No rating

Trinity Episcopal School of AU

Private | K-8 | 476 students

Trinity is a independent day school in the Episcopal tradition.

Living in Austin

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $521,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,190.

Posted yesterday

I would encourage any parent of a prospective student to get the facts on things such as standardized test scores, not just the mean or median compared against all schools or private schools, but also the standard deviations to get a feel for how well students do at both ends of the distribution. My personal experience is that Trinity prepares its students well for standardized tests. For example, my daughter and many of her friends did well enough on the SAT (as 7th graders) to qualify for various Duke TIP programs. Again, this is one observation. On the issue of textbooks (or the lack thereof), I would not judge the quality of the education based on the use of a textbook. Many of my daughter's teachers create their own material and follow the approach of encouraging students to discover and problem solve the specific topics/issues being studied in class. For example, instead of relying on a textbook to teach geometry of circles (e.g., area, circumference, pi, etc..), our daughter's teacher assigned the students homework to "prove" (empirically) that pi=3.14...I doubt she would have had the same level of enthusiasm for pi, if she were simply told its value

Posted August 20, 2014

I attended Trinity since kindergarten and it was the best decision I have ever made. The curriculum can suit both advanced and struggling students. Every teacher cares for their students individually, on both an academic and personal level. Trinity offers an incredible environment and community to learn in.

Posted March 2, 2014

Awful--administrators are exceptionally pretentious. Don't know how to work with kids that don't fit the mold. Spend those dollars elsewhere--lower school administrator is particularly abrasive and obnoxious.

Posted February 22, 2014

Pretentious. Huge disappointment. Administrators are outright rude and dismissive. We felt this was an unhealthy environment and chose to leave. This is not a premium school where seats are coveted. We took our kids and money to a far superior school across town. I'm glad we didn't settle.

Posted November 11, 2013

I am a parent of a current 4th Grader at Trinity. Most of the recent negative posts are from a handful of parents who did not get their way last year. These parents wanted a traditional approach to education, read the text book, and recite back the information on the test. Trinity doesn t believe in this type of education; rightfully so because it doesn't result in students who can think for themselves. When Trinity refused to change its educational philosophy to please a small group of parents, these parents became anger, and did not re-enroll their children in 2013-14. It's nice to hear their kids are doing well in public school; it is interesting these parents don't see a connection between their child's Trinity education and their child s current public school success. Trinity teachers do not teach "the test", Math is not taught in traditional fashion, homework reinforces classroom learning, it doesn't do the teaching. Trinity educates individuals, resulting in students able to think for themselves, find more than one way to solve problems, work collaboratively with others and confidently alone. Trinity isn't perfect but for us it s a close as you can get!

Posted September 24, 2013

Before you jump into this school, ask who writes the curriculum and don't fall for the fancy answer you will probably get. Ask why there are no text books. We were told our child may have a learning disability when really it was not our child at all, but the fact that there is no curriculum that has been tested and known to work so our children are the guinea pigs. It is truly sad how much our child's self esteem was shattered. Our child felt stupid and now in Eanes has a 100 in every class except one and has a 91 in that class. The social situation is also terrible at Trinity. This school was so disappointing I can't even explain. They can get you in there with all the bells and whistles but ask why so many families left last year and many more are leaving this year. And the families that left, no one bothered to even ask why.

Posted September 13, 2013

Trinity is a special school! As a new family, we have felt so welcomed and supported in our transition. We chose Trinity for its outstanding reputation in delivering exemplary K-8 education. It is the right balance of academic rigor and nurturing communal supports where our children feel valued and encouraged. It has a well-integrated curriculum, with many opportunities for children to shine. The caring community of teachers and administrators genuinely care about each child and are accessible, professional and compassionate. Trinity is an authentic school community where every student can evolve in becoming their best selves. There is comfort in knowing each day is filled with inquiry, creative problem solving and varied opportunities. Every parent wants to give their children the best education possible Trinity fulfills this within a community of experienced and innovative faculty and staff. We look forward to many years of great possibilities on our Trinity journey.

Posted August 5, 2013

Trinity administrators are unnecessarily arrogant - a complete turnoff. Teachers are generally good, though we haven't been around long enough to fully ascertain. We heard there is high turnover among teaching staff. Facilities feel cramped. We pulled our child out in a hurry. Interestingly, when later taking the entrance exam at a competitive school across town, our child saw a few Trinity classmates taking that exam too. We suppose those families are aiming to leave as well. Apparently, there are plenty of us willing to give up the one-time facility fee to get out! Be careful what you wish for.

Posted August 4, 2013

Trinity is not at all what it looks like from the outside. There is very little substance behind the hype and promise of progressiveness. Homework is minimal and most kids need tutoring just to catch up with the basics. There is very little testing, (and the tests are not graded or returned for children to see) The report cards grade with only 1's, 2's or 3's through 4th grade and switch to letter grades in middle school. All subjects - except maybe art - emphasize a collaborative approach above independent work - kids are always in the halls - sitting around "talking". If you walk through the campus - 80% of the time you will see a chaotic mess of kids who are working (or not) on different tasks. The standardized test scores are substandard - which is not a surprise - seeing how many holes I have seen in my child's education. I would strongly encourage a close look at what this school really has to offer instead of what they say they offer. And also note the string of positive reviews that will undoubtedly follow this one - most likely from staff or parents who were asked to write by the staff - who are in a panic from the mass exit that just left the school last year.

Posted June 13, 2013

I am extremely grateful to work as a teacher in a school where learning is the priority. Even though Trinity students take standardized tests and generally perform very well in all subjects, the school's program is not based on test objectives. Teachers teach so that students form a complete picture of the ideas. Teachers are respected for their teaching and encouraged to continue their growth. The administration of the school invests heavily in professional development for its faculty. I have been able to learn from some of the most respected professionals in the field while teaching at Trinity. The vast majority of parents are also very supportive. They understand that Trinity is preparing its students for a competitive, global world. They also know this preparation means school has to be different than it was for them. Best of all, my students are always excited about learning and are never afraid of challenges.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 10, 2013

Now that my son has completed his first year of college, I am able to clearly see the importance of Trinity's emphasis on the development of many different skills. My son entered Trinity as a middle schooler. He came from a public school that had a good reputation, and more important, he fared well at the school. Arriving at Trinity, I immediately recognized the difference in what Trinity expected of my son compared to the school he left. Trinity required significantly more of its students. At Trinity, students are expected to take greater ownership of their learning and encouraged to stretch themselves to be organized, manage their time, advocate for themselves, learn how to learn, effectively address conflict with peers, and think about life and events beyond the realm of Trinity. My son learned to navigate his way through Trinity and an equally as rigorous high school program. He began his freshman year of high school one year ahead in math. He is now studying in a competitive liberal arts college and is doing well. It was sometimes uncomfortable for me to allow my son to struggle with developing the important skills. I had to believe in his capabilities and trust his teachers.

Posted April 6, 2013

From my work with students and faculty at Trinity, I have no doubt that Trinity has a very strong academic program. There are many reasons for this, but one very important reason that I have observed is Trinity's willingness to break from tradition and more narrow perspectives of teaching and learning in order to find more effective and meaningful approaches to educating children. It is apparent to me that teachers at Trinity take the time to evaluate what is taught, the purpose it is being taught, and how best to teach it. They study well-researched, innovative methods, and they appropriately and nearly seamlessly blend them into their practice. As a result, the academic program continually improves. Students are really expected to deeply internalize and apply whatever knowledge or ideas that they are taught. Trinity offers a kind of schooling that promotes a much higher level of learning than I have seen in other academic programs. Because of its innovative nature, families considering Trinity must be willing to embrace new ways of teaching and learning in order to help their children make the most of their Trinity experience.

Posted April 4, 2013

We moved our daughter to Trinity from public school and have been so happy with our decision. Our child is challenged and cared for every day. The other students immediately welcomed and accepted her into their mix and she has done the same each year when new students join her class. Faculty, parents, and students create a community that care for each other in a way I haven t seen in any other school. Now that she is in middle school, our child participates in the athletics program where she has been taught skills and sportsmanship and the fine arts department that allows each child to shine in their unique way. She loves Trinity and so do we!

Posted April 2, 2013

My child is about to graduate eighth grade at Trinity but we intend to remain a part of the Trinity community. My daughter is already talking about the times she plans to visit Trinity next year (special chapel services, to chat with students and teachers, to have lunch and to certainly watch the MS stage performances). It is has been a very special place for us and although I am sad that our time as student/parent is coming to close I am thankful for a wonderful 9 years. We have truly been blessed.

Posted April 2, 2013

My girls are finishing their first year at Trinity and we could not be happier with our choice. We were looking for a school that could provide an excellent education as well as a caring and nurturing environment. Trinity accomplishes both with ease. Diversity is important to this school and everyone is made to feel welcome from day one. I recommend this school without hesitation to any family.

Posted February 15, 2013

Trinity has sadly changed. In its desperate attempt to keep up with the other well-respected private school in Austin, Trinity has lost sight of what set it apart from the others originally. The loving teachers who knew each child well and cared for your child as if they were their own have been replaced by less experienced educators. The teachers no longer have the freedom to control their own curriculum, thus eliminating any impromptu investigative learning driven by student interest. Marketing wouldn't need to be Trinity's focus if the academic and social environment were as superior as they claim. The best advertisements are happy parents with smart, well-adjusted kids. Ask your local school counselor if Trinity's kids have to be remediated when they transition into the public school arena.

Posted February 14, 2013

Where did the review go that was posted earlier today? I was coming back to say that I could not agree more and now it is gone... hmmm.

Posted April 24, 2012

My kids have been at Trinity for the last 6 years. We have had an incredible experience end-to-end. The fact that the faculty and staff know all of the parents and children s names is amazing. This is just one small example of "Each Child, Each Day". There is an indescribable positive "feeling" you get when you come to the Trinity campus.

Posted February 9, 2012

Trinity is an exceptional school offering a unique program of outstanding academics and enriched community life. We have three children in the Lower School who receive personalized instruction in small groups tailored to their academic levels. The lead teacher / assistant staffing plus subject area specialists offer an attractive student / teacher ratio. The teachers and staff provide instruction with a supportive approach that encourages children to broaden their thinking while building their confidence. Through chapel, service learning and the diversity programs, students explore spirituality, ethics and moral responsibility all within a tolerant and inclusive environment. The Trinity community is committed to the school as evidenced by its recent opening of a new Middle School classroom building, cafeteria and music facilities, and the expected opening of the new chapel / performing arts center. Head of School, staff, and its Board practice prudent leadership and rigorous commitment to each child, each day. Trinity is a special place and truly a GREAT SCHOOL.

Posted January 30, 2012

Trinity s middle school program is AMAZING our child attended for grades 6-8. Trinity uses an interdisciplinary approach that prepares students for rigorous high school academics. Students are able to think critically, problem solve and collaborate. The middle school faculty really knows their students through their indepth advisory program and provides leadership opportunities for all. The chapel program reinforced our family values. The end result is that our child is confident, a risk-taker, a strong student and caring, compassionate person. We LOVE Trinity.

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Music teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Pat Adams
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • (512) 472-2337

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Apply now