Austin, TX

Posted April 08, 2015
I have two children who attend Forest Trail Elementary and they absolutely love school and learning. Each day they come home wanting to read and learn more. I think it because the teachers and administration value curiosity and individuality. The staff focuses on the whole child not just the academics. They are still learning the skills they need to be successful learners as well. Charles McCasland trusts his teachers and is a wise leader. He encourages his teachers to focus on children's strengths, so they will be motivated to learn at Forest Trail and for a lifetime. I am so thankful that my children are Forest Trail Falcons.

Forest Trail Elementary School 1

Posted February 17, 2015
When we moved to Austin, we moved to Westlake to be in the Eanes District after being told my multiple people that this was the best district for intelligent, creative kids. Our child has attended 1st and 2nd grade here, and we are looking to move out of the district this summer. The comment before mine regarding the Principle couldn't be more spot on. My child is extremely bright and could benefit from a little more organization and leadership from his school. My child experienced a MAJOR jump in expectations from 1st to 2nd grade. My husband and I have been blown away by what they expected him to know and be capable after one summer. None of it was at all grounded in what had been taught the previous year, and we the parents, continue to search for ways to assist our child to help understand what is being taught. At this point, we are both just of the mind to "get him through it" to get him OUT. The lack of leadership is painfully obvious and the lack of communication from Admin regarding educational expectations and tools to assist them is borderline negligent.

Forest Trail Elementary School 3

Posted February 01, 2015
Forest Trail is sliding downhill. Teacher turnover has been high the past two years, and the replacement teachers are not up to par. The principal, Bruce McCasland, is elderly and actually retired but the district pays him as a consultant while also covering his retirement so he is a huge drain on the district's coffers and totally not worth it. He is out of touch with modern teaching methods and requirements and is a very weak leader. His hiring decisions the past several years reflect this. His workload consists of standing in the hall and smiling vacantly at parents during big events and then going back to hide in his office so he can leave at 3:30 and work a 30 hour week. If your child is not in the mainstream, i.e. If your child is extremely smart or if your child has special needs, forget it . The administration at Forest Trail does not want kids who are more than a standard deviation away from the norm, and if you try to get advanced instruction or a change in protocol to modernize teaching methods for a special needs child, you will run into a solid brick wall. Bruce McCasland is retired and he wants to coast, coast, coast.

Posted September 30, 2010
I just love the school. Been there for 3 years now, the teachers are excellent they care for the children, the school is beautiful, parent involvement is high with a lot of success helping the school grow. Great resources for kids to study learn and have fun. However, kids have to study, they also care for test results (the way the rated exemplary every year is having high scores).

Posted September 18, 2008
We moved here from another State and in my opinion, this school is awesome. Great leadership, awesome teachers and very good programs. The computer lab/teaching is far superior than our previous school. High parent involvement. I don't have a special needs child but my friend does and she hand selected this school.

Forest Trail Elementary School 1

Posted May 17, 2008
I had to remove my child from this school because it is not a safe environment. Routine bullying and extreme lack of supervision on the playground. Forget asking the principal to do his job; he looks quite tired and is below mediocre. School teaches to the TAKS. Not a good place for gifted and/or special needs children.

Forest Trail Elementary School

Posted March 10, 2008
The children have high test scores because the population of children in that area are very bright children. The teachers provide plenty of creative learning activities for the children, especially the music teachers.

Forest Trail Elementary School 3

Posted June 06, 2007
The teachers are very good and I believe they have the best intentions, however, they teach to the test, which may account for some of the high test scores. I was happy for my child to attend this school and district, but I also found that it suffers from the same issues as probably all schools and districts, including children with severe discipline problems who, as a result, require more time and distract teacher efforts with other children. There is also a lot of parent involvement, but many times it appears to be a competition of parents to see who can 'one up' the other in terms of who has what and who can give what. Diversity is also lacking.

Posted March 28, 2007
Our son has been in Forest Trail for two years. We strongly recommend this school. Teachers are responsive, parents are involved and the school sponsors numerous events that the children enjoy. Also, our child required ESL assistance and this program is EXCELLENT. The teacher is dedicated to the childrens' success in English. She, smartly, uses science, computers, Lego robots and other devices to teach the language skills. We are very happy with this school and recommend it for anyone moving into the area.

Posted January 11, 2006
Being so lucky to have our daughter at Forest Trail, is amazing. Everybody at the school is talented to teach and to deal with kids. Also having a daughter with english as a second language, just havent been a problem in just a few months she was loike an American student...Re. activities I would prefer if the kids could be more outside especially in PE, they are to much inside. Rest is fine. Parent involvemnet is fine in the beginning of the school year but I notice before Christmas people are just not interested anymore. The Principal is the most fantastic person, he is everywhere and he is doing such a great job with all the employees and kids at school. You are lucky to have him at Forest Trail.

Forest Trail Elementary School
1203 Route 360 Loop, Austin, TX  78746
Last modified Forest Trail Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Forest Trail Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top