Posted September 29, 2013
Wood is an excellent elementary school. The previous principal that resulted in some of the negative comments on this site was replaced after one semester in December of 2012 and the new principle has restored everything that has made this school outstanding for all of our children. The teachers are fantastic, easy to communicate with, and truly care about their students.

Wood Elementary School 3

Posted August 18, 2013
My child is entering Wood this school year and I am very nervous about the whole situation. I decided to put my child at Wood vs private school based on recommendation. According to other parents that have children at Wood the teachers challenge the kids and will teach to their level and not wait for other to catch up. However I have one concern that did not sit well with me the Principal. I had to register my child for school and had an opportunity to meet several staff members at that time. All of them were pretty warming and seemed to care. Ms. Bettis is not an approachable individual and was not friendly at all. She never offered to help any parent , smiled, or even spoke to parents. She just sat down and talked to staff and that was not a good first impression of Wood. Her unfriendliness made me second guess if I was doing the right thing with Ms. Bettis being so cold and not inviting. Thankfully other staff members made up for her first impression of what Wood and AISD represent. Hopefully after reading this a better first impression will be made to other visitor/ parents that walk into the building.

Posted August 14, 2013
Great schools are like great families. They have their high points and their low points. In the end the family may be changed, but it s still a family. Wood Elementary has been through many changes recently. As parents, we try to make the best decisions for our children. I believe with Wood Elementary, I have. My children learn everyday and are happy, nurtured and respected. The parent involvement is unlike any public school I ve ever seen. When I have a concern, I feel it is addressed with professionalism and kindness. The faculty & staff are friendly, caring and focused. I always feel welcome when I enter the front doors. A great school will continue to change, not all will agree with the change. A positive attitude speaks volumes. I look forward to my children s growth and education at Wood Elementary.

Posted October 28, 2012
Change is always difficult, but when the best interest of children is in mind, it is good. I would like to say that is the case this year, but it is not. Wood of the past has always had administrators who knew each students' name, this year I'm not sure he knows the teacher's names. Never have I seen such cold and unfriendly administration. Thank goodness most of the orginal teachers are still there that know that there is more to teaching than data. A well rounded child has strong academics and teachers that truly care. For that reason I will continue to send my kids to Wood.

Posted October 23, 2012
I LOVE our school. They are so caring and I can see my daughter learning every day. The administration is AMAZING! They are innovative and make sure they have a personal connection with every child. They address parents concerns directly and publicly, and explain the reasoning behind their decisions. It is a shame however, that the PTA and some teachers are reluctant to embrace the POSITIVE change that is going on. I make sure to volunteer at school at every opportunity I get and am pleased to note that not all parents are focused on their status rather than the quality of education their children are receiving. I look forward to 5 additional years at Wood under the Johansen/Walker administration.

Wood Elementary School 4

Posted October 04, 2012
I am a parent at Wood. We came to Wood this year BECAUSE of the new principal & assistant principal. They are AMAZING, CARING administrators. My son was at their last school and we followed them to Wood! Mr. J is going to make TONS of changes to the school. And, while they seem a little "out there", once they're in place, you're gonna love them! He is an out-of-the box thinker who wants our kids to receive a world-class education every day!

Wood Elementary School 2

Posted September 06, 2012
My heart breaks for our school. The teachers care deeply about the children.The parents are involved and supportive. We have a new principal and assistant principal who are making many, many changes without a complete understanding of what has made Wood so special for many years.

Posted February 17, 2012
I moved to Texas from Chicago, IL in July of 2011 and my main concern was a good school and the safety of my children. I have a kindergartener and a 3rd grader, Mrs. Escott is my kindergartener's teacher and she is AWESOME, she's caring, he has learned so much in her class, and she's very patient with the children. My son loves her. My 3rd grader has Mrs. Frank and although Mrs. Frank is older and may visually seem to be a conservative. She's actually a lot of fun, but serious about the children's learning. She teaches the children to think things out, comprehend and forces them to explain what they have learned. I love this about her. She doesnt apply memorization learning, she actually teaches. My daughter is continuing to thrive in her class. I think Principal Sandra White is excellent, you can tell she genuinely cares about the students education & safety. They have an awesome PTA, their always hosting fun events for the children. I have no complaints about Wood. My children have not experienced bullying, and this is something they take serious. They have anti-bullying rules in place, they have campaigns and encourage the children to speak up against bullying. Great School!

Wood Elementary School 0

Posted September 03, 2009
Great School. Originally under Ms. Sandy McNutt, now principle is one of her understudies. Good teachers, VERY involved parents, as close to private school as one will see in public school.

Wood Elementary School 1

Posted August 13, 2009

Wood Elementary School
3300 Pimlico Drive, Arlington, TX  76017
Last modified Wood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wood Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top