677 students|Wayside Schools

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted December 09, 2015
I will never be able to say enough good things about the teachers at this school. Each one put their heart and soul into their classrooms. It is not uncommon to see a teacher working one on one with a student to ensure that they are retaining the knowledge being given. They use a variety of methods to teach the concepts, and they love to have fun with the kids.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 09, 2015
I think that for the most part this school does a great job at assigning an appropriate amount of homework. unless my child is having a rough day, and fighting homework we are able to get it done in under an hour. The only complaint I have is that on larger projects I wish they would give a little more notice. I am also going to school and find it hard to adjust the schedules to fit the additional work needed when only given a couple days to complete the assignment.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted December 09, 2015
YES! At the moment the school is working together with the REAL community to help protect a student with a life threatening peanut allergy. Each of the classrooms have discussed what this allergy means, and how they can help keep the campus safe for everyone. It warms to heart to see these young children gladly sacrificing their own comfort or desires in order to benefit others. In most cases it is the parents who are un-willing to adapt to this situation.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted December 09, 2015
I believe that the schools values these characteristics and does its best to instill them in their students. i have witnessed many times when a student has been asked to reflect on their behavior, acknowledge the good or bad, and then asked to propose a solution that would benefit all involved. By holding the children accountable to themselves it teaches them how to resolve conflict in an appropriate manner. They are molding the citizens of our future.

Posted December 09, 2015
My family has been at this school for going on 4 years now. We started mid-way through the school's first year with my daughter, and now my other children attend as well. There have been many changes along the way, but every change has been a step forward. With our IB curriculum my students are not only expected to learn academic subjects, but also social, and other skills that allow them to see how their fit in the world. Each of my children have developed wonderful characteristics, they are empathetic, and inquisitive about the things they encounter. They are more willing to take risks, and when those risks don't pan out, they are able to reflect on the experience and learn from it. The team of teachers, staff, and administrators work so hard to ensure that the students are nurtured and challenged in a way that I didn't see happening in our traditional schools. It is great to be part of such an awesome community. #realproud

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 31, 2015
They do not tolerate bullying and work quickly to nip negative behavior in the early stages. They have very good communication between parents and staff and with the kids.

Posted June 10, 2015
I have enjoyed being a part of this school and watching it grow. The IB curriculum has helped shape our students and the staff works well together to ensure every child is successful. As a teacher at this school, my co-workers and I create enriching activities and inquiry based lessons. I feel very grateful to work here and be part of the mission and incredible staff.

The Real Learning Academy 4

Posted October 15, 2013
Overall I see a lot of mixed comments in the reviews here but a lot of truth and honesty. The good news is that whether critical or not, parents are obviously passionate enough about the school to take the time to share their feedback here. True apathy wouldn't drive that. This school has great potential, but it is not there yet. It can be, and hopefully will be, but it will take time. The question for most of us parents is how long are we willing to wait for a complete school and do we feel like our kids are getting too compromised during that wait? The teachers are probably the school's greatest asset and they should be commended and praised as the ones I have met are truly fantastic. The fact that they are now in their 2nd year and still don't have a library or a playground is troubling, but some better communication from the school about why that was delayed and what the new time frame is would go a long way in easing parent's concerns. Parental involvement could definitely be better, but I have seen some improvement here though.

Posted October 12, 2013
The REAL Learning Academy is a school that has a staff that cares deeply about the students they serve! My son has learned more in the past year than he would have at a traditional public school. The teachers have extremely high expectations for parents and students regarding academics and behavior. They hold us all accountable so that we are all working together to create the best school for our children.

Posted October 10, 2013
The REAL Learning Academy is a fantastic school with suburb teachers and staff who care deeply about the children and their educations. It is a great community to be a part of. The teachers do a great job of teaching the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum and it has made a huge impact on my children's lives already. The REAL Learning Academy is a great place for children to learn to be great thinkers and grow into great leaders of tomorrow. Very blessed to be a part of this amazing school.

6405 Interstate 35 Frontage Road, Austin, TX  78744
Last modified The Real Learning Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
The Real Learning Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top