No rating

Burton Adventist Academy

Private | PK-12

Living in Arlington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $121,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $970.

Posted August 25, 2014

I am a former student at Burton. The student races shown in the pie graph are wrong. The majority of students are foreign exchange students, the next being black. There is nothing wrong with that, aside from the pie graph being wrong. I left Burton for many reasons, but mainly because of the hateful and harmful teachings in the high school religion class. The way that hate is being thrust upon these children, in the name of God, is unnacceptable. A teacher's personal opinions on homosexuality should not be the subject of a whole semester. Even if the school thinks that it is wrong to be a homosexual, enforcing the idea on a child that it is evil and a sin to love a person of the same gender could potentially cause great damage to the child's mental and emotional state. I am completely disgusted by how I was treated as a student because of the way I felt towards other girls. The amount of damage that the hateful teachings of the religion teacher caused me to consider taking my own life. Besides all of that, the options for school activites are lacking, as are the options for foreign languages. I have learned more in a year of public school than I did spending six at Burton.

Posted July 14, 2014

I'm a student here at Burton. I feel that the school does show favoritism ,mostly to students with more money. I have noticed that over the years the school is always asking parents for money. I've come from a family that doesn't have as much money as others. I also feel that the principal doesn't have any qualifications to run the school. I have noticed that the school staff hires a lot of their own family members for jobs. Also some of the teachers say things to students that I have felt from experience 'quote' from me about former teacher 'why isn't she smiling'. this made me feel upset that a teacher would even say this to a student. Sometimes I've felt the work is to hard -quote from teacher- I was learning this stuff in college. The Anti-bullying policy doesn't do anything as i've seen in my classroom, there are always people getting left out for recess games.

Posted June 15, 2014

My son attended this school for a short period of time and then I withdrew him. He was reading before he entered Pre-K and I felt his teacher did not try to challenge him. I was dissatisfied with the educational program at his grade level and l felt he was not progressing at this school. . However it was great to send my son to a Christian school.

Posted May 23, 2014

The middle school here is a joke. They tell students is ok to get a D. Anything under 70 should be failing not passing. Any other school it would be. They have an anti bullying policy that is a joke. Considering my son was bullied more then once. He got hurt several times at the school once almost need stitches. The school didn't even call to let me know that he was hurt. Nor did the students that hurt him get in trouble. When i asked the Teacher he said he saw that he had deep cuts and scratches but didn't feel that he needed to do anything about it. The new ipad policy they have is good and bad. They do all work electronically and then they rarely do anything on paper. The bad thing about that he doesn't help them with writing essays and so forth that they will have to do in other schools and/or college. Late work they give them three or 4 weeks to turn in assignements late. I paid money that we didn't have so my son could have a Christian private school education. Instead of going to Ft Worth . However he would have got the exact same education which is really sad. I don't know about the Elementary and/or High School my only experience was with the Middle School.

Posted September 11, 2013

I love the fact that at this school, teachers go out of their way to get to know their students. Teachers are always available to tutor, mentor, and pray with the children at this school. The academics are great and the students are taught strong Christian morals. The smaller class size is an added bonus, allowing teachers to work with students one-on-one. Burton staff members are committed to serving the Lord and helping bring children to the kingdom of God.

Posted July 7, 2013

As a former parent of multiple students over several years, we were disappointed time and again by the favortism of some of the faculty members. This began with the school board members and was pushed down to the teachers. These same adults spread rumors about students that were not their "favorites" causing multiple issues for those children. As a Seventh-Day Adventist, I am terribly disappointed in this non-Christian like method for running and teaching within a school.

Posted July 1, 2013

As a student, teachers picked favorites. It was great in my elementary years, but they got rid of all the good teachers. They rarely discipline. In sports they only focus on the better players, not the ones who need improvement. It isn't a very good environment for children to learn or do extra circular activities. I remember in junior high looking forward to band. But we rarely had practice. This school has gone downhill over the years and only want money. They don't care about the students.

Posted February 9, 2009

Outstanding Christian Teachers, my daughter loves this school.

Posted December 30, 2008

As a former student, this school is very unsatisfactory. They favor certian students do to their financial status and their contribution to the school. They care more about where the money is coming from then the well being of their students. When i left this school and went to a pricate school I had to get tutoring to even keep up with what the kids were learning.

Posted February 8, 2006

This school is probably the best value for your educational dollar that you would ever find in private schools in the DFW area. The diversity of the student enrollment mirrors the the ethnic make up of the area. The teachers are involved and caring. There are many venues of communication used by the faculty for the parent. The school website is up today and informative. Every parent has access of uptodate records of each class for their student and the information is secure. There is a great sports program including basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer and flag football. There is a definite focus on christian values and morality. My son in now in his 9th year at Burton and I am very happy with the results

Posted November 25, 2005

The quality of the academic program at Burton is about average compared to other private schools, and his above average when compared to other Seventh Day Adventist schools in this area. The is a good music program in the high school. Sports are also well partioipated in. Overall Burton is a good school to attend.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 8, 2005

My kids have attended Burton for three years. We have had a tough time with the school. While we like the Christian environment, we feel the leadership and discipline part is low, and the school only caters to the 'middle of the line student', not a gifted one.

Posted February 17, 2004

My son has attended this shool for 6 years (freshman at present). He has placed in the top 2 % on the Iowa Basic Testing program, place 11th national in math competion and is already receiving recruitment letters from top universities. His class has 60% that rate 5% or higher on national testing. I feel that both scholastic and extracurricular activities are above average for the size of school.

Asian or Pacific Islander 14% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Seventh-day adventist
Associations
  • GCSDAC
Fax number
  • (817) 561-4237

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4611 Kelly Elliott Road