Austin, TX
Students enrolled: 2,607

Posted February 18, 2015
I'm perplexed as to how "great schools" has suddenly rated this as a 9?! This is an Excellent school, but not perhaps for some students who don't do well in at a large school, or with the rigorous work. Westlake HS is definitely a 10, and is well known and most likely instrumental in getting my kids into the top colleges they are now attending.

Posted November 01, 2014
Great school with so much to offer. We moved to Austin due to a job change and our child was quickly welcomed and made to feel a part of everything. There is a lot of money but a lot of really good kids who are working hard to get to college. Junior and senior teachers are great. Freshmen and sophomores get the newbies or less excellent. Tons of clubs and activities to get involved with.

Posted December 17, 2013
As a student that goes to this school, I can say it's a very friendly place and a way to make new friends. Everyone see' sit as the rich, snooty, no good rich kids school but really it's not. The people there aren't at all what everyone describes them to be. The teachers are dedicated to helping students, and they are all pretty much friendly. I moved there my sophmore year from Dallas because my old school (Highland Park High School) was just a terrible environment and you could literally use every single stereotype against Westlake and hold it true against Highland Park. Overall a Westlake is a great place and I've noticed people there that talk bad about the people there and other things when they really aren't actually trying to get know people or trying to study. But if they really did, maybe they'd see the good in the school and people. This is my Junior year and I can personally tell you that this school is absolutely wonderful. Not like Highland Park in Dallas TX.

Westlake High School 1

Posted November 08, 2013
My daughter transferred here this year thinking it would be better, back to AISD it is! She learned nothing here. My daughter hated it. I wouldn't recommend Westlake.

Posted November 01, 2011
I moved from AISD to Westlake and immediately, from the first day of freshman year felt there was a HUGE academic gap between AISD and EISD(Westlake) staff, and students. (WESTLAKE IS MUCHH BETTER IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE!!)

Posted June 27, 2011
I am going to be a Sophomore at Westlake high school this coming 2011-2012 year. I am very happy at this school. Westlake does have a pretty bad Reputation about having a bunch of rich mean people who think they are better than every one else. Well what school doesnt have those type of people. The students here could not be any more welcoming and sweet to everyone. The teachers are AWESOME! They know what they are doing, and yes they do give a good amount of homework and you will hate them for it. But truth is it helps your grades. The distict that Westlake is in is very welcoming to transfers. I am a transfer myself but treated no diffrently. I wouldnt want to go any where else. Go CHAPS

Posted June 16, 2011
This is one of the great High Schools in the state of Texas. Although very competitive in the classroom and on the sports fields, there are opportunities for everyone fit in. The 25 -30 student class sizes, although larger than most, not had any negative effect on my children. I have 4 kids in the eanes school district and I am forever greatful that these schools were recommended to me when I moved to Austin. Even the foreign exchange student we hosted fit in quickly and had the most enjoyable year of her life. Budget cuts are a fact of life. It is the tremendous parental involvement and support that helps to make this a great school.

Posted November 11, 2009
We love this school. Moving to Austin from Silicon Valley, we picked the Eanes school district immediately. It was a no brainer - every school in the district was exemplary. Their testing scores were through the roof and the high school ranks in the top 100 of schools in the nation. The teachers are mandated to have graduate degrees but more importantly, they care about the students. The students themselves are wonderful - conscientious kids who have the highest regard for academic excellence. My high schooler was amazed by the difference between her friends in CA and at Westlake High. The latter were all over studies and their future while the former tried to coast to get through high school (and the CA high school was among the best in the Bay Area). The programs and electives are incredible.

Posted November 09, 2009
Football may be king, but all the programs at Westlake excel. The 'country club' sports of golf, swimming and tennis are all perennial regional and state champs. The art, theatre and journalism departments are phenomenal. And, although kids tend to choose just one or two areas in which to become involved, I have known many kids who are both exceptional athletes and involved in student government, art or theatre. The band and orchestra programs are also great. All of the extracurriculars enjoy tremendous parental and community support. Of course, most important, the academic programs are outstanding. No matter whether your child is destined for the Ivy League, UT or community college, they will leave WHS well-prepared. The AP courses are challenging and rigorous, but the average student also is tended to in regular-level classes. In short, the school offers something for everyone. Great teachers, great college counselors, great parents, great kids!

Posted April 29, 2009
Westlake Seniors have been accepted to all of the Ivy League Schools! About 3,000 AP tests given and these kids rock! There is something for everyone at this high school. it is NOT just about football! My son has been in the Technical Entertainment Crew and he is very involved in the school and had excelled here! He is also in all regular classes and was accepted to all 7 universities he applied to! He was able to choose the right school for him with the help of the college and career counselors! Westlake has been a positive experience for both of my children and they both got of Westlake without using drugs, driving a BMW and getting a DUI! Great parental involvement! Go CHAPS!

4100 Westbank Drive, Austin, TX  78746
Last modified Westlake High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westlake High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 69 reviews. Top