PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The Khabele School, founded in 2001, is an independent day school serving more than 500 students and their families from 18 months old through 12th grade across three campuses in Austin, Texas. Khabele is Austin s only Montessori and International Baccalaureate school. Across the entire school, we purposely nurture a culture and learning environment founded in authenticity, character development, conflict resolution, and mindfulness. Our vision is to cultivate learning communities in which each and every student, parent, and staff member falls in love with learning, realizes their profound beauty, and lives with courage and authenticity. Our mission is to provide an effective, transformational, and community-oriented educational experience for children ages 18 months through high school.
November 11, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This is our fourth year sending our children to Khabele. I have such a deep love and respect for this school and its educators. I have seen it transform both of my children, they truly thrive here. They have been educated from a young age in not only math, reading, geography, art and music - but in peace education and conflict resolution. This school gives children the tools to express themselves and their needs in a way many adults have never learned. I have loved watching the children grow here. The guides at Khabele have a profound respect for children, and it shines in all they do. My children love going to school every day. Our entire family benefits from this learning community - it's a beautiful place.

The academics so far in 9th grade have been disappointing. My son is often bored in class. They don't do labs in Biology and he has learned very little. The teachers seems to want them to love science but doesn't teach real science with labs, etc and assumed that none of them need to learn anatomy for some reason. The English class moves at a very slow pace as well. We aren't looking for tons of homework and a cutthroat competitive environment but it's kind of silly to spend all this time and money on this. I really don't get why more rigor would ruin kids love of learning that Khabele wants to foster so much. Having an honors option means missing out on lunch time, and that's tough on a teenager. My son thinks the low standards just make kids lazy, which kind of makes sense. The Spanish, math and Core programs are good. Small class sizes and nice students and teachers.

The primary program appears to be in disarray, with 1/2 the staff and the Director leaving their posts at the end of the 2014-2015 school year. We found the school weak in standards, extremely weak in conflict resolution, and quite poor in communication between parents and teachers/admin. We've chosen to remove our children from this school.

My daughter is in her second year at the Middle School at Khabele, and it's been a fantastic experience for our whole family. She's always been a good student, but she was bored and unhappy with the institutional, one-size-fits-all education in her large, public elementary. She is flourishing at Khabele and loves school for the first time ever. She calls it her second home. Teachers and students have warm, sincere relationships, and teachers are allowed room to be creative and to change things up based on their students' needs. Also, the feeling of community among students, teachers, staff, and parents is phenomenal. Students are appreciated for their uniqueness and are nurtured, both academically and emotionally. Khabele really does deliver the total package of academic strength combined with focus on the social and emotional needs of middle and high school students. I am thankful that we discovered The Khabele School.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted November 11, 2014

Khabele's staffs are great and friendly. They always listen to their students' opinion in class and attempt to improve the classes every year.

real learning academy.it has its ups and downs not bad but not extremely good. I dont feel as though my child the best here but it is better than his district school.

The Kkabele School is what education should be; the amazing and talented teachers ignite the fires of curiosity. Students are given the opportunity to explore and dig deep in an environment that is safe, rich, open and fully supported. Resulting in an education that creates a desire to learn for learnings sake. We took a giant leap of faith and moved to Austin so that our daughter could attend Khabele and it has proved to be one of the best decisions that we have ever made.

We have been at Khabele for two years and love it. Our son is a musician and I cannot imagine another school where is passion would be better cultivated.

My kids have been going to Khabele for 2 years and the teachers and community are awesome. Khabele is a non-profit secular, Montessori based preschool and elementary. I think some of the most valuable things taught to my kids are emotional intelligence and principles of peaceful living.

Last modified The Khabele School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12