PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

They get 2-3 assignments to do over a week and the homework is meaningful. My child comes home excited to do the assignments.

The teachers are amazing - very supportive and able to customize the lessons to my student's needs. The kids learn great problem solving skills, speak Spanish much better than when we tried teaching them through au pairs, and they just love to learn. I give Magellan full credit for all of that!

Having relocated from California, I really shopped around for immersion schools with a strong academic component. The Magellan International School blew all the other schools out of the water. The kids are inquisitive and learn critical thinking skills rather than to just follow along. It is a fairly new school so the outcomes and list of places where their graduates attend are not available but they are guided by success-proven International baccalaureate (IB) program and I predict that in a couple of years (as they get ready to graduate their first 8th grade class) we will hear about their graduates doing very well in high school and beyond. My child is in kindergarten and we are having such a wonderful experience being embraced by the community and my daughter is just thriving with the Magellan way of teaching. My only regret is that my older kids did not get to experience this school.

Amount of homework: Agree

The homework is meaningful and unlike at many schools it is not just homework for the sake of homework, there is good balance.

Develops character: Agree

There is a lot of transparency. The school was founded by a parent and there is now a 10-person board with outside educators involved as well.

We have attended Magellan for the last four years and love it. Our kids have loved everything about the school. Progressively over the years, the school is getting more and more organized. The fundraising can be a little obnoxious. They have tuition plus a recommended donation via the annual fund. They are now starting a capitol campaign. It does feel like they are charging you for every event. Despite this petty complaint, the teachers are out of this world. They differentiate to high achieving kids and keep everyone challenged. We love this school.

This is our son's second year at Magellan, and we're very happy so far. The IB curriculum provides a good foundation for lifelong learning. The school has attracted faculty that is both deeply experienced, and very passionate about their work. Spanish immersion is icing on the cake.

Phenomenal program where kids learn to think in a global context, learn how to be open minded and calculated risk takers, and have a keen sense of responsibility to not only themselves but to the community. I don't know of any other school that has the quality of teachers that MIS has - all with Bachelors degrees and most with at least a Masters, even at the PreK level! Finally, the warm and caring environment is for real, and probably a result of the quality selection of teachers who care deeply about the kids. A top notch world class school that benchmarks itself against the best international schools around the world - and we have it right here in Austin, Texas!

I have twins in one of the 1st grade classes. It is their first year at Magellan, after finishing at an excellent Montessori school. The first thing that attracted us was the fact that it is Spanish immersion, since I am Mexican (they also do Mandarin starting in 3rd grade), but what made us commit to it was the excellent academics, in particular the International Baccalaureate's Primary Years Program (PYP), as well as the passion and experience of everyone from the founder and director down. As a mathematician, married to a scientist, I can say that they use the best way of teaching numeracy (Singapore math). My kids' math and language skills have developed at an astonishing rate. The community is very involved, and the families are invariably warm, friendly, supportive, diverse and very "Austin". Teachers come from Australia, Mexico, China, Colombia, El Salvador, Spain, and the US (I may be missing some countries!). The families there are even more diverse. Just in my kids' classroom they have Russia, Poland, India, Ecuador, England, Mexico and Canada represented. The school is also truly committed to economic diversity as well. Highly recommended!

Last modified The Magellan International School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8