Wood Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 741 students

Posted September 29, 2013

Wood is an excellent elementary school. The previous principal that resulted in some of the negative comments on this site was replaced after one semester in December of 2012 and the new principle has restored everything that has made this school outstanding for all of our children. The teachers are fantastic, easy to communicate with, and truly care about their students.

Posted August 18, 2013

My child is entering Wood this school year and I am very nervous about the whole situation. I decided to put my child at Wood vs private school based on recommendation. According to other parents that have children at Wood the teachers challenge the kids and will teach to their level and not wait for other to catch up. However I have one concern that did not sit well with me the Principal. I had to register my child for school and had an opportunity to meet several staff members at that time. All of them were pretty warming and seemed to care. Ms. Bettis is not an approachable individual and was not friendly at all. She never offered to help any parent , smiled, or even spoke to parents. She just sat down and talked to staff and that was not a good first impression of Wood. Her unfriendliness made me second guess if I was doing the right thing with Ms. Bettis being so cold and not inviting. Thankfully other staff members made up for her first impression of what Wood and AISD represent. Hopefully after reading this a better first impression will be made to other visitor/ parents that walk into the building.

Posted August 14, 2013

Great schools are like great families. They have their high points and their low points. In the end the family may be changed, but it s still a family. Wood Elementary has been through many changes recently. As parents, we try to make the best decisions for our children. I believe with Wood Elementary, I have. My children learn everyday and are happy, nurtured and respected. The parent involvement is unlike any public school I ve ever seen. When I have a concern, I feel it is addressed with professionalism and kindness. The faculty & staff are friendly, caring and focused. I always feel welcome when I enter the front doors. A great school will continue to change, not all will agree with the change. A positive attitude speaks volumes. I look forward to my children s growth and education at Wood Elementary.

Posted October 28, 2012

Change is always difficult, but when the best interest of children is in mind, it is good. I would like to say that is the case this year, but it is not. Wood of the past has always had administrators who knew each students' name, this year I'm not sure he knows the teacher's names. Never have I seen such cold and unfriendly administration. Thank goodness most of the orginal teachers are still there that know that there is more to teaching than data. A well rounded child has strong academics and teachers that truly care. For that reason I will continue to send my kids to Wood.

Posted October 23, 2012

I LOVE our school. They are so caring and I can see my daughter learning every day. The administration is AMAZING! They are innovative and make sure they have a personal connection with every child. They address parents concerns directly and publicly, and explain the reasoning behind their decisions. It is a shame however, that the PTA and some teachers are reluctant to embrace the POSITIVE change that is going on. I make sure to volunteer at school at every opportunity I get and am pleased to note that not all parents are focused on their status rather than the quality of education their children are receiving. I look forward to 5 additional years at Wood under the Johansen/Walker administration.

Posted October 4, 2012

I am a parent at Wood. We came to Wood this year BECAUSE of the new principal & assistant principal. They are AMAZING, CARING administrators. My son was at their last school and we followed them to Wood! Mr. J is going to make TONS of changes to the school. And, while they seem a little "out there", once they're in place, you're gonna love them! He is an out-of-the box thinker who wants our kids to receive a world-class education every day!

Posted September 6, 2012

My heart breaks for our school. The teachers care deeply about the children.The parents are involved and supportive. We have a new principal and assistant principal who are making many, many changes without a complete understanding of what has made Wood so special for many years.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 17, 2012

I moved to Texas from Chicago, IL in July of 2011 and my main concern was a good school and the safety of my children. I have a kindergartener and a 3rd grader, Mrs. Escott is my kindergartener's teacher and she is AWESOME, she's caring, he has learned so much in her class, and she's very patient with the children. My son loves her. My 3rd grader has Mrs. Frank and although Mrs. Frank is older and may visually seem to be a conservative. She's actually a lot of fun, but serious about the children's learning. She teaches the children to think things out, comprehend and forces them to explain what they have learned. I love this about her. She doesnt apply memorization learning, she actually teaches. My daughter is continuing to thrive in her class. I think Principal Sandra White is excellent, you can tell she genuinely cares about the students education & safety. They have an awesome PTA, their always hosting fun events for the children. I have no complaints about Wood. My children have not experienced bullying, and this is something they take serious. They have anti-bullying rules in place, they have campaigns and encourage the children to speak up against bullying. Great School!

Posted September 3, 2009

Great School. Originally under Ms. Sandy McNutt, now principle is one of her understudies. Good teachers, VERY involved parents, as close to private school as one will see in public school.

Posted March 8, 2009

We are new at this school this year (2008 - 09), and didn't know what to expect when we arrived. This school undoubtedly goes the second mile for the students (and sometimes the third and fourth mile too). Academics and good manners and behaviour are the primary emphases at Wood. The new principal, Mrs. Sandy White, will know the names of your children during their first month in the school -- and will likely call you by name as well. The school has a long history of achievement, with multiple extra curricular activities and a great music & drama program. Even the Optimist-sponsored sports teams are more prolific at Wood than any of the surrounding elementary schools. You will not be disappointed by Wood Elementary. Dan & Genoveva Malone

Posted August 30, 2008

Wood Elementary is a great school! Both of my children attend and I feel they are very well taken care of and loved when they are away from me. The staff is wonderful and the PTA is awesome!

Posted August 25, 2008

We have been at wood for the past 7 years all four of my children have now attended. Two are now in High School. My two youngest still attend. Wood is a great school overall the staff does get to know each child and parent by name that shocks me at times. Parent involvement is really strong at this school sometimes to strong but it is better than not having any. Taks testing is expressesd very strongly but that goes for any Texas school. Would you rather them ignore it and your child not succeed it is a catch 22. The teachers are great but you always have atleast one bad apple in the group just listen to your kids and their friends when they talk. As for the comment about parents dressing up, look at the neighborhood the school is in that is a given.

Posted August 18, 2008

I am extremely impressed with the teaching and caring environment for the children at Wood Elementary. All students and parents feel welcomed the moment they walk through the doors. The teachers are supportive and dedicated to their students and strive to instill in them values rarely seen in schools these days. You could not find a better school in Arlington!

Posted August 1, 2008

I love this school! We moved into the area specifically so my then kindergartener could attend such a great school. We are satisfied with our choice. We wouldn't want to be anywhere else! Jeremy & Charisa Nowell

Posted April 25, 2007

The facilty at Wood are top notch.

Posted April 4, 2007

Words cannot begin to describe Wood Elementary. After being in private schools for several years, we moved our boys to Wood. Until this year, I've had three boys at Wood. Not only have they received an incredible education, but they spend their day in a loving, nuturing environment. Parents are always welcome during the day...anytime, anyday. Moving our children to Wood was one of the best decisions my husband and I have made. Thank you Ms. McNutt and the Wood teachers! We love you!

Posted March 26, 2007

We love Wood Elementary! There is a warm, caring feeling from the minute you walk into the front office. It is obvious that this school loves our children!

Posted February 23, 2007

Wood has been a wonderful experience for my child. The staff at Wood are excellent and most caring. Sandy McNutt is a wonderful principal who definitely cares about every student.

Posted April 17, 2006

great school, excellent teachers

Posted January 28, 2006

This is a fabulous school! High parent participation and you couldn't ask for a better administrative staff! The principal Sandy Mcnutt and the Vice Principal Ms. White are the most wonderful people and great role modles for the kids. They always try to provide a positive and up lifting experiance for the Kids.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

129 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

127 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

135 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

136 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

135 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 84% in 2011.

156 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2011.

156 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students95%

Not special education91%
Limited English proficient (LEP)75%
Proficient in English92%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

All Students92%

U.S. History

World Geography

World History

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 5% 4%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3300 Pimlico Drive