Gorzycki Middle School 4

Posted May 10, 2014
My son is finishing 7th grade at Gorzycki. We have been extremely pleased with the school overall. Communication between teachers and parents is very well done. Communication between the school and parents is also well done. The band program is extraordinary. The band teachers teach with dedication and excellence, while genuinely caring for the students.

Posted March 17, 2014
Huge disappointment. The average class size is 27 students. Teaching strategies consist of "warm-ups" (teach yourself), worksheet packets and electronic worksheets such as Achieve 3000 and Think Through Math. Class periods are brief (42 minutes), and a lot of work is sent home for parents to go over with their children. On a positive note, the campus appears clean and safe.

Posted December 08, 2013
We struggled with whether to send our child to a magnet or the local junior high. In the end, we chose the latter and are so thankful we did! Gorzycki is truly a great school with an amazing Fine Arts program, accelerated math classes, and challenging pre-AP core classes. My only complaint is that classes are short and class sizes are large, but that is an inherent problem with Texas public schools and the only way to make classes longer is to cut other programs which I personally am not in favor of. In my opinion, curriculum should extend to the home and it s up to the parents to enforce homework and enrich it by exposing their children to other education experiences through books, travels and even games. As for Gorzycki, you couldn t ask for a better school or find teachers who care more. It is a safe place for children to make their transition from elementary to high school and gain confidence as they do so. I will also add that the principal and counselors are very accessible via email or a phone call.

Gorzycki Middle School 2

Posted November 15, 2013
Gorzycki Middle school - very disappointing. We moved to the area and our daughter had to attend this school. The politics amongst the parents makes you the parent feel like you yourself are back in middle school. A group of us parents can't get over this. And this is supposed to be a better school?? The other school we went to was much, much better, again VERY disappointing.

Posted September 30, 2013
I am a student who loves to learn, i enjoy reading writing and science most. While i was here the teachers treated me poorly because i have a 504 for reduced distraction environments. The students bullied me and even though i told an adult no one cared. I think the staff are very rude to me too, a teacher at lunch took my spot while i went in the lunch line and when i came back i had to sit near a mean group of girls and the teacher did NOT care whatsoever. My math teacher in 6th grade did not have any motivation to help me in this subject at all (i struggle in math) i went to tutoring and no one helped me even when i asked. Though i was happy Duke university looked at me and i was chosen to take the SAT the teachers,peers, and staff were very unsupportive. In PE i cannot participate due to an injury and i get teased a lot for that. I talked to my coach, assistant principal, and counselor and all denied me help.I think if you are uptight and amazing at everything, have a good social life, and don't like help this is a good school for you. I feel very strongly about this. Please take this into consideration while choosing schools, best regards,a student who cares about your leaning.

Posted July 28, 2013
my school is cowan elemantary school it is a great school with activites to have fun and learn ! we have plays in almost every grade ! in 5th grade we go on a 3 day 2 night field trip to mckinny roughs. we go to the alamo in fourth grade . we go to sea world in second grade! our teachers are great. they make sure the children are having fun and doing their work.this is a great school!

Gorzycki Middle School 3

Posted July 20, 2013
I attended Gorzycki for 6 and 7th grades. I think out of all middle schools in Austin, or at least South Austin, Gorzycki is one of the best. The teachers are very nice and the homework load isn't too bad. My all time favorite teacher in this school is Mr. Sindt, he teaches 7 or 8th grade math, AP and regular. He is so funny and makes the whole class laugh. The projects that he gave us were really cool and fun! That goes for all the teachers, though. Over all its a very good school, but some of the students can be a little snooty and mean, but that may have just been my experience. I didn't notice a huge problem with bullying or bullying at all and my friends and I never had a problem with anyone. The only reason I didn't come back for 8th grade is because Gorzycki just wasn't a good fit for me, if i was a different person then i would be over joyed to come back to school.

Posted March 06, 2013
I have had children attending Gorzycki (GMS) since it opened, and have nothing but positive things to say about the teachers and the staff. My children have been challenged thru Pre-AP classes, and teachers are available for before and after school tutoring when needed. They are prompt to return calls or emails. The counselors are also readily available. When had an issue our 2nd year with a child being bullied - the principal and AP stepped in immediately and took care of the situation. Standardized test scores are some of the very top in the district!!

Posted September 19, 2012
I would NOT recommend this school. My son came to Gorzycki as a straight A student missing only 1 TAKS question in the fifth grade. After 1 year at the school he was demotivated. As a parent I considered moving him but decided he needed to learn to deal with all kinds of people. We just started seventh grade and are having similar problems. Teachers who give poor grades because the student did not do exactly what they wanted. Identical work product turned in as a group assignement; one student got a 50 the other got a 100. Honor students making a 40 on a Science quiz. The previous year my son turned in an assignment that was 9 out of 12 grades for the six weeks but the only information he received back was the grade, no comments or how he could have done better. What are we teaching with a grade and no feedback? Horrible experience, I'm shopping for private school.

Posted September 11, 2012
BEST SCHOOL EVER!!!! i love EVERY teacher and I'm getting so smart! Thank you so much Gorzycki!!!

Gorzycki Middle School
7412 West Slaughter Lane, Austin, TX  78749
Last modified Gorzycki Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gorzycki Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top