Posted July 30, 2014
My kids have been students at GVH for the last four years. There experience has been nothing short of fantastic! They both love that it is a smaller elementary campus and I love that they hold firm to a small class size. For example, last year my third grader only had 18 students in her class. The teachers are held to high standards, and I have witnessed that those who are not capable of reaching those standards don't return the following year. One of my two kids has a more challanging learning style. The teachers at GVH are accustomed to working with kids of alll learning styles and my child has thrived without any special education resources. Classrooms are based on learning methods that are engaging for young kids and the bonus is GVH is the only IB Elementary school in LISD. You won't find kids bogged down with worksheets or rote learning at GVH! The new principal, Jennifer Farley, is engaging and appropriately addresses campus issues. She has taken the time to come in and get to know the GVH families and is dedicated to a fun and enriching environment. As a former teacher, I could not be more pleased with the preparation my kids are getting from GVH!

Posted February 11, 2014
My children are in the 3rd grade and Kindergarten. During our 4 years there, I've been thrilled with Grandview Hills Elementary School. It was icing on the cake it being an IB school. The staff and teachers are absolutely excellent. They teach to the individual and both my children have been encouraged to achieve to the best of their own abilities. The older one is in the Quest program and the Quest teacher is absolutely wonderful and inspires and is inspired by the children. The school also has an excellent Pace program. The PTA is very strong and there are many parents intimately involved with helping with meeting the children's needs. The after-school YMCA program is strong, too. The wonderful former principal left last year, but her replacement has picked up where she left off and is doing great. The school is not yet at full capacity which means small classes, too! I highly recommend Grandview. Go Eagles!

Grandview Hills Elementary School 2

Posted December 15, 2013
After a great beginning in kindergarten, due to a wonderful and engaged teacher, my granddaughter is experiencing a terrible year in first grade. She is a bright and creative child, who began with a love of school and learning, but we have long suspected she fell somewhere on the autism scale. In the interest of keeping her educational experience positive, my daughter made her new teacher and principal aware of the struggles her daughter was experiencing. After finally receiving a diagnosis of high functioning autism, my daughter met with the school in an attempt to find out any resources that could be made available to this child. The staff, including teacher,, guidance counselor and principal indicated that their opinion was that this child was a disciplinary problem and presented a united front of nonreceptive and nonnegotiable indifference. Needless to say, her parents are locating outside resources and working on finding a school more sympathetic to this child's needs and willing to actively seek solutions instead of being more concerned with protecting their reputations.

Posted April 22, 2013
If you want your kid to be in a military style environment, this is the place you'll want them to be. My child was bullied and harassed here not just by other students but by the teachers as well and it was done in front of their peers. The peers would then harass even more out on the playground. My child was an A honor roll student before going here, and began failing within two weeks. She cried almost every single day. The others harassed her so bad she couldn't even get her work done at school. When I reported this, it fell on deaf ears and I got a whole lot of lip service. I was surprised to learn, after mine transferred, that many parents did the same thing, got their kids out of there because of the lack of guidance, nurturance, encouragement and caring environment. I spoke with other parents that encountered their children failing as well from sudden self esteem issues. Mostly 5th grade classes. Going here was a very traumatic experience for mine. Also teachers were not keen on me being involved in the classroom, it's like they wanted to keep parents out of the school during the school day.

Posted November 16, 2012
I am not happy with this school at all. The teachers that I have met should not be teaching at all, and the resources available at the school are lacking. They are working to catch up with the STAAR standards, which they should have taught all along, but now they are playing catch up and the students are suffering because of the vast change in curriculum from the previous years. We moved to this district because the school was rated exemplary - it is not a surprise to me that the rating dropped - I do not see much hope with the current teachers and administration, of that rating being upgraded in the near future.

Posted August 28, 2012
My daughter has attended this school for the past two years and we have been happy with it overall. We like the fact that the school focuses on all round development vs academics alone. Parent involvement is great and Principal Cruz is a great leader. Couldn't have asked for more.

Posted July 06, 2012
We love Grandview Hills and are happy to send four of our children there! The teachers and staff are very caring, kind and provide a safe place to learn. There are many great parent volunteers and the PTA is outstanding. With such small class sizes our children are able to get more one on one attention. We are thrilled to be a part of such a great environment.

Posted May 10, 2012
All of my kids go to this school. We don't like it very much. Our kids have attended private schools and public schools in the northeast. The curriculum is horrible. The Quest and Pace programs are a joke. The notion that IB is setting these kids up for success is comical. These programs do not challenge the kids. Homework consists of writing five words in alphabetical order or writing them three times. Ridiculous. Teachers listen to beer drinking songs in class with the kids (my son has come home singing them). The parent population is over active. The kids spend A LOT of time trying to raise money for the PTA which is like a high school clique. We should spend more time on academics and less time on fundraising. It seems that once the STAAR is taken, teaching at GVHE stops. During the school year, I several times went into the school to pick up my kids only to find my daughter out in the hallway lined up 30 minutes before school lets out. Add that up and see how much classroom time is being given up during the school year. Teachers and administrators are nice, but at its core this school is a typical example of a Texas public school. Lean on substance, but everything looks good.

Posted June 23, 2011
We have had a fantastic experience at Grandview over the past three years. It is a small campus with responsive administration, dedicated teachers and a very positive and uplifting environment for young children (I believe thanks, in large part, to the IB program). During our first year on campus, we pushed to increase challenges for our child and the campus responded immediately and to our satisfaction (Quest program, Pace Math, advanced reading opportunities, etc). There is no where else we'd rather have our child learning and growing!

Posted March 04, 2011
While this school may be rated grated for teachers and academics I have been so disappointed in their involvment. My daughter broke her leg at the school and not once did I get a call to see if she was well, she was able to make it back the same week in a cast and the staff made no attempt to help or accomodate her. If you are fine with academics and no personal care, great. But as far as I am concerned if your child gets hurt under their care watch out!

Grandview Hills Elementary School
12024 Vista Parke Drive, Austin, TX  78726
Last modified Grandview Hills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grandview Hills Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top