Bad
Good

Amazing school. It is absolutely a lie that you have to stay up till midnight working on homework. If you apply yourself in school and focus on your homework you will get everything done in no time and still have time for extracurriculars and friends. The classes are amazing and once you get through the basic courses you can explore Quantum Mechanics in Modern Physics or prepare for a pre-med degree in Anatomy and Pathophysiology. Naturally some classes lend themselves to memorization such as Biology or Geography but if you really hate memorization then just avoid biology and geography electives like to hear plague.

LASA is a nerd school, plain and simple. It is very academically challenging and has wonderful staff that are willing to any students who need help and go above and beyond normal curriculum. Then, for the fun stuff. LASA has an almost endless number of clubs from ZAST (zombie apocalypse survival training) to D&D club to dysfunctional homes club to reptile club to math club... There are social groups for anyone and you won't find of more excepting community of students. The staff are also amazing. You have to give to a teacher if they agree to host a game of zombie tag, during school. The guidance counselors are also wonderful from medical issues and 504's to planning for college. I simply cannot recommend this school high enough, the only catch is getting in, which can be difficult...

LASA could not be any better. Parents say that the school is "putting too much pressure on my kids" or "they stay up till 4 in the morning doing homework". Something like that could happen if you don't stay on top of your hw and procrastinate beyond belief. Are there big projects? Sure! But they are assigned way before the due date and the teachers are always there if you have any questions. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment. Almost all of the students are extremely passionate about learning and it's one of the few places where no matter what, you can always fit in. There is little to know bullying and everyone that teaches/attends at the school wants to see you succeed. The one thing that you need is organization skills. A planner basically saved my life. I love LASA!

We feel so fortunate that our children are able to attend LASA. There is a lot of homework and the classes are taught at a very high level, but isn't it wonderful to have a school where being smart is cool? This is the only Texas public school I have seen in which being on the football team or being a cheerleader or a drill team member is not such a big deal. The popular kids are the ones who work hard and are nice. I can't imagine sending my kids anyplace else.

My son is a smart kid, but he's by no means a genius. He loves LASA, respects and even loves his teachers, has a healthy attitude about academic one-upmanship, and is getting a great education. I feel the homework burden is not overwhelming, and the extracurriculars are plentiful but the students are not forced to participate if they're not interested. Is he in the top 5% of his class, destined for a free ride at an Ivy League school? No. Are there students there who are under intense pressure from their families to excel? Absolutely. He missed a great deal of school recently because of an extended illness, and the teachers and counselor, along with his fellow students, have been very supportive in assisting him getting caught up. He's feeling confident and his grades have not suffered. He's a junior, and I was concerned that, with all the AP classes, he would be in trouble after the absence. If your child does not manage a heavy workload well, gets stressed in a competitive atmosphere or tends to compare himself or herself with others regularly, LASA might not be a great choice. There are students there with extremely high academic talents and drive, and that can be intimidating.

The LASA magnet HIgh School program has been a great experience for us - all around. The teachers are dedicated and care about their classes. The material they learn is amazing. My son loves his classes, teachers and friends at school. I think it is a good fit for academically minded students who like to learn and study. It is a tough school, they teach and learn at a high level. So, it is not for everyone. Good amount of homework. It is an amazing option for kids who love to learn and challenge themselves. Great preparation for college, for sure. We are lucky to have this public high school magnet option in Austin.

10 out of 10--can't beat that, right? Not so fast. The 10 is based on test scores--but at what cost do the students at this school get these test scores? Although I'm sure the teachers are better than many at the regular public schools, their programs are not progressive and my son complains that the memorize-regurgitate nature of it is killing his curiosity and love of learning. They have inculcated in him the idea that getting in to a good college (which can apparently only be achieved by staying at LASA and maintaining a high GPA)---is the only thing that matters in life and if he doesn't do this, he will be living under a bridge. Meanwhile, it is intensely high pressure to the point that students stay up half the night completing assignments. Something like an unexpected, extended illness can transform this situation into a catastrophe overnight. I'm sorry, but even healthy kids need to sleep. I'm all for academic rigor and my kid is outrageously bright, but time with friends is important at this age too. My faith in this school is shaken and I really wanted him to go here, but I'm just not sure we can stay. I really want my son to have a more balanced education.

This is a truly amazing school. I've visited a lot of high schools, and although I may be slightly biased, I'm still just as impressed as I was the day I first walked it. The teachers and staff do a great job of treating you like adults and human beings rather than just another job, and they all care about and love what they do. Academically, it's top tier -- class sizes are a bit large in some cases, but with Austin's quickly expanding population LASA's struggling to keep up with the influx of smart children. Tons of APs. Great extracurriculars. Great culture. I love it.

Most of the complaints that I have heard from students through the years is that this school is too hard. However, it is challenging for a reason. It is a college prep school, and the challenging environment shows both through the hallways as well as with the test scores. The different classes that we take are very helpful and benefit the students in the long run, no matter how tedious the work is sometimes. The only little criticism is that the student senate should get more involved like it has been in the past to make sure that the students voices are being heard in the different rules that are being enforced.

This school has gone downhill. When my son went just three years ago, the focus was on academics challenging classes with a strong bent on independent thinking. My younger daughter is now there, and the school is starting a visible descent into chaos. There are still great teachers and some good classes, but every time I am on campus, there are kids just wandering around doing nothing. The school's population went from 800 to about 1,000 (this is an application-only school) which means that it's no longer as selective as it was. Scores have gone down in high school rankings. The principal seems a little "flighty" compared to the previous one. I hope this can return to the great school it once was.

Last modified Lasa High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.