Arlington, TX

The Oakridge School 2

Posted August 28, 2015
We overpaid for a sub par experience there. The school is way behind in technology. One can get more for their money at other schools in the area. The quality of teaching continues to get weaker. Hiring newer teachers in order to pay less. Everything about the school involves the need for money. Headmaster is out of touch and makes poor decisions. It was a great school until the current headmaster took over. Very heavy on admin. and office folks. Not one national merit finalist last year (2015). Bullying, drugs,happen like any other school. The more money you donate, the better your child is treated. Athletic director has free reign and not in a good way. You can do better in this area for your money. The current website reflects the lack of technology. Lots of mistakes on it. Chauvenism abounds among athletics. Ask newer alumni (last 5 years), would you spend that amount for this school, for your child? I can promise it will be mostly negative responses for many reasons.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted August 04, 2015
Oakridge has some of the very best teachers in the world. As anywhere, there are a few that are lacking in comparison but very few.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 04, 2015
It is important for students to learn balance and they work on that. My child had an issue in 7th grade and the administration was quick to act and help.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 04, 2015
Our students learn to have balance with rigorous academics and athletic / extra curricular activities. The arts are phenomenal. I wish we were more competitive in sports but for serious athletes they have a great showcase for their talents.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 04, 2015
The Honor Code is a guiding force for all students in MS and US. Cheating and problems occur but the students know they are going to be help accountable and we parents (for the most part :)) support it.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 04, 2015
The Owl Families is a program that focuses on the caring nature of the school.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 04, 2015
The character education program that my child received while in the middle school was simply amazing. They had year studies of the Ultimate Gift, Energy Bus, Chicken Soup for the Soul and more.

The Oakridge School 5

Posted August 04, 2015
The Oakridge School is an amazing school community where students are the focus. The Learn 21 program paired with passionate teachers is incredible. If you want a life changing experience for your children, choose Oakridge.

The Oakridge School 3

Posted April 25, 2015
Before I began writing this review I scrolled down and read all the other comments below going back to 2009 I believe. I can honestly say things have deteriorated over the last couple of years. The ECC and Lower School do have pretty good programs I do agree with the review regarding the Everyday Math Program. That is not a reflection of the teachers though, that's a reflect of administration. The middle school for my first child was fine. I felt he had good quality instruction. Middle school athletics was a joke though. Middle school for my youngest was a NIGHTMARE! The Middle school has a serious problem with bullying and do little to nothing to stop it. If your child needs any kind of accommodations good luck! I had issues with one English teacher who chose to not do them. It was at that time that we pulled our youngest and left our oldest. By then my oldest was in the High School. Freshman year was a total joke. Geometry, English and Spanish teachers HORRIBLE! My son got nothing out of Geometry and showed on his ACT/SAT. Sophmore year was better, Chemistry instruction was lacking but that instructor has since been replaced.

The Oakridge School 5

Posted April 19, 2015
Oakridge has helped shape who I am today. As a junior, I started at Oakridge in Preschool, and I have been given so many opportunities. I take 4 AP classes this year, and I am in the choir and play three sports. Because of the great preparation I have had at Oakridge, I am ready to start the college application process next fall, and I know I am very prepared. All Oakridge graduates go on to four year universities.

5900 W Pioneer Pkwy, Arlington, TX  76013