K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

We are finishing our third year at AHB. My children truly love going to school. We have a small community led by wonderful teachers and involved parents. I love that my kids get to experience learning in a fun way - by completing projects, interacting with their peers and exploring their surroundings. The teachers incorporate art and music into their lessons, but still have high academic standards (without testing and the pressure of grades).

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We are truly amazed by the teachers at each level! They are calm, organized, and bring out the best in their kids.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The Alpha class has had a set of class agreements posted on the wall all year, which was "signed" (with a hand print) by all the students and the two teachers. It advocates respect, fairness, and appreciation. The kids – who are only 5-7 – gently remind each other when one of them "forgets" one or more of their rules!

We are astounded by the progress our son has made during his first year in Alpha. His teachers, Ms. Kim and Ms. Eliza, are absolute treasures. They are not only helping the kids learn to be academically proficient and creative, but also wise enough to know how much social guidance to provide as they grow into confident, yet respectful and empathetic people. We are glad that this is the "normal" that our little guy spends his day experiencing, just like the environment we try to create in our home. We feel so lucky to have found AHB, and plan to continue for many years to come.

The teachers are top-notch and the school's methodology is exactly what we have been looking for. We value the whole-child education experience, and the creative, project-based curriculum.

This school has been amazing for my 7 and 8 year olds. They have flourished scholastically an grown emotionally. They have not had one single day where they were not ecstatic to go to school. My son wants playdates with his teachers, if that's any indication! I can not say enough great things about AHB, their staff, their community, and their methods.

My daughter is finishing her first year here and I could write a book about how happy we are. I am not a board member padding the reviews. Even if I was, the board is all parents with the exceptions of the exec director and a teacher rep. It is her first year at a formal school of any kind and she is reading at a second grade level (she is 6), never has said she doesn't wAnt to go to school and even gets upset at having to take a sick day. Loving and devoted teachers, parents and staff, stimulating classrooms, family friendly schedule, community spirit. Love it.

Our children have flourished at AHB. I don't know what we like best--that our children love going to school everyday, the 9:1 student-teacher ratio, the 2 full-time teachers per classroom, the teachers' ability to challenge our children (who are above grade level), or the extra time we get to enjoy our children and direct their education. The reasonable tuition doesn't hurt either. For those unfamiliar with the school, AHB is a secular school/homeschool hybrid. The school week runs 3 to 4 days a week depending on age, and teachers send home the materials needed for home study weekly. The school is academically strong--reading and writing are emphasized, science is incorporated from kinder onward, and the math program keeps my children excited about numbers (and working above grade level). There was an executive director change-up at the school this year which upset some parents; however, a new ED is now in place. FWIW, our family is not on the parent-run board.

I find it amusing, yet not surprising that the board members of this school are writing reviews to pad the results on this site. I have been at this school for several years now and have never seen such an incompetent group of leaders (speaking to the board). My children have loved this school and the classroom experiences they have had. However, the only thing alternative is the schedule. There are some wonderful aspects academically, the disappointing thing is that they continue to use CORE standards for mathematics. Those familiar with public school standards will be familiar with this. On the bright side, a new Director brings some hope. But, unfortunately with the current leadership it may be an impossible job to get this school performing at its full potential. It is such a shame that a few bad apples can spoil the bunch. I caution people looking at this school, at least for the next few years, until they have done enough damage control to get things back on track.

If you are looking for an inspiring academic environment, filled with project-based, collaborative, meaningful instruction, AHB Community School is where you will find your academic home. For almost TEN years now, AHB has proven itself to be a leader in alternative education. The core of this school, the true heart and soul, is the incredible teaching staff, the people who bring it all to life and inspire my children to LOVE math, reading, writing, and everything else. This amazing foundation - the staff - is supplemented by an incredibly high level of VOLUNTARY parent involvement. Parents are driven to be so active and to participate at such a high level because they are contributing to something greater. AHB Community School is truly and example of the sum being greater than the parts - collectively, we create a lovely, meaningful, collaborative educational experience that has changed the lives of my own children, and many others who join them. I couldn't be happier to have the perfect school right at my fingertips!

Last modified AHB Community School is a Private school that serves grades K-8