Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

We moved to Avery Ranch in August of 2015 and I am beyond happy that we've made the decision to send our kiddos to Rutledge. My son has formed friendships with boys who are polite, supportive, and fun! He is so much happier here than the school we came from, which is saying a lot since he had plenty of close friends there as well. The teachers are exceptional. My first grader loves her teacher, Ms. Alanis, so much, that she writes her notes all the time, telling her how much she loves her. Ms. Mahlstadt is everything I was hoping my 4th grader would have as a teacher. She's professional, is creative with her lessons, and my son just adores her!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have seen great growth from my son with both his kindergarten and first grade teachers.

Amount of homework: Agree

My son is in 1st grade and has daily reading and a weekly reading assignment, plus a math assignment a few times a week. Overall, this amount seems just right for a 6-7 year old.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Rutledge uses the Leader In Me program and that focuses on developing these qualities in the students.

My oldest child attends Rutledge Elementary and I strongly feel that this school should be rated a 10 and not a 7. Most of the internet sites rating schools focus solely on test scores. Rutledge is so much more than a number on a test. Rutledge uses the Leader In Me program that utilizes the 7 Habits of Happy Kids, which teaches students to be productive members of society. My son is learning strong academic skills, but he is also learning strong life skills such as how to be proactive, how to problem solve, and how to work well with others. In a time when more and more high school kids are graduating high school woefully ill prepared for college and life, I am very grateful that my son is learning strong academics, but also incredibly important qualities to help him succeed in life. Academics are extremely important, but that can only get a child so far. I am very pleased that Rutledge is our neighborhood school.

The staff is very responsive and open to communication with parents. They have been on top of learning needs with my child and proactive in finding solutions as soon as a concern arises. The use of the Leader in Me curriculum adds to an environment of acceptance and respect among students and staff. Academics are stressed, while incorporating art, music, physical activity, and creative learning styles into the mix. We have been VERY happy with our Rutledge experience.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They have a strong leadership/ethics program called Leader-In-Me, which is based on Stephen Covey's "7 Habits of Highly Effective People"

When my elder kiddo went to Rutledge, the rating was 9 or so, With my younger kiddo, I see the ratings dropping, and now (Sep 2015), I see the rating is 7. Couple of things I can think of : 1. The principal who left end of last year, may not have been that academically focused. He was good in fund raising etc. The new principal seems more academically focused, so we should see better ratings soon. 2. Rutledge was an early adopter in Stephen Covey's Leader-In-Me program, and kids may have spent lot of time on that. I am impressed when my young one uses principles like"First Things First" or "Think Win-Win" during real life situations. So, I am not saying we should cut back on the Leader-In-Me; what I am saying is that the academic rating that is shown on Greatschools may not tell the whole story, and may be the Leader-In-Me kids will be better citizens/leaders of tomorrow than those 9 and 10 rated school's kids who didn't spend this much time on leadership programs.

As a parent and teacher, we have always loved our time at Rutledge. The teachers, parents and principal are all very involved and provide a great environment for the kids to thrive. Leander ISD does not create a crazy competitive environment that causes children to hate school and burnout, instead its a right balance of fun and education

Rutledge is a great school and we've had our kids here for almost 4 years. The staff and students are great and make for an enriching environment. Its really sad to see Rutledge rated as a 7 in Great Schools, mainly because the ratings are derived from the STAAR tests and if you have a bunch of kids that are bad test takers, it really drops the rating of the school. Its really unfortunate that a school of this quality has to be measured by a single test.

Last modified Rutledge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.