K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (3 responses)

Grateful to: Parent

Posted May 24, 2016
The Beta teachers are amazing! I would like to thank them for making my son feel confident, both academically and socially. The projects this year were interesting and fun, and we as parents always felt informed about what was happening in the classroom. Thank you for caring so much, working so hard and always putting the kids' interests first!

Posted May 24, 2016
We are finishing our third year at AHB. My children truly love going to school. We have a small community led by wonderful teachers and involved parents. I love that my kids get to experience learning in a fun way - by completing projects, interacting with their peers and exploring their surroundings. The teachers incorporate art and music into their lessons, but still have high academic standards (without testing and the pressure of grades).

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 24, 2016
We are truly amazed by the teachers at each level! They are calm, organized, and bring out the best in their kids.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 24, 2016
The Alpha class has had a set of class agreements posted on the wall all year, which was "signed" (with a hand print) by all the students and the two teachers. It advocates respect, fairness, and appreciation. The kids – who are only 5-7 – gently remind each other when one of them "forgets" one or more of their rules!

Posted May 24, 2016
We are astounded by the progress our son has made during his first year in Alpha. His teachers, Ms. Kim and Ms. Eliza, are absolute treasures. They are not only helping the kids learn to be academically proficient and creative, but also wise enough to know how much social guidance to provide as they grow into confident, yet respectful and empathetic people. We are glad that this is the "normal" that our little guy spends his day experiencing, just like the environment we try to create in our home. We feel so lucky to have found AHB, and plan to continue for many years to come.

Posted May 24, 2016
The teachers are top-notch and the school's methodology is exactly what we have been looking for. We value the whole-child education experience, and the creative, project-based curriculum.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 23, 2016
The Alpha and Beta teachers have been wonderful guides for my children this year. I can't thank them enough.

Posted May 23, 2016
This school has been amazing for my 7 and 8 year olds. They have flourished scholastically an grown emotionally. They have not had one single day where they were not ecstatic to go to school. My son wants playdates with his teachers, if that's any indication! I can not say enough great things about AHB, their staff, their community, and their methods.

Posted May 12, 2014
My daughter is finishing her first year here and I could write a book about how happy we are. I am not a board member padding the reviews. Even if I was, the board is all parents with the exceptions of the exec director and a teacher rep. It is her first year at a formal school of any kind and she is reading at a second grade level (she is 6), never has said she doesn't wAnt to go to school and even gets upset at having to take a sick day. Loving and devoted teachers, parents and staff, stimulating classrooms, family friendly schedule, community spirit. Love it.

Posted July 19, 2013
Our children have flourished at AHB. I don't know what we like best--that our children love going to school everyday, the 9:1 student-teacher ratio, the 2 full-time teachers per classroom, the teachers' ability to challenge our children (who are above grade level), or the extra time we get to enjoy our children and direct their education. The reasonable tuition doesn't hurt either. For those unfamiliar with the school, AHB is a secular school/homeschool hybrid. The school week runs 3 to 4 days a week depending on age, and teachers send home the materials needed for home study weekly. The school is academically strong--reading and writing are emphasized, science is incorporated from kinder onward, and the math program keeps my children excited about numbers (and working above grade level). There was an executive director change-up at the school this year which upset some parents; however, a new ED is now in place. FWIW, our family is not on the parent-run board.

4001 Speedway Ave, Austin, TX  78751