Austin, TX

Posted May 17, 2012
Phenomenal school! Great supportive staff and teachers fully committed to each child's personal success. Friendly, relaxed atmosphere with strong academics. The children are encouraged to be themselves. Kids are given ownership of the school by being part of policy decision making. Children are exposed to a variety of arts/creative media. Griffin helps children flourish and reach their full potential. I cannot imagine my son any place else. I am looking forward to his senior year. The fall and spring art shows blow me away!

Posted October 03, 2009
Small classes, very supportive teachers, wonderful school culture, excellent learning.

Posted September 26, 2009
Our son spent his last two years at Griffin and thrived! The teachers provide individual attention and the atmosphere promotes the love of learning, individual and community responsibility, and mutual respect. Our son is thriving now in college as well!

Posted February 24, 2009
Our daughter is our second child to go through this incredible program that's not only unique, but outstanding in academic and personal growth. She has attended the full four years here and mostly is exactly who she was when she was younger-curious, playful, undaunted, and encouraged. This is what makes this school so unique. Unlike most schools, by the time your child gets through their typical school, they are someone you don't know anymore. This school nutures your true self, often who you were at an early age before society conforms and changes you into a clone to capitalism, etc. 'It's the best place to be yourself' in high school. Now if we could get the public schools to adopt their approach from k-12! We are about to enter our third child to the program. It's private, but they offer financial aid and it's worth it.

Posted February 09, 2009
My son is very bright, creative, and was alienated at our local public high school where the emphasis is on sports and grades. At Griffin, he was respected and liked for who he is, not who he might be if he were utterly transformed. The teachers knew what he was doing and not doing, and they expected him to do his best and helped him when he wasn't. The essay he wrote for his college application had to do with his discovery of math when he started Griffin and began working with the wonderful math teacher there. Griffin is a place that actually likes and celebrates the energy and imaginaton of adolescents, while providing reasonable boundaries. I'd recommend it highly.

Posted February 08, 2009
Our daughter is another transplant from a one-track private school into the rich academic and artistic loam of The Griffin School. She's happy and engaged again. I think immediately of words and phrases such as; thrive, flourish, grow in your own skin and joyful creativity. If you've watched your kid wilting at school, take a look at this place. It's small and under most radars, but I have never heard anything but praise and respect from parents and those who otherwise come into contact with Griffin students.

Posted February 05, 2009
My daughter went to Griffin for all four years. She is a quiet girl and found the large public high school intimidating and wasn't learning. She ended up graduating top of her class at Griffin and got an academic scholarship to Beloit College. She participated in many more school committees and activities than she would have been able to at public school

Posted February 04, 2009
Griffin School was voted the 'Best Place to be yourself at school' by the Austin Chronicle. It is really true. The students and teachers value authenticity, community, creativity and hard work.

Posted January 13, 2009
The Griffin School teachers, philosophy, and environment have brought out the best in our son. I'll never be able to say thank you loud enough or as many times as they deserve to hear. Due to space limitations, all I can say is that you owe it to your teen to check it out.

Posted January 09, 2009
Something changed when my daughter was a freshman in public high school. Her love of learning disappeared; she struggled with subjects that she was previous good at; her personality changed from carefree to constantly anxious; and her grades dropped. What I learned from her is that she needed to be engaged in personal dialogue with her teachers. She needed to know that she made a difference in her academic community. And, she wanted to be accepted as an individual, free to express her out-of-the-box personality without fear of being ostracized. These things she has found at The Griffin School. As a result, she is academically thriving, and she has become a responsible, accountable adult. Griffin has nurtured my child, prepared her for college and the real world, and taught her that she has precious gifts to share with the world. The Griffin School is simply the best high school in Austin.

5001 Evans Ave., Austin, TX  78751