Providence Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 520 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 29, 2013

There are a number of good teachers at Providence but overall the school is a mess. Bullys run rampant through the school tormenting the other kids and all the administration does is sweep it under the rug. They don't address the bullying they just move the victims to different classes. Great strategy, at this rate they will have classes with just the one bully and all the other kids piled up in a few. What this school needs is the principal's termination and it could be a great school.

Posted November 25, 2013

When my son was in second grade, there were two students in his class that continuously picked at him. One day on the playground he was grabbed by his neck and thrown to the ground. NONE of the teachers did anything about it even after other students confirmed what had happened. I went to the principle the next day. She told me since my child never reported any "bullying" issues before they wouldn't/couldn't consider it a bullying issue. They wouldn't even look into my complaint. So much for the "zero tolerance" policy. I took it upon myself to talk to the other parent. That took care of the situation for the most part. I am SO glad I do not have anymore children that will have to endure the administration of this school. All they care about is how they look on paper.

Posted May 15, 2013

My child attended this school from k-5 and spent an enormous amount of time in the principal's office, on punishment, etc. He was singled out on numerous occassions and targeted as a "bad" child. He didn't learn to read until second grade at which time he jumped up 5 levels due to an excellent teacher dedicated to teaching reading one-on-one. There were 2 yrs in which he had excellent educators who were pleased with his intellect rather than distracted and annoyed by his ADHD. He was paired in his final yr there with a teacher who had never taught before. Basically they told me it was either get him on medication or they were sending him to alternative school. About to complete his first yr of middle school, we have not had ONE disciplinary issue or even a call from the school. His grades are still good but now he has friends, attends school events and is flourishing socially as well as academically. I would rate Providence Elementary NO stars due to the despicable attitude permeated from the staff at the students who do not fit their "ideal" image. If you are not familiar with our current public school system and the rights of your child, you are in over your head at this school.

Posted August 24, 2011

The VP at this school had my child come into the office to complete work, day after day. It was supposedly not punishment and was she only missing her recess every day so she could have extra time to do work. I was notified by a secretarial person about this situation. The VP had a very ugly, inflexible attitude and she is very poor at communication. She showed no sign of caring about children or parents. She cares about rules. She gave my child a kind of sticker chart. When that sticker chart didn't work, her next solution was another sticker chart. Eventually, when the sticker charts weren't helping and the problems continued the disciplinary solution was to send our 2nd grader to the alternative school. We had to take her out and homeschool her. My child was having a special ed issue and was later diagnosed. She hasn't had any serious discipline issues since receiving accommodations and she was commended on her TAKS tests. Things have improved, but what I remember about having to interact with this VP was her lack of ability to establish rapport with my child or to explore any solutions other than the meager and ineffective one she had to offer.

Posted May 26, 2011

I love my son's school! I love that they are the Patriots! The school has been awarded for academic excellence and is truly a part of the community. My concerns are that there seems to be too much turnover in the staff, young inexperienced teachers that are laying the foundation for our children's future education, and, due to a very small percentage of ethnic minority students, the student body and the staff tend to stereotype those students. Minority students are ostracized and are focused on during TAKS, etc. Teachers are quick to assume that they have a learning disability and quicker still to focus on them with stricter disciplinary measures, etc.

Posted February 9, 2011

Both my children have attended this school and it's fantastic. I have had experiences w/ teachers, staff, and the administration. Everyone has been wonderful. A really great school.

Posted October 7, 2010

We really like this school and for the first and second grade our child was a straight A student. Third grade was a different story and we identified a significant conflict with the teacher. We brought to attention of the VP and were told that would be addressed immediately and that our child would be moved to another class. We were later contacted by the P and told that the VP did not follow proper procedure and that the VPs commitment could not be implemented. Frankly, we could care less about proper procedure. We just wanted to get out of the condescending and destructive environment that was ruining our child s experience. This year has been a complete turn around and we are glad to have a child who again looks forward to the experience. We suggest going above the immediate administration (director of education) when you have an issue.

Posted September 23, 2010

We have 6 kids. Our 2 youngest have had the UNFORTUNATE experience of going to this school. I can honestly say there is not much to love about this school. I am surprised at the positive ratings. I can only assume the 5 star raters have never experienced another elementary school. While there a handful of good teachers, the principal and vice-principal are more concerned with themselves and ratings than their students. Many of the teachers show little caring towards the students. I know of MULTIPLE (and I mean over 20 in 2 years) instances of extreme bullying that are barely addressed. My children have come home with injuries where I was failed to be notified. My son was left on the playground for over 15 minutes! My kids are A students and not troublemakers. I am transferring them out of the school this year, and will not come back.

Posted November 11, 2009

My children have both thrived at this school. The teachers really care. The staff is helpful. We moved from Plano to Providence 3 years ago and I was nervous about switching schools at that time but I have to say, it was the best thing I ever did for my kids. Even through these unstable economic times, I have been tempted to move into an apartment, however, I have not due to the fact that I would have to move my kids out of this school.

Posted October 30, 2009

This is my childs second year at this school.. We love the teachers and feel as though she is getting a wonderful education here! We have been thinking about moving and this is going to be the hardest part of all is removing our daughter from a great school such as providence elementary school!

Posted July 31, 2009

Providence Elementary HAS been rated EXEMPLARY for several years now (perhaps not in a row but that was not previously stated). I think it dropped a notch one year but it is back to Exemplary status for the current year (2008-09). I am a very involved parent and my findings are based on official school ratings.

Posted May 28, 2009

There is an inaccuracy in the previous review. The school has not been exemplary for several years in a row. Please refer to actual TAKS ratings, not neighborhood builders' signage!

Posted April 22, 2009

this school is one of the most amazing school I , and sertianly my child has ever seen.

Posted March 18, 2007

We are not pleased with this school. Our child has had great teachers, but the administration is seriously lacking in ethics, morals, and professionalism. Favoritism is a big issue. If you're not highly involved, you - and your child - tend to get the cold shoulder. Plus, the curriculum is highly centered around TAKS and seemingly nothing else. Security is also lacking. I - and my mother-in-law - have been in to pick up my child several times and not once have they asked for i.d.! We have such strong concerns - concerns that the Supertintendent refuses to address - that we are removing our child from the district completely and enrolling in a private school.

Posted August 14, 2006

We are 100% pleased with this school. We had a very kind/calm kindergarten teacher who did a wonderful job teaching our son. Parent involvement is very much encouraged. Extracurricular activities are in place with great staffing. All school employees were very helpful and friendly throughout the year. The schools facilities are very nice & clean. We look forward to this school year.

Posted March 28, 2006

I am quite impressed with this school. alot of activities that implement the parents to get involved in their childs education. Also I really enjoyed the 'dress up days'..Bad hair day, Cowboy day, Community Helper days...etc

Posted September 19, 2005

Last year was the first year the school opened. I was not at all happy with the teacher. This year has started much better, but I am approaching it with skeptical optimism. Right now the relationship is a bit adversarial.

Posted August 18, 2005

Great school, but I am a little concerned with the student to teacher ratio. My daughter's kindergarden class has 22 students to 1 teacher.

Posted July 27, 2005

New school with great facilities. However, we are not pleased with the schools administration.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

82 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

83 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

82 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

83 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

84 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

92 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

89 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

89 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students91%

Not special education98%
Proficient in English98%
Non-migrant98%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students91%

Proficient in English80%
Non-migrant80%
Non-Gifted76%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Exemplary".

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1000 Fm 2931