ACE Academy

Private | PK-12 | 140 students

We serve the intellectual, social, and emotional needs of gifted learners.

Living in Austin

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $287,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Sweep tile

Posted May 14, 2010

Our daughter is having lots of fun and enjoying the change of pace from traditional schooling.

Posted March 9, 2010

Disorganized, Disorganized, Disorganized! The main reason we chose ACE was hoping it would provide a better education and environment for our gifted child. But we became more disappointed. Administration and co founders have troubles in communication skills, customer satisfaction, one of the co founders focusing on the punishment by ignoring the parents if she does not like one of them it s very clear that she has lack of behaviors. So they settled for less to expend school to the size they wished for do not know what it is doing and tends to get defensive. *Disorganized, chaotic*. Not worth the money at all!! Many teachers are parents without much of teaching experiences. School functions are not organized. Not a nice learning environment for gifted. Need a new administration and principles but since that would be impossible here. We hope another well educated co founder s start opening a new gifted and talented school in austin based on high quality and mission statement.

Posted February 4, 2010

We are new to ACE this year and in the pre-K class. My daughter loves school, loves her teachers, loves getting up in the morning to go to school and loves all her friends in class. We are very happy and feel it is the perfect fit for our daughter. We were looking for a place that was very nurturing & where the student/teacher ratio was low. I'm unclear what the other reviewers are referring to regarding the communications issues. I experience the opposite. The head of the school sends out weekly emails. It is a very personal type vibe at the school with an open door policy to speak to administrators anytime. My only negative is about the holiday schedule. ACE observes AISD scheduling and also observes Jewish and Christian holidays so with all that there are many days off of school.

Posted January 21, 2010

We were happy with ACE before the current school year, but things have unfortunately been going downhill lately. The problems with communication and organization, which have always been there but could be overlooked as growing pains, have gotten worse instead of better, and the situation has been exacerbated by issues with teachers we hadn't had before. Very different experience this year compared with last.

Posted December 19, 2009

My child is a middle school student and I'm so happy with the great group of peers. Really nice kids and excellent teachers that are teaching leadership among the students.

Posted October 27, 2009

My child attended ACE for 3 yrs. Overall, my experience with ACE was positive. We left ACE mainly because my child became pretty much the lone student at her academic level. The teachers were very willing to accommodate, but we realized that there might be limitations. ACE is a growing school and they had started earlier so my child would not have landed in this situation.

Posted August 31, 2009

I'm surprised by some of the negative reviews here. What school wouldn't have growing pains with this kind of growth? I see organizational improvements with clear goals in place. Our child was new last year and I can't even begin to describe the positive changes he has gone through thanks to ACE. Our child went from disliking school (recess was previously his favorite 'class') to not being able to decide if science, language arts, robotics or chess were his favorite. His confidence in his own abilities have sky-rocketed and his little personality is slowly emerging. Friends, relatives, neighbors have ALL noticed a big difference. Having had another child at a major private school in Dallas as well as one of Austin's top rated school districts, I am amazed at what ACE has accomplished in such a short amount of time. Tuition is on par with other private schools.

Posted July 20, 2009

This school was an absolute lifesaver after a horrid experience at a private school. It is wonderful to have a child go a school where it is okay to be smart.

Posted June 21, 2009

After a really awful semester at the local public elementary school, my child thrived at ACE. The teachers and administrators went out of their way to accommodate my child's needs, and they provided me with important feedback about my child's academic and social progress. My child still remembers ACE fondly, especially the way the teachers used interesting and challenging projects to teach fundamental concepts. My child was never bored at ACE. If it weren't for the fact that we live fairly far away and find the tuition costs prohibitive, my child would still be there. (Fortunately, my child is now thriving at a different public school, but no school can match the richness of the curriculum and variety of experiences offered at ACE.)

Posted May 27, 2009

My child is in one of the higher grade levels and just is not being challenged. We have no textbooks, only read 2 books all year (grade level historical fiction), and made it only about a third of the way through the math curriculum. At the middle and high school levels, a school has to prove it can provide at least a comparable curriculum to public schools if it hopes to prepare kids for college. I think Ace should focus doing younger grades exceptionally well and not all grades with mediocrity.

Posted May 24, 2009

My son attended ACE this year and loved it. His peers were bright, sensitive, funny and well-mannered. His teacher diversified for all of the children and was truly committed to the learning of each and every child. The school encourages creativity and individual interests. My son was shy and withdrawn at his last school, due to a strict teacher who valued conformity over individual achievement. He is now confident and loves learning. ACE is still about the success of the students.

Posted May 22, 2009

Our son developed tummy aches at his prior school; he was so unhappy. At the end of the year evaluation they proudly showed me how he could count to a 100. They had no idea that he could add/subtract/divide/multiply etc to a 100 as well. ACE is young and has some growing pains but we have found the school very receptive (eg they made it a nut free school since some of the children were allergic). We just really like everyone at ACE as well - the parents are great, teachers are young but committed and caring (and most importantly, they understand the concept of gifted). RE: organization; they are working on it. But where else could your preschooler have met an Olympic gold medalist, gone to the opera, and hear a private concert from Tuvan throat singers? Beyond all, we're grateful for a place where our son thrives.

Posted May 20, 2009

As a teacher at ACE Academy, I have been in a position to see the administration in action, solving problems, planning curriculum, creating programs, and adapting to our students' needs. The staff continues to grow and thrive. We are a happy diverse, engaged group of teachers, aides and administrators. I hope that any parent of a gifted child will look into this wonderful resource.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 13, 2009

This school is still evolving but while our daughter has been there this year, we have seen so many positive changes. The amount of feedback from the school I have heard complaints about has improved and is now great. I have never felt this semester that I do not know what is going on at the school. I think they are getting their systems in place and doing a great job. Our daughter for the first time LOVES school! She has been to 2 others and always gave us excuses why she didn't want to go. Now she is upset when it is the weekend. She is so excited everyday and feels challenged daily. The topics she comes home with and wants to discuss are amazing. Her peer group is such a good mix and she truly feels every student is her friend. Awesome school!

Posted April 14, 2009

Behavior in the older classrooms is rowdy and unruly and the quieter kids often get entirely drowned out.

Posted April 7, 2009

I have 2 children here now and we have been very happy. I think all the negative comments come from parents who can find negativity about anything. The school is growing and expanding and the administration truly cares for the development of a great school. They can't please the whims of every parent and I think the low reviews come from people who didn't get their way. I am glad the administration is willing to stand up for the standard they have set. This school was a blessing for our older child who would not be happy if we had to send her back to our public school. Both are eager and happy to be at school and enjoy learning instead of drilling.

Posted March 16, 2009

If you have a child who is actually gifted or profundly gifted, ACE is the only game in town. The other schools we have tried (both highly touted public schools, magnet schools, and other more expensive private schools) talk a good game but they are all normed to the middle of the bell curve and my kid got bored in a day, completely turned off in a week, and complained every afternoon when she got home. At ACE she stays involved and interested all day and is happy when she gets home. I think I know some of the other parents who have written the bad reviews. They define 'unresponsive' as 'the adminstration had its own ideas about what was best and failed to do what I told them immediately', and consider a whole class of kids excited competing to answer questions as a discipline problem.

Posted September 8, 2008

Our son just started his 3rd year at Ace and, while the school is certainly not perfect, we consider ourselves lucky that a school like Ace exists in Austin. If you have a gifted child, especially HG/PG, and are looking for a school that will understand your child, Ace is the place. No doubt, there are growing pains and administrative 'challenges', but when the alternative is a school that doesn't really understand what your child needs and requires constant battles/advocating on your part to obtain a sub-par education, Ace truly is a dream come true. The co-founders, parents of grown-up gifted kids themselves, created the school because they know what it is like to have a child whose needs are not met by the various public/private schools that exist. Ace provides an opportunity for gifted children to move at an advanced pace and to actually learn something new everyday.

Posted August 10, 2008

I too had an awful experience at this school with my child. The administrators definitely are not receptive to feedback. Their hiring of subpar teachers and grouping kids based on age (from chess to language arts) and not ability was so frustrating! Two other frustations I had - the behavior of the kids and the lack of effective discipline. I heard so many aministrative excuses but never saw effective changes anywhere. Finally, the administrators kept bringing in more kids with special needs - no problem if they are not disruptive but the kids kept getting more dysfunctional. Some of the kids (and teachers!) should have been asked to leave. You need to visit the school several days before you make a decision.

Posted June 14, 2008

The main reason we chose ACE was hoping it would provide a better education and environment for our gifted child. But after 2 years, we became more disappointed every year. ACE is close to where we live, it's convenient, but we wish there was a better school for gifted out there, or if any parents know about, please let us know. Grouping kids with their math levels doesn't justify each child's needs. Science was not very creative, no lab, no experiments. ACE emphasized too much on one particular subject, such as math, and totally lost ground on educating a wholechild. I am not sure how these kids will turn out after ACE. - Not a happy parent.

Asian 5% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Dutch
French
German
Italian
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • No Place For Hate (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Music
  • Performing arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:15
School end time
  • 3:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 a.m.
  • Donna Hulsey
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (512) 532-6188

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • Core knowledge

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Auditorium
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Destination Imagination
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language club: Mandarin Chinese, Hebrew, Arab
  • Literary magazine
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Quiz Bowl
  • Robotics club
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom