Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 04, 2016
I love my daughter's kindergarten teacher. Ms Tara is incredibly kind and patient with all her children. Watching her run her class you can tell that she knows each child's strengths and weaknesses and she knows how to bring out the best of each of them. My daughter loves writing now when at the beginning of the year she would cry because she didn't know how to spell and she just wanted to be able to write well. Ms. Tara has helped my daughter create friendships and have patience with children that learned at a different pace than she did. We love our school and our teacher very much.

Posted April 11, 2016
My two children attend Austin Discovery School, one started in Kindergarten. We love this school, which focuses on growing whole, happy & well-rounded children. The focus on social emotional learning, project based learning and creating goals for your child is fantastic. I love the Music, Ecowellness & Art programs. The teachers shine at ADS - they are allowed to teach and do this with smiling faces. Children are happy because they've been heard, cared for and taught in a manner that encompasses different learning styles & strategies. We love the emphasis on gardening, outdoors, hikes, traditions & the very involved community.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted April 11, 2016
Thank you to Leigh Moss, the fantastic headmaster of the school. Thank you to Kelly McRee, the behavioral counselor who loves & cares for each student. Thank you to the fantastic teachers like Mr. Wilson (music), Ms. Thora (Ecowellness), the grade level teachers who are incredible and to all the dedicated staff (Deborah!)

Austin Discovery School 4

Posted February 03, 2016
I was a student here from kinder to 3rd grade, when i withdrew and went to a different school. When I went there, the school was not academically focused. We had lots of time outside, but not a lot of time used to learn. I remember that we never had any homework at all. We were just given worksheet after worksheet that we did not know how to do. However, i do understand that the school has grown, and is doing really well. Overall, it was a great place for me to learn to like school.

Posted November 07, 2015
When we started here, I had no idea what to expect, and we chose the school because of the small cohorts. My daughter has 12 kids in her class, and 31 in her group. They do specials as a group- and everything else is with her 12. So, even though the school has many students, the feeling is very familial. My daughter has anxiety, and so looking for schools-we didnt want a place that had the pressure of say, St. Francis. But here is where I am really amazed. Our teachers are gentle, but firm, and they are getting an excellent education. Reading, Social Studies, Math, Art, Eco, PE, Science. My daughter has been there 3 months, and she can read anything, explains rural and urban concepts, knows all about germination- has grown and harvested her own raddishes, and understands music has a language. She feels happy and safe, she is learning, her anxiety isn't manifesting. What a cool place, and as hippie as it may seem- the academics are there too.

Posted November 07, 2015
This school has been amazing for my son! He had picked up so many bad behaviors at his old school and since starting here I have seen most of them clear away. The teachers here work with the kids and coach them through social issues. My son is finally learning how to play with other kids instead of just bossing them around. Before he started school he loved reading. His old school took the joy out of it and he started to say he hated reading. Now he loves it again and loves telling me about what they're reading in class. I could give a million examples of the changes I've seen in my son since he started school here. It's really been an amazing place for him.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted October 04, 2015
Thank you Leigh Moss for doing an outstanding job. The school continues to be successful and can't wait to see what the new year and new campus brings.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted October 04, 2015
It depends on the teacher, but I feel so far, the expectation is just right.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted October 04, 2015
Social emotional wellness is a core tenet at the school. They expect teachers to focus on these qualities on a daily basis

Posted October 04, 2015
My son started kinder last year when the "new" principal was beginning his second year. Soon after the first day of school, he resigned and was replaced with the principal we have now. She is a founder of the school and very quickly got things back on the right track, and is 100% invested in the school's mission. The beginning of this year has been light years different from the turmoil created by the former principal. There is good energy and a productive positive feeling in the school. That said, I'd like to comment in general, that I think ADS is a very special and unique school. It is a charter and thus relies heavily on family support and volunteerism. I consider this a plus. I have been involved in public schools for thirteen years and have never felt such a strong and tight knit community. The emphasis on social emotional wellness, environmental awareness (including an eco wellness elective, gardening and hiking), and project based learning is unique to ADS. Perhaps it's not what we are all used to growing up, so at times, it seems a bit messy and unpredictable, but it is truly beautiful, outside of the box thinking and teaching, and the charter's mission surely is aiming at the right target in terms of human development. At times, I find myself needing to practice patience when things don't run like rigid clockwork, or at times communication to parents is inconsistent. But I remind myself that because I trust the intention and mission to be more aligned with my own hopes for my child's emotional and intellectual growth, I'm okay with some of the gaps I see. The teachers are committed and professional and creative and encouraged/expected to be self starters and are given the freedom to teach in a way that speaks to their own heart, all while adhering to TEKS (state standards). It may not serve every family's needs (as no one school can), but it is serving ours beautifully & I am consistently grateful for having found it.

8509 Farm to Market 969, Austin, TX  78724
Last modified Austin Discovery School is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.