677 students|Wayside Schools

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework is not enough!!! homework gets done in less than 10 minutes. It's NOT challenging enough.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school picks and chooses students and parents! if you want to be treated with loyalty and respect and integrity than you much either be on the PTA board or be acquaintance with the people in the front office. They do not treat all students equally or the same!

Cannot stress what an awful office staff they have! These two woman are beyond RUDE!!! This school is not very friendly. The principal shows NO interest at all. After meeting with him previously about a concern I had, he basically brushed it off! Did nothing about the situation. Not to mention he never followed up as he said he would.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I will never be able to say enough good things about the teachers at this school. Each one put their heart and soul into their classrooms. It is not uncommon to see a teacher working one on one with a student to ensure that they are retaining the knowledge being given. They use a variety of methods to teach the concepts, and they love to have fun with the kids.

Amount of homework: Agree

I think that for the most part this school does a great job at assigning an appropriate amount of homework. unless my child is having a rough day, and fighting homework we are able to get it done in under an hour. The only complaint I have is that on larger projects I wish they would give a little more notice. I am also going to school and find it hard to adjust the schedules to fit the additional work needed when only given a couple days to complete the assignment.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I believe that the schools values these characteristics and does its best to instill them in their students. i have witnessed many times when a student has been asked to reflect on their behavior, acknowledge the good or bad, and then asked to propose a solution that would benefit all involved. By holding the children accountable to themselves it teaches them how to resolve conflict in an appropriate manner. They are molding the citizens of our future.

My family has been at this school for going on 4 years now. We started mid-way through the school's first year with my daughter, and now my other children attend as well. There have been many changes along the way, but every change has been a step forward. With our IB curriculum my students are not only expected to learn academic subjects, but also social, and other skills that allow them to see how their fit in the world. Each of my children have developed wonderful characteristics, they are empathetic, and inquisitive about the things they encounter. They are more willing to take risks, and when those risks don't pan out, they are able to reflect on the experience and learn from it. The team of teachers, staff, and administrators work so hard to ensure that the students are nurtured and challenged in a way that I didn't see happening in our traditional schools. It is great to be part of such an awesome community. #realproud

Develops character: Strongly agree

They do not tolerate bullying and work quickly to nip negative behavior in the early stages. They have very good communication between parents and staff and with the kids.

I have enjoyed being a part of this school and watching it grow. The IB curriculum has helped shape our students and the staff works well together to ensure every child is successful. As a teacher at this school, my co-workers and I create enriching activities and inquiry based lessons. I feel very grateful to work here and be part of the mission and incredible staff.

Overall I see a lot of mixed comments in the reviews here but a lot of truth and honesty. The good news is that whether critical or not, parents are obviously passionate enough about the school to take the time to share their feedback here. True apathy wouldn't drive that. This school has great potential, but it is not there yet. It can be, and hopefully will be, but it will take time. The question for most of us parents is how long are we willing to wait for a complete school and do we feel like our kids are getting too compromised during that wait? The teachers are probably the school's greatest asset and they should be commended and praised as the ones I have met are truly fantastic. The fact that they are now in their 2nd year and still don't have a library or a playground is troubling, but some better communication from the school about why that was delayed and what the new time frame is would go a long way in easing parent's concerns. Parental involvement could definitely be better, but I have seen some improvement here though.

Last modified The Real Learning Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.