No rating

The Khabele School

Private | PK-12 | 475 students

We are best known for innovation & strong community.

Living in Austin

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $337,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

School Official Point of View

Posted August 17, 2011

The Khabele School is a dream come true. We've created a place where students, parents, staff and administration really do live by our mission for the whole community to fall in love with learning and realize the innate talent and ability inside ourselves. The integrity with which we adhere to our overarching purpose creates impressive results: SAT scores 25% higher than average, 80% AP pass rates, and 100% of students applying to universities getting selected by 2 of their top 5 choices. We utilize a dynamic educational model that integrates the strengths of traditional and holistic education. For example, all classes utilize daily mindfulness practices. Innovative technology and software are integrated into the school's culture. Teachers use lectures, grades, and standardized tests, alongside Socratic seminars and student feedback to facilitate the highest level of learning in each class. There is considerable importance placed on learning through applying knowledge to projects and engaging the surrounding community. Every year we give students what I think is the best possible education they can receive, and yet every year we manage to top ourselves.

Posted March 22, 2012

As a Khabele staff member and also a parent of younger children on the Primavera campus, I look forward to the day that my own kids can experience Khabele's Middle and High School. The teachers are phenomenal, and are present and engaged with the students in a way that I rarely experienced in my own middle and high school years. I have been continually impressed and inspired by the students at the school--they are bright, innovative, and thoughtful, and they are learning to be critical thinkers and responsible humans.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 21, 2012

Gives the students the freedom to be their best selves. Awesome faculty. I wish I had gone here!

Posted March 21, 2012

I simply don't know what we would have done if we had not been able to enroll our older son at Khabele more than 7 years ago. An exceptionally self-directed learner, he has blossomed at this school and has been well-served. We moved our younger son to Khabele when we has in 5th grade because of the bullying he was experiencing at his exemplary-rated elementary school. At Khabele, he is accepted for who he is and has developed extraordinary relationships with some of his teachers. I truly appreciate the learning community that Khabele promotes.

Posted March 21, 2012

I'm a teacher at Khabele, and I must say that this is the best environment I've ever taught in. We are highly respected by the administration. We are so lucky to be working with these high caliber students. Khabele is a positive and supportive environment. I hear students and teachers bragging every day about what a great place Khabele is!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 19, 2012

As I watch tens of children withdraw from the Khabele School mid year, My own core need to withdraw my two children is confirmed. Their pie in the sky approach promising the following ....as I quote their website...." a model a lifelong love of learning Listen for the hopes, dreams, and commitments of our students Nurture compassion and love Hold students to extraordinary academic and social standards Honor students promises with support, reminders, and apology-free delivery of consequences" is complete and total bunk. Communication between parents and staff is like pulling teeth. My 13 year old daughter skipped school for half a day to attend ACL and had zero consequence even after a phone call from me requesting one. My son was sneaking Advil to school everday, crying daily, was bullied. After several meetings with staff feeding me empty assurances and concern, I pulled them both out. There is no follow through, way too many liberties, and I think they are looking at education through rose colored glasses. They need to toss the kumbaya out the window and get down to business or they will be out of business. I will say there are some fine teachers who will be missed.

Posted August 9, 2011

Check out the Khabele mission and you'll be inspired- "The mission of the Khabele School is to cultivate learning communities in which each and every student, parent, and staff member realizes their profound beauty, falls in love with learning, and lives with courage and authenticity." Khabele delivers - bright creative kids, kind and competent teachers, and interesting classes. Facts are: National SAT Composite Average: 1509, Khabele SAT Composite Average: 1878 and approx. 80% AP Pass rate, all that apply are accepted to 2 of their top 5 university choices. Whether or not you agree with the educational approach that includes progressive ideas like a 5 minute "centering" (non sectarian awareness practice) at the beginning of each class, or a laptop as a school supply requirement, its very effective!

Posted June 8, 2011

This School is an absolute disorganized mess. The academics are poor and the tuition vs results is absurd. Do not look into this school.

Posted May 26, 2010

Khabele has been a wonderful choice for our son. Not only has he learned to love physics, grown as an artist, taken college level courses as part of his school day, but he's so connected to his teachers and his community. He adores his teachers, wants to show up prepared for their classes and looks forward to an engaging dialogue. He's invested in the life of his school and feels his ideas matter. Could you find more rigorous academics at other schools? Perhaps. But we've been there and done that. For us, Khabele strikes the proper balance between challenging academics and a balanced life as a young adult, son, student, artist, athlete, friend, leader. We love being part of a school that keeps evolving. A vibrant school that tries new things, keeps the best of the past and continues to grow & learn alongside our inquisitive creative child.

Posted May 9, 2010

We are grateful that Khabele offers a culture that is very difficult to find in a public school environment. I have two children. While one has flourished in public schools, the other needed an environment where he could express his unique self. We found that at Khabele where every child is encouraged to learn and to be themselves. There is no bullying allowed. THANK YOU KHABELE!

Posted May 5, 2010

Khabele is a school that has encourage my child to think on his own, to not be afraid to learn, to be willing to share his ideas and help make them reality. The school has helped my child in those areas where he is not as strong and is teaching him to fly in those subjects where my child sometimes even challenges the teachers with what he knows. They teach love of learning, love of service, and love of being one community. After public school was a total failure, we have found the best place to educate our child.

Posted May 5, 2010

It's hard to explain Khabele, but here goes...This downtown Austin school has developed in a few short years a culture of personal responsibility and high academic standards. While they have found a sweet spot in the way of curricula (heavy on projects and light on tests and daily busy work), they encourage feedback from parents about ways to improve -- and they take the advice. The teachers are young, enthusiastic and innovative in their styles of teaching. Each is different, and each is academically strong. The culture is outstanding. The kids are kind to each other (personal responsibility) and my son and I have had some very intense philosophical questions about learning, God, and more -- I directly attribute that to the kids and teachers at Khabele. I love how the kids hug each other all the time and vocal diversity in opinion is the norm.

Posted April 22, 2010

As I sign my child up for summer school for remedial work in a course that she got an A in at Khabele, I am compelled to warn parents that the school does not meet the standards of the real world. Even though the school's culture tells you not to be too engaged in your child's schoolwork, to let your child own his education, check in. See exactly what they're learning. If you have questions, keep asking them, no matter how many times they tell you to 'be the change...' You may find yourself as the parent of a gifted student who has not been challenged and is forced to spend summers learning what you paid your 11 grand for. Especially in classes that build from previous years' learning like Math and Foreign Language. Be sure that they are getting a foundation..

Posted February 24, 2010

Each day I am grateful for the existence of the Khabele School. As a homeschooling family, spanning 25 years, and four children, we wanted a different high school experience for our last child. The local school district our older children attended no longer felt like an acceptable choice. Our son had a deep love of learning and we did not want him to lose that. Finding the Khabele School was like finding a school we would create a place where each child is safe, happy, respected, respectful, intellectually and spiritually stimulated, free to be himself, and challenged to grow. I have great respect and love for the administrators and teachers. Their openness and honesty is inspiring and deeply appreciated. We've been a 'Khabele family' for 3 years and look forward to our son's senior year.

Posted February 21, 2010

After watching our child slog through public and private schools through seventh grade, we feel like this school has given him wings. The kids are friendly and there's real camaraderie; it took our child only a week to make friends. The teachers we've dealt with are all terrific and have great report with the students. There's a lot of freedom so I suppose there are ways to go wrong: students need to be self-starters or have good back-up at home in order to stay organized and keep up academically. The most unique aspect of the school is the emphasis on character. We feel like our child is in good hands with good people.

Posted February 19, 2010

Khabele School has been a large part of my son's blossoming over the past few years. He went from a self-conscious shy kid to a well spoken confident young man. He enjoys school now and has the respect of his teachers and fellow students. The administration is committed to the education and development of each and every student. My only criticism is that I believe the school should have a stricter dress code. Some of the students' apparel is distracting and sometimes very immodest. Overall the staff is the most caring and concerned I have ever encountered in a school.

Posted February 18, 2010

We couldn't be more pleased with Khabele! The school combines nurturing and mentoring that creates an environment to develop self and embrace learning and community. The school and the teachers help the student develop who they are and the students are committed to accepting each other as they are. The academics are strong and our daughter has become inspired to want to learn. Classroom participation is required but the environment brings it out naturally. Khabele is no public school warehouse or rigid private school experience. Our daughter will graduate next year and Khabele has helped her be in position to make a positive difference and contribution.

Posted February 18, 2010

Khabele School helps the student develop self-discipline and respect for others. The school is unique in that students and teachers often sit together at lunch, and communicate on deeper levels. I have found my son, now a junior, to have grown in maturity and love of learning in many areas. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a quality, meaningful education.

Posted February 16, 2010

Khabele School offers a great selection of AP classes as well as dual credit high school/college courses. It is a warm nurturing environment that encourages students to try new things and grow. The music program is top notch. It is a lovely campus in an upscale area of downtown Austin. The kids love it! The teachers also seem to enjoy their jobs and the parents feel comfortable and welcome. I highly recommend it.

Posted February 16, 2010

My kids have been in both the middle and high school at Khabele and they have both had experiences in public school pre and post Khabele. I found the curriculum at Khabele to be light years ahead from a college prep perspective, much more focused on how to learn, especially how to write, synthesize information. Its testing is also more aligned with how college tests are organized and less about 'how to TAKS'. So while it's true there will be a testing learning curve for TAKS, there won't be for college. I don't agree with comments about Khabele being successful for the 'troubled' kids comments. My child is one of the 'middle of the road' academics and she's been very well served. Again, its college prep. If you're interested in learning and being your best, Khabele works for a range of learning styles, strengths and capabilities.

Posted February 16, 2010

The school distinguishes itself by truly being unique; it is clearly not a public school experience nor is it the standard private school. It offers a distinct approach in both its teaching and its support of students. Khabele doesn't just prepare kids for more schooling, it aims at preparing them to be fulfilled and contributing human beings.

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College prep programs/courses during the year
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • National Honor Society

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Khotso Khabele
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Honors track
  • Independent Study
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Montessori

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service
  • Literary magazine
  • National Honor Society
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council