Blazier Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 970 students

Posted May 14, 2014

I can only speak on behalf of Ms. Carnine and Ms. Hollander. This was our first year in the school with my son Michael. The level of professionalism-self awareness of student achievement was EXCELLENT. I have 3 other children and only wish that would have teachers with such compassion and driven motivation to ensure every child succeeds. These 2 teachers go way beyond normal duties to meet and exceed parent expectations.

Posted February 25, 2013

I unfortunately fell into the "New School (must be good)" trap. We unfortunately suffered some of the same things I have been reading. The teachers were not very kind to communication with me or some other parents I know. We definitely noticed preference given to those who are Hispanic. After visiting the TEA web site, I see that the school is 77% and 10% white which makes sense why we are treated so badly. I am so glad we moved into a better school district. MY daughter is treated much better, and her skills are progressing much quicker.

Posted August 17, 2012

Blazier is a great school! The principal is amazing as she keeps great communication with her students, teachers and parents. The teachers I have had the pleasure of working with have been pleasant and attentive to the children. My son is going into the 3rd grade and loves his school. I think parent involvement is evolving rapidly. They offer many evenings that parents can participate with their children in fun and learning. I have been very pleased with Blazier Elementary.

Posted February 28, 2012

My son is in the 5th grade at Blazier and he has been here since they first opened. The school is amazing. The teachers are so inspiring and really care about the kids. The kids at Blazier are well mannered and everyone seems to know everyone else. I cannot say enough great things about the choir teacher. She is exceptional!

Posted March 3, 2011

My family also had a terrible experience at this school. My daughter attended for only half a year, and we broke our lease to move. Her teacher was not sending home handouts or homework. After meeting with her and the vice principal, we started to see some improvement but still were getting homework maybe once a week. My daughter's performance was actually digressing. There was kissing on the playground that was dismissed as CUTE! I truly am outraged by the experience. We were so proud to be sending our daughter to a "Texas" school yet we were more disappointed than any other school she ever attended. Where is the regulation ? And, yes, the school caters to the hispanic population. I was treated rudely by the staff which is mostly hispanic. I am all for diversity but there is not much at this school. It caters to low income families which is also the root of many of the problems. Once we moved to another school district, our experience has been like night and day. I am still in shock by the standards of my daughter's new school. Parents don't lower your expectations or let anyone tell you that you are over reacting...there are good schools out there!

Posted March 1, 2011

My son went to this school for one LONG year, and we were very disapointed! I think I still have a headache from the experience! I have to admit that my son had a very good teacher, but she was the only one that greeted you with a smile, everyone else was very rude, and don't even think about going to the principal with a concern because she couldn't care less! Her lack of people skills is evident! First I was ignored, then I was told I was over reacting and finally one day she just told me that if I didn't like the school to move my child to a diferent school! Which is exactly what I did!

Posted April 29, 2010

I have been with this school since they opened doors and had really high hopes! However over the past three years it has just gone down hill. So much o that we have decided to move to another school district at the end of the year! This school's main focus is spanish speaking students and parents. Oh and lets not forget about testing. It seems like all they do is test or practice for testing. Most of the staff is rude and very unhelpful unless you speak spanish. Which we do not. And the parking is just ridiculous. Sorry to be so hard on this school but I really was hoping this school would be great!

Posted April 28, 2010

My son loves his school. It is only his first year there and he has adapted well. His teacher has been strict (consistent), but he needs that consistency in his routine and he has thrived in her classroom. He doesn't come home with perfect behaviour but then he is not perfect. I also wonder why Blazier has such a low rating when they were recognized last year.

Posted April 27, 2010

I wonder why Blazier Elementary School is rated 3 out 10 when the school was RECOGNIZED last year based on TAKS scores. Since it was only our 2nd year I would think that we deserve a higher score than 3 out of 10

Posted June 7, 2009

The year started out great. My daughter loved the school. Then came a new behavior grading system. At least three times a week, my daughter was rated very low on behavior. I was extremely surprised as she's normally well behaved. I also had a request for a parent teacher conference go ignored! I would have ranked the school a 1, but I decided a 2 was better. All the other aspects of the school are fair in my mind. But the teacher my daughter had just could not retain control of her class. My daughter got dismal marks for behavior in her class, but great marks for behavior in Music, Art, and PE. That should speak volumes. I'm sure the other teachers there aren't as bad as the one she had.

Posted May 20, 2009

I have to say that Blazier is growing and with that it is extremely important that more parents become involved with their childs education. Parents need to be informed and this year which is the second year I have seen a wealth of information being sent home to parents. Unfortunantly there is very little response from parents to many of the workshops and presentations being offered at Blazier. Next year promises to be better and I understand that the Parent Specialist will be deligently working with the community to bring resources and information for our Blazier families.

Posted January 29, 2009

My six-year-old, Ethan, began kindergarten at Blazier Fall '08. Previous to Blazier, Ethan was at a Montessori Program for four years. Ethan has transitioned well in his new school environment. He likes making new friends, is flourishing in reading and writing (thanks to his amazing teacher, Ms. Sifuentes), and absolutley loves that he can ride the bus home once per week (started second semester). As a parent, I like that Blazier is extremley clean and well kept. I like that Ethan goes to PE, Music, Art, and Library each week and that he's being exposed to broader base of friends. I've come to learn and understand that your child's education is what a parent makes of it. I am very proud to have Ethan in public education in my neighborhood.

Posted October 17, 2008

I have two kids with this school and so far kids love it. They always have good feedback everytime they arrive from school. I agree from the previous parents comment that this school has a very good potential, its just lack of parents cooperation. We cannot always blame it to school or staff for our kids outcome...remember, 'PARENTS ARE THEIR FIRST TEACHERS'...it would be very nice if we parents are always involve to our kids future...

Posted October 3, 2008

I have just read the one star reviews from some parents and want to clarify that when recess is taken away from an entire class, that is because the entire class was not behaving at lunch - not just a few students. At Blazier, we have the WOW program which requires 20min of outside/play time on the days when students do not have physical education as their special area to ensure that students are getting some physical activity each day. This is our second year, and the first year we have had a Parent Specialist to help us expand parental participation. We, too, hope that more parents will be involved. As a new school we completed our first year as acceptable - only a few short of being recognized. Our principal has over 20 years experience as an educator, administrator and consultant.

Posted September 18, 2008

My experience has been very positive with teachers, the principal and all the personal in the school. My child loves the school. The school needs more parent participation but Blazier is a great school with great potential, I recommend this school.

Posted September 18, 2008

Our family also moved out of this school district because we found the school to be unacceptable. Parents were not made welcome at the school, extracurricular activites were barely offered and the practice of denying recess to the whole class because of the behavior of a few was ridiculous. Being a new school is no excuse, especially with experienced teachers and principal.

Posted August 15, 2008

I am very upset with the 'lack of' seasoned leadership at this school. Additionally, the principal was un-responsive to phone calls and e-mails. There is a complete disconnect in communications with teachers and parents through-out this school. I'm very glad I've been able to move away and get into another school district. I'll be more careful next time I buy a house in an area that has a new and un-rated school. Those of you still involved with this school, should require immediate improvement before your children's education and development are effected.

Posted August 5, 2008

I was so disapointed with this school. My child would come home so upset because her class had their whole recess taken away from them. They would have to sit with their heads down on their tables the whole recess time because a few of the students were being loud in the cafeteria at lunch. This happened as much as three times a week. I don't think they should use recess as a discipline. The students deserve to get some fresh air and unstructured play. There are other problems I have with this school but not enough room to complain about them all.

Posted August 5, 2008

I was very happy to see my child get every morning at 6:00am to get ready for school. Her teacher always kept me up dated on anything that happened at school.My child cant wait to go back to school to learn and see her friends .Give em a break it was their first year.Good luck next year.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

79 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

78 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

75 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

74 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

69 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

94 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

102 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

102 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students92%

Limited English proficient (LEP)73%
Proficient in English89%
Non-migrant88%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

Non-migrant77%
Non-Gifted77%
Bilingual74%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

• LETICIA PENA
Fax number
  • (512) 841-8801

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8601 Nuckols Crossing Road