Austin, TX

Posted October 22, 2014
Becker Elementary is one of the finest schools I have had the opportunity at which to volunteer. I have four grown children and I am so amazed at the superior experience the Becker children are receiving. I am a grandmother of six and two of our grandchildren have the privilege to attend Becker. I volunteer in several capacities and observe almost daily the high quality and stellar education these children are receiving.

Posted August 29, 2014
Becker is such a great school with wonderful faculty and staff who continually make the campus a comfortable home for the kiddos. The community of Becker is such a lovely aspect of this unique creative gem of a school. Principal Borchers is so valuable to the success of the school with the aim of educating the whole child at the utmost. The collection of families that make Becker their home is pretty special. It's a wonderful community. With a comprehensive dual language program, chicken coop, garden classroom, and so much more...it is a pleasure to be a part of Becker.

Becker Elementary School 2

Posted August 25, 2014
more time spent managing bad behavior than learning. teacher allowed child to bully/take advantage with no consequences. teacher on computer most of day, learn your 'reading' at home.

Posted April 01, 2014
My son has been at this school a short time, but both he and I are really happy with it. Principal Borchers does a great job--she greets the students by name at the door almost every morning is very accessible to parents. My son's teacher is great--she is very supportive of the unique aspects of his personality and doesn't try to get him to conform to a mold. Even the school receptionist is so warm and caring with the students. What I like most about the school, in addition to the staff, is how devoted it is to the dual language program. I transferred my son to Becker specifically for that program and it is well worth our additional commute time. My least favorite things are the criticisms I have of any public school--too formalistic, too much emphasis on order and structure, etc. If you live in Austin and want your child to grow up bilingual, it's an easy choice--Becker.

Posted March 26, 2014
Our first-grader has been in the dual language program at Becker since pre-K. Each teacher she has had--two per year (they often switch classrooms for language arts), in addition to the "specials" teachers and librarian--has been fantastic. The current principal is warm, enthusiastic, and supportive. We don't speak much Spanish at home, but our daughter now seems to understand most things said to her in Spanish, and she often chooses to write in Spanish even when it's not required. The school environment is vibrant, and the kids are, generally and in our experience, compassionate, empathetic, and interesting. My husband is an educator who works in a financially richer school/district where we could transfer our kids if we wanted to, but our experience at Becker, even though its resources are at times limited and heavily supported by the fantastic PTA, continues to blow the other school out of the water.

Becker Elementary School 4

Posted March 26, 2014
There are many things I love about Becker. The unique mix of parents and students create a very accepting environment. The facilities are one-of-kind, with the best garden in the district, a chicken coupe, multiple playgrounds and a beautiful building with lots of history. We have met many wonderful parents and had many wonderful teachers. My daughter is in second grade and I am starting to see her Spanish skills emerge. There is always room to improve, but overall we are very happy with Becker!

Posted May 30, 2013
My daughter just finished kindergarten at Becker and we are both looking forward to years to come at this great little school. The population is diverse in culture and socioeconomic status, yet it's small size allows for everyone to meld together into a true community. It really is a gift. The teachers are wonderful (especially the P.E. coach and art teacher), and although the Dual Language program and Green Classroom are big draws for incoming families, the community of dedicated teachers, staff, and parents is what makes being a part of this school a really wonderful experience.

Becker Elementary School 1

Posted September 13, 2012
This school is awful! My son was actually subjected to reverse discrimination. The 4th grade level is more like kindergarten. Spelling 1 and 2 letter words and doing simple math like 2+2!!!! The other kids are using bad language. Don't send your kids here!

Posted December 08, 2011
I just want to say that Becker really is a great school. My children went there a couple of years ago and I was kind of worried about them being in an AISD public school because I wanted to continue to homeschool them. Well, the expereience was great! I absolutely loved all their teachers and some of the teachers there have been there for over 20 years! That's awesome! Anyway, we moved and they now go to Oak Hill Elementary. Not too many issues with that school but I quickly realized how much we missed Becker. There is such a sense of community there and teachers are so great!

Posted January 14, 2011
I have a child enrolled in kindergarten, in the two-way dual language immersion program. In this program, students from different language backgrounds learn content in two languages, English and Spanish. The goal is academic bilingualism by the end of 5th grade. My child is happy there. Her main content teachers are excellent, as well as the special areas teachers. The staff work very hard to work with a diverse population - diverse in terms of ethnicity and socio-economics. The current principal has turned the school around in terms of academic achievement. It is a wonderful opportunity for children to receive the gift of learning in two languages, and we very much appreciate it.

Becker Elementary School
906 West Milton Street, Austin, TX  78704
(512) 414-2019
Last modified Becker Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Becker Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top