Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

You're always going to have some teachers that are more effective than others, so far my experience is 1 very effective teacher and 1 somewhat effective and 1 very ineffective

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework was adequate for the most part however I wish they had more student/school involved activities, such as science fairs, spelling bee's. Any type of event that would encourage and single out individual accomplishments.

Develops character: Disagree

My answer is based on my past experience at the school! My child's 1st grade year was a complete waste, the students in my child's classed suffered severely because their teacher was out of the classroom 1/2 the school year! She sporadically missed days throughout the year, which resulted in her classes missing out on a lot of valuable classroom time spent learning! Those students in that particular class were not provided with the same standard and experience as the rest of their peers! Honesty /integrity was failed in that the school should have dismissed this teacher if she could not commit to her students and was it fair for these students to enter second grade slightly behind their counterparts!

I am not a big fan of their grading system, they grade on the numeric basis ( 1, 2, 3's) I do not feel that this grading system truly reflect the status of what the kids are learning! Me as a parent can not gage a 1,2,3 when accessing my child report card. I know that 100-90 is an A and a 89 -80 is a B, I know the range and I can work with that, I know that if my child makes 75% on a test, that she needs a little help with that subject. However if you present me with a 2, I have no idea what to do with this number! What is a 2, is it a B, but what's the range of this B, is it an 89 or an 80! I feel that the 1,2,3's do not challenge the kids because they don't mean anything to the kids either, they have a vague idea as to what it means however a 100% or 95% on a test is concrete, something that they can transform into an accomplishment, something that they can work towards and strive for on the next exam! This is one of the major reasons why I am dissatisfied with my experience at this school. I know it's a district standard however my experience is only with the school and so far, I am not thrilled my overall experience.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Providence Elementary truly has the best teachers in the state of Texas! We are truly lucky for our children to have been educated by these educators!

All 3 of my children have attended Providence Elementary, and as a family, we could not be any happier at this school! This school has a loving and caring atmosphere and all of the teachers truly go above and beyond their job titles to make sure that every single student understands the curriculum. I would have rated Providence Elem. with a 10 star rating but the highest I could go was a 5 on this website. It is definitely a 10 in our family!!

Positives: Providence Elementary is a sweet, neighborhood school filled with many teachers who care about students. We came across this little town a couple years ago and have loved our time at the school. The PTA works tirelessly for the students. Our children have made some amazing friends and we treasure this little town. If we ever leave this area it will certainly be hard. Families here are a tight group and there is so much going on in this community. Negatives: As with any place, there are a few negatives. We have a few parents who insist on pulling the bully card and have made numerous accusations publicly. They themselves could be considered bullies. Our child had a brief problem with another student but he and the kid worked out their differences. Overall, we love this school and would not change much about it. My advice would be to get involved with PTA and be a presence at the school.

When my son was in second grade, there were two students in his class that continuously picked at him. One day on the playground he was grabbed by his neck and thrown to the ground. NONE of the teachers did anything about it even after other students confirmed what had happened. I went to the principle the next day. She told me since my child never reported any "bullying" issues before they wouldn't/couldn't consider it a bullying issue. They wouldn't even look into my complaint. So much for the "zero tolerance" policy. I took it upon myself to talk to the other parent. That took care of the situation for the most part. I am SO glad I do not have anymore children that will have to endure the administration of this school. All they care about is how they look on paper.

My child attended this school from k-5 and spent an enormous amount of time in the principal's office, on punishment, etc. He was singled out on numerous occassions and targeted as a "bad" child. He didn't learn to read until second grade at which time he jumped up 5 levels due to an excellent teacher dedicated to teaching reading one-on-one. There were 2 yrs in which he had excellent educators who were pleased with his intellect rather than distracted and annoyed by his ADHD. He was paired in his final yr there with a teacher who had never taught before. Basically they told me it was either get him on medication or they were sending him to alternative school. About to complete his first yr of middle school, we have not had ONE disciplinary issue or even a call from the school. His grades are still good but now he has friends, attends school events and is flourishing socially as well as academically. I would rate Providence Elementary NO stars due to the despicable attitude permeated from the staff at the students who do not fit their "ideal" image. If you are not familiar with our current public school system and the rights of your child, you are in over your head at this school.

The VP at this school had my child come into the office to complete work, day after day. It was supposedly not punishment and was she only missing her recess every day so she could have extra time to do work. I was notified by a secretarial person about this situation. The VP had a very ugly, inflexible attitude and she is very poor at communication. She showed no sign of caring about children or parents. She cares about rules. She gave my child a kind of sticker chart. When that sticker chart didn't work, her next solution was another sticker chart. Eventually, when the sticker charts weren't helping and the problems continued the disciplinary solution was to send our 2nd grader to the alternative school. We had to take her out and homeschool her. My child was having a special ed issue and was later diagnosed. She hasn't had any serious discipline issues since receiving accommodations and she was commended on her TAKS tests. Things have improved, but what I remember about having to interact with this VP was her lack of ability to establish rapport with my child or to explore any solutions other than the meager and ineffective one she had to offer.

Last modified Providence Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.