Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 01, 2016
Students volunteer in many ways, through honor society, the Academy for Global Studies, PALS and several other programs. I think the culture definitely emphasizes helping others. The students raised thousands of dollars to make all the entries wheelchair accessible.

Posted August 01, 2016
So far, we have had a wonderful experience at Austin High. We love the band and jazz programs and the other fine arts programs are strong, as well. The Academy for Global Studies provides students with some exceptional experiences. KAHS is the online media program and is also strong.

Posted April 09, 2014
We had the same experience at Austin High in senior year with our dyslexic daughter. The dyslexia grapevine made us aware that typically only one 504 meeting was provided in any public high school. Many parents do know their rights and those of their students. However, it is just not useful to spend the energy to bicker with a system that has no desire to educate students that learn differently. We discovered this in elementary school when the school was unwilling to evaluate our daughter. Thus, began our reliance on a private resource system that provided the assistance our daughter needed, and assisted us in knowing our rights. Public education was not willing to provide the information. It is unfortunate that not all dyslexic students have parents that know their rights to advocate for their students. Nor do some families have the resources to provide private assistance to their students. These students are at a great disadvantage and more likely drop out of school or are unprepared for life after high school. Please help these students. They can be successful if only they receive the support they need.

Austin High School 1

Posted February 07, 2014
This is in regards to the parent of the student with a 504. You need know your rights as a parent. The school was not in compliance with the law. You could've/should've filed due process. I'm sorry to hear about your struggle to get your child the services needed.

Posted November 08, 2013
I used to be a pre-ap freshman biology teacher at Westlake High School. I quit because the students simply didn't try or succeed. At Austin High I can see a huge difference in the way they've been taught. They try and accede my expectations. They listen and participate in class unlike the students I taught at Westlake. The staff at Westlake was cold and didn't seem to care about the students success and how they were doing. I would not recommend going to Westlake. I've been loving Austin High School, and would highly recommend it for anymore willing to work hard and try hard. Go maroons!

Austin High School 3

Posted November 05, 2013
This school is a long standing high school with wonderful student diversity. Yet, it could benefit from more rigorous standards that motivate students at all levels. At one end of the spectrum grad rates are low for a 5A school, at the other end there are few national merit finalists in each grad class. Extracurricular activities are not incredibly strong. Theater is quite strong. Music related groups are weak but some improve. Band is not an inclusive group. Athletics is a brighter spot as it attempts to reach out to a variety of students. The new AD strives to hold all students to the same standards and to make the students feel included in the teams in which they participate.

Posted October 10, 2010
Austin High is rich in tradition and has excellent teachers. Student body is diverse. Theater Department recently won state UIL competition.

Posted September 07, 2009
I am currently a sophomore at Austin High School, and I definitely disagree with some of the reviews on this website. I have had a great experience at AHS over the past year that I have been attending this school. The population is diverse, so everyone can find people they have things in common with and get along with. I have taken all pre-AP core classes, and have had great teachers for all of them. I always feel as though I learn something every day, whether it is from a textbook or a casual conversation with a teacher. The extra-curriculars are amazing! The theatre program is the UIL state champs, the football team has won both of the games they've played this year, and the band is talented! If you are thinking about coming to AHS, DO IT! It is a good school if you are willing to do your best!

Posted February 21, 2009
I attended AHS for all four years of high school. I got a great education there and was well prepared for college. The teachers care about their students and will help you succeed. While my TAAS/TAKS scores were never the highest, I did graduate with a 3.8 GPA, so don't let the test scores fool you. There are many great extracurriculars, many of which I participated in. Over all this school is excellent and a great choice for students.

Posted September 12, 2008
Austin High School has had a great year so far, ever since Dr. Calzada kicked in. More school spirit, and the first day of school wasn't so lousy like all the other years.

1715 West Cesar Chavez Street, Austin, TX  78703
Last modified Austin High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.