Austin, TX

Posted February 05, 2015
LASA is a nerd school, plain and simple. It is very academically challenging and has wonderful staff that are willing to any students who need help and go above and beyond normal curriculum. Then, for the fun stuff. LASA has an almost endless number of clubs from ZAST (zombie apocalypse survival training) to D&D club to dysfunctional homes club to reptile club to math club... There are social groups for anyone and you won't find of more excepting community of students. The staff are also amazing. You have to give to a teacher if they agree to host a game of zombie tag, during school. The guidance counselors are also wonderful from medical issues and 504's to planning for college. I simply cannot recommend this school high enough, the only catch is getting in, which can be difficult...

Posted January 25, 2015
LASA could not be any better. Parents say that the school is "putting too much pressure on my kids" or "they stay up till 4 in the morning doing homework". Something like that could happen if you don't stay on top of your hw and procrastinate beyond belief. Are there big projects? Sure! But they are assigned way before the due date and the teachers are always there if you have any questions. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment. Almost all of the students are extremely passionate about learning and it's one of the few places where no matter what, you can always fit in. There is little to know bullying and everyone that teaches/attends at the school wants to see you succeed. The one thing that you need is organization skills. A planner basically saved my life. I love LASA!

Posted November 23, 2014
We feel so fortunate that our children are able to attend LASA. There is a lot of homework and the classes are taught at a very high level, but isn't it wonderful to have a school where being smart is cool? This is the only Texas public school I have seen in which being on the football team or being a cheerleader or a drill team member is not such a big deal. The popular kids are the ones who work hard and are nice. I can't imagine sending my kids anyplace else.

Posted November 17, 2014
My son is a smart kid, but he's by no means a genius. He loves LASA, respects and even loves his teachers, has a healthy attitude about academic one-upmanship, and is getting a great education. I feel the homework burden is not overwhelming, and the extracurriculars are plentiful but the students are not forced to participate if they're not interested. Is he in the top 5% of his class, destined for a free ride at an Ivy League school? No. Are there students there who are under intense pressure from their families to excel? Absolutely. He missed a great deal of school recently because of an extended illness, and the teachers and counselor, along with his fellow students, have been very supportive in assisting him getting caught up. He's feeling confident and his grades have not suffered. He's a junior, and I was concerned that, with all the AP classes, he would be in trouble after the absence. If your child does not manage a heavy workload well, gets stressed in a competitive atmosphere or tends to compare himself or herself with others regularly, LASA might not be a great choice. There are students there with extremely high academic talents and drive, and that can be intimidating.

Posted April 07, 2014
The LASA magnet HIgh School program has been a great experience for us - all around. The teachers are dedicated and care about their classes. The material they learn is amazing. My son loves his classes, teachers and friends at school. I think it is a good fit for academically minded students who like to learn and study. It is a tough school, they teach and learn at a high level. So, it is not for everyone. Good amount of homework. It is an amazing option for kids who love to learn and challenge themselves. Great preparation for college, for sure. We are lucky to have this public high school magnet option in Austin.

Lasa High School 3

Posted March 28, 2014
10 out of 10--can't beat that, right? Not so fast. The 10 is based on test scores--but at what cost do the students at this school get these test scores? Although I'm sure the teachers are better than many at the regular public schools, their programs are not progressive and my son complains that the memorize-regurgitate nature of it is killing his curiosity and love of learning. They have inculcated in him the idea that getting in to a good college (which can apparently only be achieved by staying at LASA and maintaining a high GPA)---is the only thing that matters in life and if he doesn't do this, he will be living under a bridge. Meanwhile, it is intensely high pressure to the point that students stay up half the night completing assignments. Something like an unexpected, extended illness can transform this situation into a catastrophe overnight. I'm sorry, but even healthy kids need to sleep. I'm all for academic rigor and my kid is outrageously bright, but time with friends is important at this age too. My faith in this school is shaken and I really wanted him to go here, but I'm just not sure we can stay. I really want my son to have a more balanced education.

Posted March 22, 2014
This is a truly amazing school. I've visited a lot of high schools, and although I may be slightly biased, I'm still just as impressed as I was the day I first walked it. The teachers and staff do a great job of treating you like adults and human beings rather than just another job, and they all care about and love what they do. Academically, it's top tier -- class sizes are a bit large in some cases, but with Austin's quickly expanding population LASA's struggling to keep up with the influx of smart children. Tons of APs. Great extracurriculars. Great culture. I love it.

Posted September 10, 2013
Most of the complaints that I have heard from students through the years is that this school is too hard. However, it is challenging for a reason. It is a college prep school, and the challenging environment shows both through the hallways as well as with the test scores. The different classes that we take are very helpful and benefit the students in the long run, no matter how tedious the work is sometimes. The only little criticism is that the student senate should get more involved like it has been in the past to make sure that the students voices are being heard in the different rules that are being enforced.

Lasa High School 2

Posted September 08, 2013
This school has gone downhill. When my son went just three years ago, the focus was on academics challenging classes with a strong bent on independent thinking. My younger daughter is now there, and the school is starting a visible descent into chaos. There are still great teachers and some good classes, but every time I am on campus, there are kids just wandering around doing nothing. The school's population went from 800 to about 1,000 (this is an application-only school) which means that it's no longer as selective as it was. Scores have gone down in high school rankings. The principal seems a little "flighty" compared to the previous one. I hope this can return to the great school it once was.

Lasa High School 4

Posted February 10, 2013
I am a senior who has really enjoyed the academics, friends and unique experiences offered at LASA. However the previous review about challenges involving college admissions is true. If you work hard you will get into the college of your dreams from LASA, and be incredibly well prepared for it. However scholarships become a lot more challenging to obtain when you are not in the top 50% or if you do reach a certain cut off GPA. Thankfully school is instate, so financial aid is not so critical for me. However if your kid has dreams of a $60k/year school, you may have a more difficult time affording college. On a more positive note, I feel incredibly well prepared for college, scored very well on the SAT & ACT, and have had some incredibly driven, memorable, and all out amazing teachers who I will not forget anytime soon. The student body of LASA is incredibly forgiving, loving and intelligent. The most eccentric kids are still respected, a miracle compared to the cliquish environment at a lot of other high schools.

Lasa High School
7309 Lazy Creek Drive, Austin, TX  78724
Last modified Lasa High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lasa High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top