send her to school with this creme). The second issue so far in my first six weeks of dealing with this school is I called the school one afternoon about 2:45 PM to explain I was stuck in traffic and would be late to pick her up. I was reassured she would be waiting in the front office when I arrived. She was not. They did not know where she was nor who had picked her up. Turns out she was allowed to go home with an unauthorized person that one of the other children at the school introduced to her and offered her a ride home. I still do not know who this person is to date even after speaking with Mrs. Kilgore. She did not make me feel reassured my child was safe at her school. Thank god my kid was ok.

Posted June 13, 2011
This school is a very nice school..My nephew goes there and they are so helpful with him.. He is learning so many things, everyday he comes home with all these new topics he is learning.

Posted January 31, 2011
I had a total of 4 children attend this school. I withdrew the youngest two b/c the needs of the children for gifted and talented were not being met. When concerns arose about a teacher, the responsibility was placed back on the parents to resolve the issue. There has been a sharp decline in the quality of the education. The last straw was the overcrowded classroom (24 in a k-2 class) with multiple behavior problem children and no regular teacher's aide to assist.

Posted December 21, 2010
I went to this school from K-6 and all I can say is that it really isn't that great of a school. When you are in sixth grade, all they do is baby you. By the principal, she never supported us. She never attended any events that were important to the school. The school isn't that good. When I was in sixth grade, I wanted to move to Butler Elementary School. As far as fighting, there was really nothing going on. But they took off the monkey bars... and once you got older you had less and less time of recess. I didn't like it there. The cafeteria staff was also real mean and rude.

Posted November 03, 2010
When my son transferred in from another school district, Pope was very snobbish. I was told my son would be behind since, all other schools were not as great as theirs. The principal is always pushing for TAKS scores to be higher. My son was passing all of his classes and missed the TAKS by a couple of points, in one subject, so they held him back one year. I felt they could have kept him with the rest of his classmates, and just worked with him a little more. I do not feel that a school should teach to a test, but to the individual student. They want your money to join the PTA, but not a lot of encouragement to help.

Posted October 21, 2010
I have been a teacher and a parent at Pope for over a decade. I have never been so proud to be a part of a faculty before. We support each other and our students. My children have grown by leaps and bounds due to the exceptional teachers they've had at Pope. I am highly motivated by my co-workers and feel blessed to have my kids there. They are doing very well because of they great teachers employed at our school who work to reach students of all abilities. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing. You will love Pope's campus and your child will leave prepared for junior high.

Pope Elementary School
901 Chestnut Drive, Arlington, TX  76012
Last modified Pope Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pope Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top