Posted May 12, 2014
My daughter is finishing her first year here and I could write a book about how happy we are. I am not a board member padding the reviews. Even if I was, the board is all parents with the exceptions of the exec director and a teacher rep. It is her first year at a formal school of any kind and she is reading at a second grade level (she is 6), never has said she doesn't wAnt to go to school and even gets upset at having to take a sick day. Loving and devoted teachers, parents and staff, stimulating classrooms, family friendly schedule, community spirit. Love it.

Posted July 19, 2013
Our children have flourished at AHB. I don't know what we like best--that our children love going to school everyday, the 9:1 student-teacher ratio, the 2 full-time teachers per classroom, the teachers' ability to challenge our children (who are above grade level), or the extra time we get to enjoy our children and direct their education. The reasonable tuition doesn't hurt either. For those unfamiliar with the school, AHB is a secular school/homeschool hybrid. The school week runs 3 to 4 days a week depending on age, and teachers send home the materials needed for home study weekly. The school is academically strong--reading and writing are emphasized, science is incorporated from kinder onward, and the math program keeps my children excited about numbers (and working above grade level). There was an executive director change-up at the school this year which upset some parents; however, a new ED is now in place. FWIW, our family is not on the parent-run board.

AHB Community School 1

Posted July 01, 2013
I find it amusing, yet not surprising that the board members of this school are writing reviews to pad the results on this site. I have been at this school for several years now and have never seen such an incompetent group of leaders (speaking to the board). My children have loved this school and the classroom experiences they have had. However, the only thing alternative is the schedule. There are some wonderful aspects academically, the disappointing thing is that they continue to use CORE standards for mathematics. Those familiar with public school standards will be familiar with this. On the bright side, a new Director brings some hope. But, unfortunately with the current leadership it may be an impossible job to get this school performing at its full potential. It is such a shame that a few bad apples can spoil the bunch. I caution people looking at this school, at least for the next few years, until they have done enough damage control to get things back on track.

Posted May 08, 2013
If you are looking for an inspiring academic environment, filled with project-based, collaborative, meaningful instruction, AHB Community School is where you will find your academic home. For almost TEN years now, AHB has proven itself to be a leader in alternative education. The core of this school, the true heart and soul, is the incredible teaching staff, the people who bring it all to life and inspire my children to LOVE math, reading, writing, and everything else. This amazing foundation - the staff - is supplemented by an incredibly high level of VOLUNTARY parent involvement. Parents are driven to be so active and to participate at such a high level because they are contributing to something greater. AHB Community School is truly and example of the sum being greater than the parts - collectively, we create a lovely, meaningful, collaborative educational experience that has changed the lives of my own children, and many others who join them. I couldn't be happier to have the perfect school right at my fingertips!

Posted May 08, 2013
I love AHB. Both my kids have been there since starting at age 5. I love the small class size, the low teacher-student ratio, the flexible curriculum, the deep level of parent volunteer involvement and the amazing community events. My kids love their teachers (and so do I) and the work they are doing and have developed a loving network of classmates. I would recommend that anyone interested in these traits in a school go on a parent tour to learn more about this very special, unique school.

AHB Community School 1

Posted April 26, 2013
I am a parent at this school and am very disappointed in the school leadership as shown by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director was recently let go/resigned (open issue) with a few months left in the school year. A Board of Director member has taken her place while a new ED is found; however she has no educational degrees or experience. The loss of the ED who has been working for a few years to transform the school is substantial and reflects poorly on the operation of the school. There teachers are fine (for the most part) however they need a strong ED in place to ensure delivery of what is promised by the school. I fear that without the ED the quality of education will slip. Also, parental involvement is a must here and you will spend substantial amounts of time assisting the teacher; almost to the point of doing parts of the job that teachers should. However, about 50% of the parents are not really involved thus limiting the community aspect that is needed for the school to succeed and putting additional stress on parents already involved. Overall, AHB does not live up to its claim and until a new ED comes it is tough to really know where it is headed.

Posted October 25, 2012
I feel grateful to have AHB for my 10 year old son! What I love about the school - 1. The small class sizes and individual instruction. My son is advanced in math, and so he's getting more challenging work. 2. The sense of community - parents are super involved, supportive to one another, and there's a strong feeling of community. 3. The kids themselves - bright, kind, curious, engaged. My son feels safe, like he can be himself at school. 4. Engaged, enthusiastic teachers who are at the top of their game. You can tell they take teaching seriously and are continuously educating themselves about new information, skills, and research to make them better teachers. 5. An environment that is respectful to children - they are seen, heard and understood, and treated respectfully - not simply herded from one activity to another. 6. Very organized and excellent leadership. 7. I like the focused, shorter school days - this gives my son more down time, which is helpful to him. The only negative is that my son wishes they had a larger play yard! I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 28, 2012
This school is awesome. I have been going to it for six years now and I'm still satisfied. To anyone who posted a 1 star review: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! IT'S CRAZINESS THAT SOMEONE WOULD SAY THAT THE TEACHERS ARN'T EDUCATED! Anyways, just sayin dis a great school ;D

Posted September 27, 2012
We are starting our third year at AHB and I don't have enough positive things to say about it. I am continually amazed by the teachers and their ability to engage and excite the students on a variety of topics. We love the 3 day/week schedule for the flexibility it allows us as a family - we were initially worried that there wouldn't be enough "instructional" time but because of the small class sizes and the enthusiasm the teachers nurture in the kids, they learn so much in their 3 days that I don't feel that we really need to "homeschool" at all except for ensuring that the reasonable amounts of homework are completed in a timely manner. I really feel that the teachers and staff know and care about my son and our family and that my son has learned and grown so much as a student and a person during his time here.

Posted September 26, 2012
The perfect blend of down-home family style community and grade A academic rigor. We love AHB!

AHB Community School
4001 Speedway Ave, Austin, TX  78751
Last modified AHB Community School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
AHB Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews.